Author Topic: Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry  (Read 26810 times)

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson?Jamison Waterside Londonderry
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 June 16 19:36 BST (UK) »
I'd say that Catherine and Kathleen are one and the same. I've several Catherine's in my tree from that era (and area) that were known as Cassie. Maybe she gave her name at the marriage as Cassie and the minister recorded it as Kathleen? As an aside I've noticed a regional difference between the names Kathleen and Catherine...I've lots of Derry Catherines but no Kathleens!
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline emstrjg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 17 June 16 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hello familyroutes.  I am beginning to think you are right and that Kathleen is in fact Catherine.  I take on board that Cassie is also a diminutive of Kathleen.  Your suggestion that the minister at the wedding may not have been impressed by someone giving her name as Cassie and 'suggesting' Kathleen might be more appropriate is interesting.  The marriage certificate actually has the bride and groom signing the document.  In other words it is not a transcribed copy.  This means she will have signed it as Kathleen knowing she was 'born' a Catherine.  People do take on new names for whatever reason and she may have done this some time before 1920.  Maybe that happened in this case.  Interestingly I have just (literally) come across the death cert of the father of the siblings which shows a Kathleen Jamieson daughter as being present at death.  I think that confirms that there was a Kathleen in the family and was probably 'Catherine'. Thank you for your help.  It is always useful to get other thoughts on a subject.

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 17 June 16 18:24 BST (UK) »
Maybe she didn't know she was christened Catherine if she was known a Cassie from the word go!!!
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline grannygeek4

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 23 April 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, It appears to be quite a while since you posted for Jamison.  My great grandmother was Margaret Jamison born abt. 1941 in Londonderry and lived in Eglinton.  I don't know her parents' names but based on the Irish naming tradition, they could have been James and Sarah. 
She was married to James Farren.

Hope to hear from you and share information.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 November 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello, It appears to be quite a while since you posted for Jamison.  My great grandmother was Margaret Jamison born abt. 1941 in Londonderry and lived in Eglinton.  I don't know her parents' names but based on the Irish naming tradition, they could have been James and Sarah. 
She was married to James Farren.

Hope to hear from you and share information.

Just came across your first post here (welcome to Rootschat) but I think you mean Margaret Jamison was born 1841 not 1941?
Children of James Farren & Margaret Jamieson- Eglinton is the sub-registration district-
Elizabeth (1865 Doneybrewer) LINK
Margaret (1867 Doneybrewer) LINK
Mary (1870 Doneybrewer) LINK
Hannah (1872 Doneybrewer) LINK
Sarah Bella (1878 Campsie) LINK

If they were Catholic then marriage might have taken place before civil registration of Catholic marriages (1864) which means you'll need to look for a church record of their marriage. Possibly they had other children born before the start of birth registration (also 1864) so church records might give details on those as well.

This might be your James & Margaret Farren-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Eglinton/Campsie_Lower/1527546
If so, looks like James Farren committed suicide in 1903-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05662/4594290.pdf
Possible death for Margaret- informant daughter Lizzie McLaughlin-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1905/05603/4575049.pdf
Here's Elizabeth's marriage to Charles McLaughlin-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1885/10858/5964678.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Wallabywest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 07 September 23 10:34 BST (UK) »
Just coming very late to this chat, hoping a few people can help or I can maybe help too.
I see there has been mention of the West family from Eglinton (Muff) & the Jaimeson family, some who moved to Australia. That would be my line.
My 4 x Great Grandfather is Thomas West b abt. 1768 who married Elizabeth Jaimeson b. abt. 1766.
Along with his brother John West b 1756 (m. Martha Ross) came out with their families in 1821. They were both graziers & I believe John was a land surveyor in Ireland. Their brother Major b 1777 was a surgeon & arrived in 1815 a widower at the time.
They also had two other brothers who stayed in Ireland I believe Henry West b. 1770 (m. Jane Inch) & James West b 1775.
Hope someone is still out there looking. It's a big rabbit hole.

Offline Wallabywest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 07 September 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe, Thanks so much for your post and the very exciting links which you mentioned. My grandmother Maggie Jamieson (nee Quinn ) used to talk about her West family all the time. Her father was Thomas Quinn and her mother was Mary West. Mary West's father was from Eglinton. I think Mary and  your grandmother Elizabeth were sisters. Some of the West family emigrated to Australia, one of them, Major West  was a  ship's surgeon and his brothers followed him there and they became graziers and have a family homestead which has been restored  although not owned now by the West family. I would love to hear any more of your family stories or memories and to see the photos. I have a potograph of Henry Arthur Adams that you might be interested in so I will get that scanned for you. I am astounded by your message!!
Kind regards,Linda

Linda,
You may be interested in my family too. My 4 x Great Grandfather is Thomas West m Elizabeth Jaimeson brothers John, Major, Henry & James some of which came to Australia. Looking to fill in many holes.

Offline Wallabywest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 07 September 23 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda
Thanks for the prompt reply. I never thought I would ever see a West/Adams/etc post on the internet.
I will write some stuff out in longhand during the weekend, and talk to one of my sisters.
My dad had a good story about an uncle who was a ships doctor, which was handed down in the family.
Will contact soon.
                                       Joe.

Joe,
I'm hoping all the West investigators are still on here.
The Uncle you speak of is my 4 x Great Grand Uncle Major West who came to Australia in 1815 & ended up being the Assistant Surgeon in the Sydney Colony amongst other things & the story of getting most his equipment taken in a pirate attack on the high seas.

Offline joeadams1940

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 31 October 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Joe,
I'm hoping all the West investigators are still on here.
The Uncle you speak of is my 4 x Great Grand Uncle Major West who came to Australia in 1815 & ended up being the Assistant Surgeon in the Sydney Colony amongst other things & the story of getting most his equipment taken in a pirate attack on the high seas.

Hi Wallabywest. This is Joe from a new account as I no longer have the login for the oakmead account.

For some reason I searched for "West family Eglinton" for the first time in many years. Saw your post and recognised that to be my family. I am the grandson of Elizabeth West from Eglinton. She was my father's mother and died long before I was born. She married my grandfather Adams who was a English soldier from Bermondsey in London. They lived in Cross Street (in the census it is spelled as Gross Street) and then Ebrington Street for many years, and that is where I was raised. Looking forward to hearing from you and we can exchange more information in the coming weeks.

Joe