Author Topic: Lymiecleuch (Limiecleuch, Lymiecleugh)  (Read 6986 times)

Offline scotartist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lymiecleuch (Limiecleuch, Lymiecleugh)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:54 BST (UK) »
hi
i will look into all of this for you
miners worked at rowanburn near canonbie --it was not unusual for sone etc to leave family farms then to seek work as things were tough
i imagine your family left here because canada offered them a chance of a better life
farming in the mid 19th century held nothing but long toil and little reward -Scotland then was in the middle of the industrial revolution and farming was being left behind by mant sick of the toil and especially in hill farming --little reward was made from hill lambs --rents had to be paid for farms first before family put food on the table
i myself had family leave hill farming to go to Idaho in the USA  to farm
Rosemary and I often look at derilict houses such as The Wisp and it saddens us that so many generations lived died in these places and left their native soil
Sometimes taking a quite moment to can hear the voices of sadness for those forced by circumstance to leave the native land --in many ways Scotland is a sadder place for the countless numbers forced to leave this beautiful country

Offline scotartist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:58 BST (UK) »
all of those names jardine bell armstrong etc are still here
you must forgive my spelling i am very dyslexic
we will look at parish records for you and the kirkyard headstones

Offline SandyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Can you dig it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 September 13 18:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've often thought while doing my research that it must have been really sad for them to leave Scotland, but they had some family already here, some Graham cousins, Richard Graham (they were horse breeders).  I have a letter from my great-grandfather who describes the journey and that they first stayed in Markham, Ontario with family and then when to Cairnbrogey (sp) (a farm that Richard Graham had), before they settled in Claremont, Ontario.  I noticed that the family was still in Scotland by the 1851 census and then they show up in the 1861 census in Pickering, Ontario (near Claremont).  I've found that the 1901 Canadian census actually shows in column 12 the 'year of immigration' -- for George, my great-grandfather, it says 1852 (or 3 hard to make out since the census' were hand written). 

They did very well here George went on to be a very prominent Blacksmith and had 16 children by two wives! (charcoal image of him attached).  Some of George's brothers were also blacksmiths.  My great-grandfather was also a blacksmith and my grandfather as well.

George's parent William Graham and Hannah Bell settled in Nottawasaga, Ontario (Simcoe county) and I believe they farmed.

Ironically, it appears that George was named after George Lindsay who was George's father's neighbour (it appears from the 1851 census that both William Graham and George Lindsay were both coal miners).

Graham:  Westerkirk, Hutton & Corrie, Canonbie
(5th GGGGG)William Graham & Agnes Byers
(4th GGGG)James Graham & Isabella Borthwick
(3rd GGG)William Graham & Hannah Bell
(GG)Margaret Hogan, 1860 Mhow, India, Hoggan -- County Down, Ireland

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 February 23 17:37 GMT (UK) »
My 3x great aunt, Eleanor Church, lived at Lymiecleuch until her death in 1873. She and her sister Margaret farmed at Park house in Canonbie after their parents died and it looks like they must have had the tenancy of Lymiecleuch for a while as well.
Eleanor's probate record in 1873 gives Lymiecleuch as her address, and her sister's address (executor) as Lymiecleuch and Parkhouse in the parish of Canonbie.
It looks absolutely gorgeous from the pictures you've posted. But quite remote for 2 older ladies and not particularly near Canonbie or their brother's farm at Carlesgill.

I haven't found an MI for her in Canonbie so I wonder whether she was buried nearby.
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Cochrane, Anderson - Haddingtonshire, Fife, Clacks
Brodie - East Lothian
McDonald, Hamilton, Finlay, Morn - Paisley
Smart, Robertson - Kirkcaldy & Dysar, Fife; Dundee
Chesters, Allen, Pennington - Cheshire & North Wales
Christer - Cumberland, Northumberland, Cumbria, N Lincs
Altorfer, Haller, Feller - Switzerland

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 23 17:49 GMT (UK) »
This is possibly her MI at Canonbie?
To the memory of James CHURCH who died at Park House July 3rd 1854 aged 75 years. Also of Jane BRODIE his wife who died September 14th 1853 aged 75 years. The memory of the just is blessed. Also of their daughter Eleanor who died at Carlesgill 20th February 1873 aged 82 years. Also of their daughter Margaret who died at the Manse Cupar Fife 31st of March 1876 aged 66 years. Also of their daughter Mary CHURCH who died at Clinthead Langholm 25th July 1893 aged 76 years. He giveth his beloved sleep.

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 February 23 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's her!
The three daughters who didn't marry lived long, healthy and independent lives as farmers, which I'm really proud of. My ancestor, their sister Jane, also died at the Cupar Manse.

How do you pronounce Lymiecleuch anyway?
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Cochrane, Anderson - Haddingtonshire, Fife, Clacks
Brodie - East Lothian
McDonald, Hamilton, Finlay, Morn - Paisley
Smart, Robertson - Kirkcaldy & Dysar, Fife; Dundee
Chesters, Allen, Pennington - Cheshire & North Wales
Christer - Cumberland, Northumberland, Cumbria, N Lincs
Altorfer, Haller, Feller - Switzerland

Offline SandyD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Can you dig it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 01:19 GMT (UK) »
So I thought this was pretty cool...I knew you could look at old maps (historical 1841+), so I went here: https://www.scottish-places.info/towns/townmap3328.html to see Lymiecleuch, if you select 'historical' and then "+" zoom 3 times you can see the names of buildings like Park House, Lymiecleuch, Woodhouse, Marsh House, etc. and then go to freeCEN https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl, select census year i.e. 1841 enter surname, county etc.  select 'find' and you can now see who were the neighbours and who lived in what houses...very cool.  Bonus for me was to see that my g-g-g-grandfather and wife lived next door to George Lindsay who was married to Margaret (she was Margaret Bell, my g-g-g-grandmothers sister! now it makes some sense that my g-g-grandfather was named George Lindsay Graham!)
Graham:  Westerkirk, Hutton & Corrie, Canonbie
(5th GGGGG)William Graham & Agnes Byers
(4th GGGG)James Graham & Isabella Borthwick
(3rd GGG)William Graham & Hannah Bell
(GG)Margaret Hogan, 1860 Mhow, India, Hoggan -- County Down, Ireland