Author Topic: Brotherton/Thirsk  (Read 3994 times)

Offline eagar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brotherton/Thirsk
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
Thank you so much, this is very helpful and gives me a little more to go on . I can now start to track the reserve movements prior to his being wounded and also may be get into the Hull Daily Mail archives.
Thanks again
Elaine :)

Offline North of Watford G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 September 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
 ;)
Thats what we are here for to help one another.

Cheers Roger.

Offline eagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
After looking at the marriage certificate and some other info I have now found out that Ethel Thirsk was in fact born as Ethel Cotton asuggested above and married a John Thirsk. They had Walter, and then they parted for whatever reasons and Hilda May and Frank B were born. In the 1911 census they were living with Frank Brotherton.  They then went on to have 3 more children: William H, Doris and Liliam. They got married in 1914. Lilian who was born in 1916 probably never saw her father. I am not sure of the next part yet - are there living relatives? Walter Thirsk certainly has them, they are on Ancestry, but are there any Brothertons out there? :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 October 09 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Elaine,

Thanks for coming back with the information, so she was Ethel Cotton after all, as I suspected.  Did the marriage certificate give her status as widow or divorced?

We can't post details of any living relatives on here, but hopefully someone will recognise the family and contact you.

Kind regards
Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline eagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 October 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
yes, the marriage cert said 'widow' although I am not sure about that one! Its all very interesting.
Thank you so much for all your help
regards
Eaine

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 October 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,

Ethel Thirsk was in fact born as Ethel Cotton asuggested above and married a John Thirsk. They had Walter, and then they parted for whatever reasons
On the Yorks bmd site http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/ there is a marriage for a John Thirsk to an Ethel Cotton in 1904 and a possible death for a John H Thirsk in 1905

It might be worth checking this death certificate to see if it was the right John Thirsk, as her later marriage cert says widow.  It still doesn't explain why she waited until 1914 to marry Frank after living with him and having his children, but there could have been a number of reasons, it wasn't uncommon.

I am not sure of the next part yet - are there living relatives? Walter Thirsk certainly has them, they are on Ancestry, but are there any Brothertons out there? 

It depends what you want to look for - if wanting to go back in time you could get her first marriage cert and find her family in census etc, or you could ask about living relatives on websites that look for connections, not sure if you want to research Ethel Cotton, or the Brotherton line.  It's entirely up to you, with this research you can go in any direction you choose, hope you enjoy it
 :)

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline hel55fab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 February 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
I am walter thirsk s grand-daughter  we knew his mother had been married several times I didn't know that frank was a soldier I am. still trying to trace what had happen to my granddads father as my living aunt always was led to believe he went to America .

Offline eagar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 February 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear hel55fab
I have been doing the family tree a while now and seem to be slowing down with it so it was fantastic to see this posting.
Do you know anything about Frank?, did your Grandfather talk about him?. I would love to know what he looked like or if there are any stories about the short time he was Walter's step father.
I have info that John Wilson Thirsk b1882 d 1912 in Grimsby (according to the Kennedy family tree on Ancestory) but was living in Hull at the time of the 1911 census. His father was also John Wilson and mother Jane Graham.
I know that Frank and Ethel had another 5 children: Hilda, Frank B, William, Doris and Lilian. Did you ever meet any of them as your great Aunts (I think the two boys maybe died as I cant find any records for them)
I also think Ethel married again to a Hall, as you say lots of husbands!
It would be lovely to hear from you again.
kind regards - Elaine
We are going to visits Frank's grave in Flanders at Easter

Offline hel55fab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 July 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi ,I’m travelling to France this August and myself and brothers are going to pay our respects to frank brotherton, as he was our grandads stepfather yours Helen