Author Topic: locating early 1800's home in aberporth  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: locating early 1800's home in aberporth
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 September 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
Various reasons.

The head of each household had to complete what is called a household schedule, distributed ahead of time by the enumerator. These were then collected by the enumerator and the books filled in (as you see them) by him, so........

A household might have been missed at any of the stages or pages/pieces could be missing (this was particularly high in the 1861)

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 00:20 BST (UK) »
ah, i get you. - so that would explain why some 1861 records of different branches of my family are nowhere to be found!

so tell me, is there a template of one of these schedules available for us to see? id love to see what they had to try and fill in considering most would have been illiterate! ;)

thanks again :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 00:32 BST (UK) »
If you go here:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/census/#schedule

and scroll down the page, you'll see an example.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
great stuff!

it seems that the childeren used to fill the schedule in as they were in attandance at sunday school or indeed school, and as such were more skilled at writing than the parents!

amazing thanks ;)

Offline meaty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 October 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
well just a little update on this and this might help others searching for housenames in ceredigion. a chap called iwan wmffre wrote a series of books not that long ago about all the housenames in ceredigion. its a colossal bit of work that surley deserves an award. anyway i found waun listed as being part of helyg fach, the present day name for a property neighbouring waun. it is listed as being present on an 1811 os map which i have to go to the national library to see.

so yes anybody researching house names should check it out, its in the archives on marine terrace, aberystwyth. it even details the first mention of the property back to 1594. unbelievable. ;)

Offline Saralynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 June 12 07:19 BST (UK) »
Before the Internet when my late father was doing some research on our Aberporth family, he was told by the researcher that pages of the 1841 census for Wales were missing.