Author Topic: Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry  (Read 26805 times)

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, This is my first post here, although I have read many message and think this site is just wonderful and the moderators are spectacular!

I am researching my Jamieson/Jamison family from the Waterside area of Londonderry. David Alexander Jamieson was  b 1891. His father was Thomas Jamieson who married Minnie (Mary) Campbell also 1891, 2nd Presbyterian Church Gllendermott. Thomas' father was John James Jamison ( variant in spelling). He was married to Sarah Steel. John James was also father to Martha Jamieson (who married Alexander Jamieson 1889 also at 2nd Presbyterian Church Glendermott)  and Andrew Jamieson. I would love to know if anybody has any information on Jamiesons in the Waterside or Londonderry in general. Because Thomas and Minnie died whilst my grandfather David was very young,( i.e about 8 years old), there has been a breakdown in passing on family information. Since I live in Australia now what is the easiest way to access a birth cert for John James please?

I believe there may be a connection with Jamieson's from the Eglinton area also but have not proved this as yet.

I have discovered that John James Jamieson was also the father of William John Jamieson  who married Eliza Mary Hunter in 1886. William was a clerk at that time and Eliza Mary Hunter was a teacher. Eliza Mary's father was William Henry Hunter. John James Jamieson was listed as a clerk also on the marriage record  and William henry Hunter was a farmer.

In the 1911 census I see that William John Jamieson was a widower and was father of Sara Jamieson aged 23, William Hunter Jamieson aged 19 and John Steele Jamieson who was 15 years old. William John jamieson was a grocer.

Thanks so much!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. First of all, this looks like your David Jamieson in 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002856573/
The name is transcribed as David D. but the scanned image says David A.
The address is Spencer Road (no house number), Waterside. Head of household is Martha Campbell, 26, and also there is her sister Sarah Campbell, age 22. Both are costumers dressmakers, single, born Co.Donegal. David, listed as nephew but they've made so many mistakes (see form) that he could be cousin, age 18, engineer in foundry, born Londonderry city.

With this link you can search for other relatives in 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

Now to answer your query re: birth certificate- civil registration of births, deaths and Catolic marriages began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages). As Thomas Jamieson was married in 1891 is father John James Jamieson would have been born before 1864 so there will be no birth certificate. 
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that info. I had heard rumours that my grandfather David Alexander was "brought up" by his aunts after his parents died. Also that they were dressmakers. I am so so grateful to you for adding to this family info. David Alexander was an engineer and he lived in Spencer Road after he married. Thanks again. I will look at that link for sure.

So if I can't find any birth cert for John James is there any further way of finding out who his father was?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
IGI (International Genealogical Index) at www.family.search.org lists 4 children for John James Jamieson and Sarah Steel-
Robert born 18 Mar.1865 Glendermott
Sarah Jane born 19 Feb.1867 Glendermott
Martha born 19 Apr.1869 Co.Londonderry
Andrew born 9 July 1871 Co.Londonderry

Since the family seem to be Presbyterian and it's likely that John James and Sarah were married after 1845 (start of marriage registration) there should probably be a marriage registration for them. See here for index (free)-
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that. There are many John Jamiesons (surprisingly to me ) so I will have a good look around. Thanks again,Linda

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 09 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Coolafinney,

I do research into 1st World War soldiers from Londonderry.
There are a number of Jamiesons that served with the 10th Inniskilling Fusiliers.
James. A, Thomas and Charles, plus another Inniskilling, Herbert W.
James A. and Herbert were brothers with an initial address of Duke Street in the 1911 census, but with a later address of Eglington, after the war [C 1920].
Duke Street and Specer Road are very close to each other in the Waterside.
There is also a James Jameson that is listed on the Glendermott Presbyterian Church Roll of Honour for those who served in the war. He too served in the 10th Inniskillings.

Have you looked at the Ulster Covenant on the Public Record Office Northern Ireland web-site?

Rob

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob, Thanks so much for that. It is very interesting and I will explore the possibilities of those names being part of my family. I am so glad that you are interested in those men who served and whose memory is kept alive by people like you.

I acquired some of  my grandmother's papers and photographs and I had always been intrigued by a photograph of a young soldier in dress uniform in front of a very exotic backdrop. The studio was
in Trimulgherry India. On the back is an inscription which says to Miss
Maggie Quinn ,(my grandmother)  from Henry A Adams G Coy, 1st R Innis Fus R, Gough Barracks ,
Trimulghery (sic) India 10th 1st 1914. I happened upon the Diamond Memorial Project based in Londonderry and found his name on there with some information about his army life. Turns out he was my grandmother's cousin, son of Elizabeth Adams nee West  who served in India. He went to the War and  lost his life in 1919. I did a little bit of research on his batallion and I believe he may have  died at Gallipoli.

Thanks for the other names. Finding people like this enrich our family histories.

Yes I have looked on the covenant. There are quite a few Jamiesons on there including my grandfather (although his name is spelt Jamison).
Thanks again,
Linda

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 08:04 BST (UK) »
Linda,
         I have done a quick look up on your Henry Adams on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. Henry died in France on 15 July 1916. I think that the Diamond Memorial Project site says that it was his mother Lizzie who died in 1919.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob,
Woops, sorry, of course it would have been earlier than 1919!!  Thanks for pointing out my error.
Cheers,Linda