Author Topic: Looking for Parents of Rebecca Morris  (Read 7234 times)

Offline punch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Parents of Rebecca Morris
« on: Friday 04 September 09 22:35 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with finding the names of the parents of Rebecca Morris born about 1789 in Caldecott, Rutland.  On the IGI her mother was listed as Elizabeth Morris - no father was mentioned.  It could be that Rebecca was born out of wedlock or that her father's name was Morris.  Any information that possibly might be found in Parish Records would be great.

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Parents of Rebecca Morris
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
St John the Evangelist, Caldecott, Burials
09/09/1833, MORRIS, Elizabeth, 57
16/01/1841, MORRIS, Elizabeth, 77
I'd already looked up Morris burials for another RootsChat member today.
Perhaps you should try and interface.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Parents of Rebecca Morris
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 August 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me with finding the names of the parents of Rebecca Morris born about 1789 in Caldecott, Rutland.  On the IGI her mother was listed as Elizabeth Morris - no father was mentioned.  It could be that Rebecca was born out of wedlock or that her father's name was Morris.  Any information that possibly might be found in Parish Records would be great.

Hi :)
I have the parish records from Caldecott if you are still looking for info. I know this is an old thread, and you probably have already got the information that you need, but I thought that if you were still looking I have the records..
My ancestor was Jonas Morris, the son born out of wedlock to Elizabeth Morris and Thomas Weston in 1797. I believe that your Rebecca Morris may also have been born out of wedlock to Elizabeth Morris and if they are the same Elizabeth Morris, then she could be Jonas's sister.  I don't know who Rebecca's father was, as his name wasn't listed on the parish records, but Thomas Weston was named as the father of Jonas in the parish records. I don't know if Elizabeth Morris was her married name or her maiden name when she had her children, so Rebecca could be legitimate, but I don't know for certain either way. It would be very unusual for the father to have not been named, if her birth was legitimate. Thomas Weston was married to Frances Smith and they had at least nine other children together both before and after Elizabeth had given birth to Jonas and Rebecca. 

Elizabeth's Surname was mis transcribed...if that is a correct word?? And is recorded as Elizabeth Norris for the birth of Jonas, which might explain some confusion. These Morrises are a tricky bunch to pin down as they all have the same first names, but with Jonas being a bit more of an unusual name, it has made it a bit easier to track down.

An odd thing is that there is another Morris lady who also had a child out of wedlock around the same time. That was also noted in the Parish records, whereas Rebecca's father wasn't.
Anyway, let me know if you want me to check the records for you, its been a while since I looked at the disc.

Best wishes