Author Topic: The Dowling family Vic. or NSW  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
The Dowling family Vic. or NSW
« on: Friday 04 March 05 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hope some one can help with the Australian strand of the Dowling Family.
I have just received a death cert. from Drummoyne, Sydney for a Henry A. Dowling ( with many thanks to Jaki and Wendy Mc  who put me on the right trail ). The cert. tell me he married a Margaret Harrison in South Yarra, Victoria. possibly about 1890-92.
They had 4 children Norah ( bn about 1893 ), John E. ( bn about 1895 ) James ( bn about 1895), Michael ( bn about 1902 ). The children were probably born in Victoria.
Any help on the marriage or births would be appreciated.
Brian1 ???
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Dowling family Vic. or NSW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 March 05 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian1,

You can search the Victorian BDM index yourself online at:

http://online.justice.vic.gov.au/CA256C7100199CBE/OrigDoc/~1542E3A9C6B6BE3DCA256C72001CAE6E?OpenDocument&1=13-Index+Search~&2=10-Index+Categories~&3=~

Just click on "Historical Indexes", then "Historical Index" on the next page, then give your credit card details and click "Continue" (you'll not be charged unless results are found and viewed at a cost of AUS$0.99 per page), scroll down the next page and enter the information you want searched.  If there are no results found you are not charged and you can refine your query further until hopefully you get a result.

Images of the original register entry can be downloaded to your computer for AUS$17.50 or you can order a paper certificate of the entry online for the same price.

Good luck!

Regards, Brisgirl
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 March 05 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Brian1,

I had a quick look at the Victorian BDM index and there was one result for Henry's marriage (I checked the time period 1885-1899, didn't look at it though as I reckon you can spend the money!  ;)

I couldn't find the children's births listed there.  I did have success with the NSW index for James and Michael:

1081/1898, DOWLING  JAMES, father HENRY, mother MARGARET, district BALMAIN NORTH

29603/1902, DOWLING  MICHAEL, father HENRY, mother MARGARET, district BALMAIN SOUTH

Cheers, Brisgirl

Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 05 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brisgirl,
Thanks for the info. I too have just searched and found the marriage in Balmain South and also the two last children in NSW.
Also search Vic bmd for the first two children but had no luck as nothing showed up, aslo search NSW bmd and there is no record of any birth for them there.
Many thanks for all your help.
Regards
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline FleetwoodSmack

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 16 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian1,
I know of 1 Dowling in NSW Australia.