Author Topic: Percy Blake & Amy Ladd  (Read 4527 times)

Offline alloy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Percy Blake & Amy Ladd
« on: Sunday 06 September 09 10:30 BST (UK) »
looking for marriage... Percy Arthur Blake  was b Redlynch 1884  and Amy Hilda Ladd b Upper Walmer  Kent in 1880.

They both appear  on 1901 census working at  -Eyre Matcham's at Bramshaw

The 1911 census shows Percy at Hinton Admiral Stables Christchurch
Groom Domestic SINGLE

Percy died in 1939 at Bordon, Hants and in the probate  Amy is  shown as the "lawful widow and relict"

I have searched everywhere and been unable to find a marriage... HELP!

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Blake & Amy Ladd
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 12:52 BST (UK) »
Do you know of any children and if so, where they were born?  This may give a clue as to where the marriage might have taken place.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alloy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
99.5% certain there were no children .. my father said they had none  and Amy's death was recorded by her sister Ella Marie ... I have searched the indices at the GRO several times... and the IGI and other online sources.  I began to think they were not married, but the lawful widow and relict suggests otherwise

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 14:31 BST (UK) »
How far into the GRO index did you search?  I recently discovered a marriage in the 1930s that would have been anticipated mid-1890s.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alloy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 09 14:43 BST (UK) »
i have  done the lot ! ... 1890-1939 when he died both looking through all the blakes and all the ladd's

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 09 19:34 BST (UK) »
Do you know the parentage of Percy Arthur?  I can't find him in 1891 but there is an Arthur aged 7 in the household of Sydney/Rosina BLAKE and family at Redlynch with their niece Ellen WALLING born London.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Offline alloy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 09 20:10 BST (UK) »
Yes Percy was my father's brother ... b 1884 in Redynch Wiltshire to  Francis and Elizabeth (nee Gauntlett) On the 1891 census he was living with them at Hatchet Green RG12/909 ff 107 page 4 sched 24
in 1901  working fror the eyre Matcham's at bramshaw RG13/1050 ff 77 page 3 sched 10
and in 1911  at RG14PN5813 Hinton Admiral Stables Christchurch
 He died  in 1939
========
Amy was born in 1880 at High St, Upper Walmer, Kent on the 1881 census she was at Dover Road, Walmer, Kent with her parents  Stephen and Elizabeth (nee Daniels)  on the 1891 census she was at 12 Belmont Cottages, Walmer, Kent  in 1901 she was  working with Percy at teh eyre Matcham's RG13/1050 ff77 p3 schd 15 but then she dissappears ...have not been able to find her on the 1911 census  but she regsiters Percy's death ... and then her death is recorded in 1964...

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast have transcribed the surname BLAKES in 1891, which gave me food for thought.  My English teacher was a Miss LADDS in the 1950s.  Is it possible that the simple addition of an 'S' could throw the search engines?  ??? 

Alternatively, do you know if Percy served overseas in WW1?  Many men with equestrian skills were recruited for the Army Veterinary Corps and, if Amy volunteered her nursing skills, it conjures up new scenarios.

Offline alloy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 September 09 08:27 BST (UK) »
I have searched for  all the permutations I can think of for both surnames.. but it could well be  one I havent thought of ... but it would mean  a spelling error on both names as I always search for both!

I have never managed to find any  record of army service for either of them... although it could be  relevant taht they finished up living n ear the big Army camp at liss/Bordon..

Will just have to keep searching... thanks for all your guidance