Author Topic: Who should the Family Bible be handed down to?  (Read 65305 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who should the Family Bible be handed down to?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 December 06 09:55 GMT (UK) »
There are no such items in my family, so I have no clues from experience.  If I did have one, I would give it to an archive if they were interested in it, where it can be preserved with appropriate temperature controls, with a proviso that it be made accessible to descendants or family's researchers.
To me, daughters make sense precisely because women typically lose their surnames on marriage.  With a family Bible, you retain a record of women's lines which would be very difficult to duplicate through research.
However, nowadays records are much easier to trace, due to civil registration etc., so I think it should go to the eldest female who is actually interested in its contents and in sharing the information in it.  Failing that, a male.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 December 06 11:31 GMT (UK) »
All very interesting, and the definitive answer on all this probably would be derived from an amalgamation of these views. 
Now, Mogsmum, where's that piece of paper on which I've written a list of possible Christmas presents I've still got to go out and buy for my mother and daughter and...!  (That's one theory I'm not going to argue over, but you may well get a few male Rootschatters coming at you now...)
keith

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 December 06 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Gee Keith...did Christmas sneak up on you?  Small hint for the future....it's the same date every year .......December 25....just keep saying that to yourself .... December 25,  December 25, December 25.......because the day will change and the year will change and we wouldn't want you to be unprepared again. (men are so easily confused )

And I definitely think that family bibles should go to the oldest daughter because then I would have my families.....well, once my mother gave it to my older sister and I wrestled her to the ground for it.........well, worth any jail time involved 

dollylee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 December 06 10:45 GMT (UK) »
As the youngest daughter of the youngest daughter, I must protest, dollylee  :D

I have possession  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 11:10 GMT (UK) »

I'm an only daughter, an only child, so I was the lucky one ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Well thanks to this thread, I now know why the family bible came down the family the way it did, despite bachelors, spinsters and only children, it has meandered down through the females of the family to lucky me ;D

Due to this meandering, I have the maiden names of some of the women, I probably wouldn't otherwise know.

Helen
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales

Online Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Dollylee,
Managed to survive Christmas day, but as it's the 26th December it must be Boxing Day already and time to get those boxing gloves on and try and get that family bible back!  But isn't that a completely wrong interpretation of the meaning of the day - now, where's my Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable...
keith

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 16:46 GMT (UK) »
On my maternal side, my first cousin once removed had our family Bible.  It was passed down to him from my mum's uncle.  He has since died and I believe his wife still has it. 

I do not know his wife personally, but have managed through another cousin to obtain her contact details.  I am going to write and ask her if she still has the Bible and if she has any objection to letting me see it or indeed have it.

Fingers crossed  :)

Dolly

See the Surnames I am researching on the surname interest table

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 19:02 GMT (UK) »
It must be great to hold a family bible and read the words an ancestor has written years before. I have no such family treasure, but recently found some distant relatives on GR and was kindly sent a digital image of some pages from the front of a family bible and some digital copies of photographs, none of which I had asked for, nor indeed knew about, but am so happy and grateful to have and treasure.

So hope goes out to everyone who is searching and hope you come out trumps.

I'm the youngest in my family and wonder who will run off with the family photo album, when the older generation are no more. I imagine my siblings will expect to take them as they are older, but they show no interest in the family history and have no one to pass them onto either. May be next time I see the photo album I should squirrel some way!  ;D

Pipkim  ;D
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives