Author Topic: William Gledhill  (Read 9393 times)

Offline SandraAmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Gledhill
« on: Monday 07 September 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out what happened to my Great Grandfather William Gledhill, born in Elland in 1861. He married my Great Grandmother, Amelia Foot in 1885 in Halifax Parish Church. They were together in the 1901 census, living in South Parade, Halifax, but by the 1911 census my Great Grandmother was living with another man in Gateshead. When my Grandmother married in 1917, her father (William Gledhill) was said on the marriage certificate to be deceased, but I can't find a record of his death, even after buying two incorrect death certificates! My Grandmother's marriage was witnessed by the "new" man in her mother's life - so I wonder if William really was dead? My Great Grandmother didn't marry her "new" man until 1937 when she was 72!!
Gledhill - Halifax
Foot(e) - Stoke Trister
Horton - Birmingham
Woolley - Birmingham
Medley - Leeds
Manley - Canada

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Gledhill
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi SandraAmy,

Welcome to Rootschat :)

There is someone with your family on a public tree on Ancestry.  They have a death for William Gledhill as 20 Aug 1946.  This entry does not appear to be on the England/Wales death index, nor is it on the Scottish indexes.

Wonder if your William emigrated.  If you wish I could send a msg to the tree owner on Ancestry and notify them of this thread.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandraAmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Kath.

I think the Ancestry tree you mentioned belongs to my cousin, Roy. But he doesn't have confirmation of the death date, as far as I know. Amelia and William had three children, and I have marriage certificates for them all. The first, Minnie, was in 1910, when William's occupation was given as "dyer", but as Sam Medley ( my great grandmothers new man) was a witness at the wedding, I doubt that William gave her away! The second wedding (my grandmother, Nellie) and third wedding (son Ernest) both took place in 1916, and their father is described as "Deceased" on both certificates.
I can't remember my grandmother ever mentioning her father.
I have found a William Gledhill on the 1911 Census, living in Shipley with a Jane Ellen Gledhill. Both Williams were born in Elland, and this one is the correct age, but I don't know how to establish if this is my Great grandfather with a new "wife" or not.

SandraAmy
Gledhill - Halifax
Foot(e) - Stoke Trister
Horton - Birmingham
Woolley - Birmingham
Medley - Leeds
Manley - Canada

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi SandraAmy

If William Gledhill signed the 1911 census, you could compare that with the signature on his marriage cert to Amelia (the parish record copy rather than the GRO one). 

On the subject of the 1911 census, what is the age of Jane Ellen, as I suspect it has been mistranscribed (it is shown as 1829, age 82 on the search), as well as her place of birth?

On FreeBmd marriages in the district of Huddersfield in 1907, there is a William Gledhill and Jane Ellen Wylie listed on the same page.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston

Offline SandraAmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
Wow Kath, Thanks for that.

I've got a copy of the original census page, and her age looks like 82 on that as well. This Jane Ellen was born at Coxwold in Yorkshire. I've looked through lots of the various census returns for Coxwold, searching for any Jane Ellen who might fit the bill, but drew a blank. I'll have another look for the surname Wylie. There are a lot of dates to look through bearing in mind she might have been 82 in 1911!
My copy of Amelia and William's marriage certificate is the GRO one, unfortunately.

SandraAmy
Gledhill - Halifax
Foot(e) - Stoke Trister
Horton - Birmingham
Woolley - Birmingham
Medley - Leeds
Manley - Canada

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness; that is quite a difference in age!  Should have also asked what is the number of years married on the 1911 census.

Kath

Offline SandraAmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
It says they've been married 4 years.

SandraAmy
Gledhill - Halifax
Foot(e) - Stoke Trister
Horton - Birmingham
Woolley - Birmingham
Medley - Leeds
Manley - Canada

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 September 09 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi SandraAmy,

Great the number of years fits with the marriage in 1907.

There is a Jane Ellen born 1881 (12 hours old on the census) in Ampleforth, whom goes on to live in Coxwold.  She was born illegitimately as Wood but is listed as the daughter of Richard Wylie on the 1891.

Wonder if she went to put her year of birth as 82, instead of her age on the 1911 census :o

Kath

Offline SandraAmy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 September 09 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Kath. Brilliant.
I will send for the marriage certificate to find out more about this William Gledhill.
The prospect of solving this mystery is so exciting.
I will let you know!
Very best wishes
SandraAmy
Gledhill - Halifax
Foot(e) - Stoke Trister
Horton - Birmingham
Woolley - Birmingham
Medley - Leeds
Manley - Canada