Author Topic: Searching for Beacom families  (Read 27946 times)

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Beacom families
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 February 10 11:10 GMT (UK) »
The Beacom family have lived at Clogher for centuries - they now own & run Corick House, ancient home of the Storeys who came over to Ireland in 1688 with Dean George Storey. The Beacoms know their Family History because of the historic Corick House connection.     

Offline ginny44

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 February 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jack Storey for that information.

More Beacome marriages

BEACOM, William, s/o William
md. Anne MCMANUS, d/o Philip, on 5 Jun 1861
     Margaret BEACOM, bn. 20 Jun 1864

BEACOM, John      md. Catherine KERR
    John Robert BEACOM, bn. 29 Jan 1868

Here is a link to website showing a gravestone of a Sarah Beacom. 
If this is not allowed, please delete this and I apologise in advance.
http://www.tammymitchell.com/cofermanagh/view.php?id=501

Kind regards

Ginny

Offline RKL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 February 10 04:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a James BEACOM GGG Grandfather, b. circa 1780 I believe in Ennisskillen, FER. James BEACOM m. Sarah BROWN (b. abt 1785). James BEACOM was in inspector (of revenue and not police).

I have 3 recorded children

Elizabeth (Eliza) b. abt 1820 at Seabridge (?), Glassdrummond, FER. On 29 January 1841 Eliza married James Henry LEONARD and the couple emigrated to Australia the same year. They are my GG Grandparents

James b. abt 1810 m. Maria HOLDEN. I am in contact with descendants of one of the six children from this marriage (in Australia)

Mary b. 1805 m. Thomas JONES. I have been in touch with descendants of one of the children of this marriage (in England)

Let me know if this helps.

Keith Leonard

Offline kathleen carol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Beacom family history as well.  Patrick Beacom married Nancy Ann Keenan, they lived in North Ireland, town of Enniskillen, county of Fermanagh, possibly around 1820.  They moved with their 5 children to the United States (due to the potato famine) in about 1846.

We will be visiting Ireland in 2011 and would like to find any of our Beacom relatives if at all possible.

I would also like any information on the above family anyone might have.
Thank you

Offline mrmuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 April 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Just curious whether you've come across a Hugh Beacom in the U.S.  I descend from the Bickham family, with confirmed ties back to Hugh Bickham, who signed U.S. military papers as Hugh Beacom.  I posted a note in the Common Room about him; I'll reproduce it beloow.  I would appreciate any help you may be able to provide.  Thanks! --L.
~~~
I descend from the Bickham family, but my many-times-great-grandfather Hugh signed a U.S. military paper in the 1790s as Hugh Beacom (we are certain this is our ancestor the military paper was passed down in the family).  Later records show the spelling as Bickham.  Many family researchers have hit a wall and cannot find any earlier family record.

Hugh had a son, also named Hugh, who told the Census in Texas in the late 1800s that his father was b. in Pennsylvania.  But Hugh Jr. was estranged from his father (we know because Hugh Jr.'s whereabouts were listed as unknown in Hugh Sr.'s will), so maybe Hugh Jr. was wrong.  I have to wonder whether Hugh lived in Pennsylvania but actually was b. somewhere in the British Isles.  We know he married in Bourbon County, Kentucky, in 1803, and moved to Logan County, Ohio, in 1823, where he died in 1847.

By searching through information about Beacoms in Pennsylvania, I came across the following information on ancestry.com.  What makes this interesting to me is that Hugh Sr. had a distillery in Logan County, Ohio:

John Beacom, b. 1765 in Ireland, d. 1847 in Franklin, Westmoreland Co., Penn.  "First of the Beacom branch to come to the U.S. -- From Edinburg, Scotland. He settled in the Scotch-Irish county of Pennsylvania, Westmoreland - west of the Allegheny mountains. Particularly Scotch in religion and character. Covenmasters and highly educated and deeply pious. Owned vast amounts of land in Franklin township. Grass/hay and took fifty men with old-fashioned scythes and rakes to harvest the crop. Juice of apple and corn was freely distributed among the haymakers, and John
Beacom prospered abundantly from the hay and had his own distillery located on the farm."

Could Hugh and John have been brothers who came to the United States together? If you have any information that might help me, I would deeply appreciate it.  Hugh's parentage is a mystery, and DNA testing has only served to confirm that the people who previous researchers speculated to be Hugh's parents (Caleb Bickham and Rachel Scull) actually could not have been.

Thanks very much!  Cheers.

Offline Beacom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 May 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

My grandfather (Lowther William Beacom) was born on Scallen Farm in Irvinestown, County Fermanagh in October 1873. He was one of 7 brothers and a girl, Evelyn or Evylyn.

Their father was Lowther Beacom as well. I am not certain of his middle name.

There was one brother that went to Australia, one to Scotland, One to the USA, two to South Africa and two remained in Northern Ireland.

My grandfather and one brother, Edward were the two that went to South Africa on 1 Jun 1910. Edward later went on to become the mayor of Oudtshoorn. He had two daughters.

in 1924, my grandfather married Isobel Campbell (Born in Lisburn, N.Ireland)
They had 6 children.

Please feel free to contact me on my e-mail address: (*)

Best regards,

Gregg

Moderator's Comment: Email address and names of recent family members (living and dead) have been removed - see posting guidelines in help pages. Please use PM (personal message) system to exchange such details- members need 3 posts to use PM.
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jackstorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 15 May 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
OK - I'm only aware of the Beacoms who own the Corick House Guesthouse at Clogher, County Tyrone.   This house was the original home of the Storeys from Cumbria, includes much of the original furniture of that period - early 1700s, & this accounts for my interest.   Mrs Beacom lives there and knows a great deal about the Beacom Genealogy - you should send her a letter or better still - find Corick House on Google - sorry I cannot assist on this. 
Jack Storey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 15 May 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to Corick Country House website- this is the History page which mentions the Story family, etc.:
www.corickcountryhouse.com/history.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mrmuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 15 May 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, everyone!  I have emailed Mrs. Beacom at the Corick Country House.  Greg, do you know the name of the brother who went to the USA?