Author Topic: Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry  (Read 27000 times)

Offline Graser5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 October 10 15:05 BST (UK) »
no direct relationship that I know of, but is this the Martha born April 1869 who married Alexander in 1889 at 2nd Presby. Church in Glendermot?
Graser Meidel Reinig Stoehr Waldbock Stadler
Stroh Bach Tyler Marriott Tilley Spence Smith Fudge Gilbert Taylor Winsor Zeitz Fueller Schenk Weigand Haupt
McKay Sweeney Gibney O'Shea Jamieson McAlinden Miskell Casey McMichael (Carmichael) Smith McMurray Devlin

Offline cassidys17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 October 10 15:36 BST (UK) »
no direct relationship that I know of, but is this the Martha born April 1869 who married Alexander in 1889 at 2nd Presby. Church in Glendermot?

Hmm, this is interesting - the Martha in my family was born around 1869-1870, she was a Presbyterian and did marry an Alexander Jameson. I shall have a quick look to see where she was married and get back to you shortly!  :)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 October 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Alexander Jamieson married Martha Sterling in St. Columbs Church of Ireland, Londonderry City on 19 Jul 1995.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline oakmead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 October 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, This is my first post here, although I have read many message and think this site is just wonderful and the moderators are spectacular!

I am researching my Jamieson/Jamison family from the Waterside area of Londonderry. David Alexander Jamieson was  b 1891. His father was Thomas Jamieson who married Minnie (Mary) Campbell also 1891, 2nd Presbyterian Church Gllendermott. Thomas' father was John James Jamison ( variant in spelling). He was married to Sarah Steel. John James was also father to Martha Jamieson (who married Alexander Jamieson 1889 also at 2nd Presbyterian Church Glendermott)  and Andrew Jamieson. I would love to know if anybody has any information on Jamiesons in the Waterside or Londonderry in general. Because Thomas and Minnie died whilst my grandfather David was very young,( i.e about 8 years old), there has been a breakdown in passing on family information. Since I live in Australia now what is the easiest way to access a birth cert for John James please?

I believe there may be a connection with Jamieson's from the Eglinton area also but have not proved this as yet.

I have discovered that John James Jamieson was also the father of William John Jamieson  who married Eliza Mary Hunter in 1886. William was a clerk at that time and Eliza Mary Hunter was a teacher. Eliza Mary's father was William Henry Hunter. John James Jamieson was listed as a clerk also on the marriage record  and William henry Hunter was a farmer.

In the 1911 census I see that William John Jamieson was a widower and was father of Sara Jamieson aged 23, William Hunter Jamieson aged 19 and John Steele Jamieson who was 15 years old. William John jamieson was a grocer.

Thanks so much!

Offline oakmead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 October 10 16:36 BST (UK) »
Have just seen your post for Jamison. I used to visit their house in Spencer Road as Maggie Jamison was my father's cousin. This was in the 1940's and 50's.
I am decended from the Wests of Coolafinney in Eglington. My grandmother is Elizabeth West, who married John Adams. My dad's eldest brother is the Henry A. Adams on the war memorial. My father also had cousins named Quinn. I have some photographs of the West and Adams families, also a photograph of some of the Jamison family taken in the back garden of the house in Spencer Road.
Will post again when I collate some photographs and information for any of you who are interested, as soon as time permits.

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 October 10 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe, Thanks so much for your post and the very exciting links which you mentioned. My grandmother Maggie Jamieson (nee Quinn ) used to talk about her West family all the time. Her father was Thomas Quinn and her mother was Mary West. Mary West's father was from Eglinton. I think Mary and  your grandmother Elizabeth were sisters. Some of the West family emigrated to Australia, one of them, Major West  was a  ship's surgeon and his brothers followed him there and they became graziers and have a family homestead which has been restored  although not owned now by the West family. I would love to hear any more of your family stories or memories and to see the photos. I have a potograph of Henry Arthur Adams that you might be interested in so I will get that scanned for you. I am astounded by your message!!
Kind regards,Linda

Offline oakmead

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 09 October 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda
Thanks for the prompt reply. I never thought I would ever see a West/Adams/etc post on the internet.
I will write some stuff out in longhand during the weekend, and talk to one of my sisters.
My dad had a good story about an uncle who was a ships doctor, which was handed down in the family.
Will contact soon.
                                       Joe.

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 October 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joe, I can't wait to hear your stories!  My great grandfather, Maggie Jamieson's grandfather was called James West. There was also a Joseph West. Did you ever hear of him? I wonder how he fitted into the family? Like you I never expected to see a West conection on here. I was so thrilled when I found out who the soldier in my photo was through the War Memorial project but I never though I would be writing to one of his relations!
Look forward to hearing more,Linda

Offline summer2012

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 05 April 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a John James Jamieson in my family tree. We dont know much about any of this branch of the family. The family name changes from Jameson/Jamison to Jamieson.
All i know that Margaret Hall born in Irleland  daughter of George Hall was married to a Charles Jameson/later Jamieson son of Alexander Jamieson on the 16th May 1861 in Belfast Antrim
They had a daughter Margaret Jamieson who was born 4 years before their marriage (perhaps charles was married before) born in Irleand
They had John James Jamieson born in 1861 (no birth certificate age taken from census.) born in Irleand
and Hannah 'anne'  Jamieson born in Liverpool, England. They family lived in Regent Street Liverpool later after leaving Irleand.
Sadly Charles a dock labourer dies aged 41 in June.
Margaret remarries a widower David Gillespies a sailmaker in liverpool several years later.
i cant locate Hannahs brothers or sisters after the 1871 census.
When Hannah died John James Jamieson was listed as her 'dad'
Hope you get this message. If this rings right with any information you have or could be the same John James Jamieson please leave a message. I'll check back here for messages.