Author Topic: Davison (or Davidson) of Evenwood, Co Durham & Appleby, Westmorland, 1800-1830  (Read 1560 times)

Offline santuster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me with the birth/baptism details of:

Ann Davison (or Davidson), born about 1802 in Evenwood, Co Durham.
John Davison (or Davidson), born about 1824 in Evenwood, Co Durham.

At that time, Evenwood was in the parish of Auckland, St Helen (or possibly Cockfield).
What I particularly want is the names of the parents - but any family details would be interesting.
There is an LDS entry for an Ann Davidson, christened on 2 May 1802 at Cockfield - but no details of parents are given.

Both later lived in Appleby, so I am cross-posting on Westmorland too.
Both spellings of the surname were used. Ann signed her marriage certificate with an X so I guess it was up to the official.

Just in case anyone is already researching this family, I will give some background:

Ann was my great, great grandmother. Born 1802 in Evenwood;
Married George Preston, nailmaker, at Appleby 23 May 1836;
Children: Ann (b 1843 Kendal), Margaret (b 1847 Kendal)
Widowed 1855. Remarried to Thomas Taylor at Kendal 1856.
Died 1877 at Kendal.

I am trying to enstablish the relationship between Ann and John.

My knowledge of John comes from the 1861 census for Appleby Westmorland. There is a family including:
John Davidson, Head, Married, aged 37, nailmaker, born Durham Evenwood.
Ann Taylor, Mother-in-law, Married, aged 59, nurse, born Durham Evenwood.

I am confident that the 'Ann Taylor' is my ancestor. Most particulars match and she is missing from the 1861 census at her home in Kendal.
Also one of John's children appears in the 1871 census as a visitor with one of Ann's children.

What puzzles me about the 1861 census entry is that Ann couldn't be John's mother-in-law.
She shares surname, place of birth and the link with nailmaking with John - not with his wife.
The possiblilities are:
(a) They might be siblings (unlikely because of the 22 years difference in age)
(b) They might be half-siblings.
(c) They might be cousins.
(d) John might be Ann's illegitimate son (because he has her surname)

If I could find out the names of both their sets of parents - it might clarify the situation.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davison (or Davidson) of Evenwood, Co Durham & Appleby, Westmorland, 1800-1830
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post on the Durham board already has some replies so please add on to that one and I will lock this to avoid duplication of effort.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,404723.0/topicseen.html
Andrea