Author Topic: Where was Claringbold - Isle of Thanet?  (Read 13535 times)

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Where was Claringbold - Isle of Thanet?
« on: Sunday 06 September 09 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just wonder if anyone has any idea where "Claringbold" was. I have an obituary of a Bella Goss Pearson Kidd in 1890 which says she was of Nightingale Hall ( which was near Ally Pally) and Claringbold, Isle of Thanet

Thanks for any information
Jackie ;D
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Claringbold - Isle of Thanet?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 03:11 BST (UK) »
Found these using google

Claringbold House, St Peters, Isle of Thanet

Claringbold House, St Peters Road, Broadstairs  (Kelly's 1903)

Alexander House School,  Claringbold & annexe, St Peters Road, Broadstairs  (1936)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Linda, that gives me a clue to where it was in Thanet anyway  ;D
Jackie

Offline Giles4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
Claringbold was in St Peter's Road, between Hildersham House School (demolished) and Selwyn House School, the building of which last still exists as flats.  The rear entrance to Claringbold was opposite Green Lane just by the flint barn that also still exists - also now as flats. Opposite the house was The Lodge which exists as flats (or did a few years ago) .

Claringbold House was a pleasant, double bow-fronted building probably from the later 18th century in about 4 acres.  It was bought c. 1920 by Wm Green and greatly extended in similar architectural style to house Alexander House School which had previously been closer to the sea.  When the school closed c.1965, it was sold, the house demolished and houses erected on its site and gardens.

I may have a picture somewhere if you would like this.

Giles 4

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Giles4 for that information and welcome to Rootschat.

I know Bella was quite a wealthy woman, she had married a Thomas Pearson in London and then after his death a John Kydd in 1877 and was wealthy enough to subsequently divorce him in 1880 ;)  She was quite a woman by all accounts and the National Archives have a number of references to her suing various large corporations, so quite indominitable  ;D ;D ;D

I would love a copy of the picture if you have one

Thank you
Jackie :D

Offline Giles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
The house certainly suggested well-to-do owners.  Despite extensive grounds, and an imposing exterior the building was not large by the day's standards and was, perhaps, bought as a seaside villa for the warm months.  Interesting features that disappeared during the war (WW2 ) were the very handsome wrought iron railings and main gates, which had an arch over them.  These divided the property from St Peter's Road. They were a slightly more modest version of the railings round  Buckingham Palace and very impressive!  Looking back, I would guess the height of the railings to have been about 10 feet - though I was a  very small boy at the time so size could have been deceptive! The gates were considerably higher, with the arch at a height that could allow safe passage for coachman and footmen riding outide a carriage.  The old stable had been converted to a garage by the time I knew the house (1936) but the paddock for horses remaoined and was used as a playing field

When the railings/gate, like so much ironwork all over the country was cut down by the Government to provide raw materials for weapons, there was something of an outcry.

Another feature was the lovely garden that strecthed from the front of the house to the boundary with Selwyn House ie running parallel with St Peter's Road.  It retained much 18th century elegance, with an avenue of very fine cedars (6 or possibly 8)  running its length.  I wonder if this had been the original main entrance with a gate in what became the boundary wall with Selwyyn House, which was a rather later building.  One tree fell in a storm c. 1948

The exact location of the grounds is found by visiting Maxine Gardens  and Wayne Close on the right as you walk up St Peter's Road toward the church.
Crossing Sowell Street you pass a shop and then after passing  a small development of houses (in the grounds of the former St Christopher's House), come to Selwyn Court - the old Selwyn House School. Selwyn Drive opposite occupies that school's former playing fields. Then  Maxine Gardens.

Hildersham Barn (dated c.1805) marks the end of the Claringbold property.: a right of way existed into Claringcold here.  Hildersham House had been another gracious house that was converted to a Prep school by its owners c. 1900.  Harrow Dene and Hildersham Close mark its former existence.

Will try to find the picture - and make a rough plan of the place as I knew it.

Hope this isn't too long!

Giles4

Offline Giles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 May 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
One of two pictures we have has been found - still looking for the other!

The one attached (dv) shows the house from the main gate - with St Peter's Road behind the photographer.  The formal garden is to the right, the vegetable garden and playing fields  beyond the one visible tree.

Have drawn a rough sketch of the plan of the old house which we can try to forward if you'd like this

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 May 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Giles for all that information it is brilliant ;D

You may well be right about it being a summer residence as Nightingale Hall in London was a fair size building near to what was to become Alexandra Palace. Bella and her husband sold off part of the land to the railways to allow them to build Ally Pally railway station for the great Exhibition ;D and seems then to have become embroiled in litigation with the railway company presumably about how much they were paid for it ;)  I still have to get to the NA for all the information  I didnt come across any reference to Claringbold until Bella married John Kidd who seems to have been a chemist of some description.

Thank you so much again for all this information it is fascinating
Jackie

Offline Giles4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
Here is a sketch plan (not to scale) of the ground floor of the original house. Sizes of rooms are approximate (from memory, all that remains, alas) and you'll see that they were very large by to-day's standards.

Apart from making a way through to the later school buildings, very little was changed.  However, in the room marked as "Study" there was a small window high in the wall between the French window and the door. The sister of Mr Green, headmaster of the school, told me that originally  there had been a small room with a WC and washbasin there.

Upstairs, the main bedrooms corresponded exactly with the three main reception rooms. In addition there was a smaller bedroom or perhaps  dressing- room (c.12x12) over the front door and between the two largest bedrooms.

Over the kitchen was a bathroom, large storage cupboard and servant's bedroom.  Over the downstairs servants' sitting rom and applestore was another bedroom with bathroom/lavatory attached. This may have been for another servant or perhaps for a poor relation!

All doors and the staircase were of mahogany, and beautifully made. Some ceilings had mouldings.  It was a lovely place.

A number of well-to-do people had houses for summer months in Broadstairs. The most exalted was the then Princess Royal (daughter of Edward VII) who was also Duches of Fife.   North Foreland lodge was her summer residence. This later became a school (for senior girls in this case) as did many larger Broadstairs properties..including, of course, Claringbold.

I hope your researches go well.