Author Topic: Moore of Drumachose  (Read 33443 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moore of Drumachose
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 August 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello folks,
i have a Moore in my Shannon research from the Limavady area that may come into this conversation.
Mary Moore born circa 1803 married pre 1840 to William Shannon born circa 1795 of Derrybeg.
It was Williams second marriage.

Jack Gee

CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline boofa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am William Glendye Moore's great, great grandson, through his son (my great grandfather) William John Robert Moore, my grandmother Eileen May Moore and father Patrick John Wright. I would love to hear from you as to where you extend the family tree after William Glendye? I would be happy to share further information as well.
Cheers

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 January 15 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Boofa,
the Moore families of Northern Ireland are fairly thick on the ground and as much detail that can be isolated to identify the the relative persons. My Moore researcher suggests that your William Glendye Moore could have a sister Jane and/or Mary and  a cousin William Alexander Moore. If this fits we maybe able to expand our Moore info.

cheers
Jack of Longwood, Vic
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 January 15 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack to help isolate them I have this to add. The address of Samuel Moore upon marriage was Altahullion (now Drum),  which is Bovevagh parish near Dungiven.  This is 7 or 8 miles from Limavady (Drumachose). It seems unlikely that our Moores were from Limavady as Samuel gave his address as Bovevagh and married in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church.  Jane Black gave her address as Ballyness which is Dungiven. So you would need to search the records for the Bovevagh and Dungiven areas for the origins of our Moore family.

Benjamin Moore who was in the 1841 census died about 1862. The Griffiths Revision Books show that his farm passed to David Moore in that year. However there was another Benjamin Moore who married Margaret Young on 24 Dec 1888 in Bovevagh Church of Ireland

Married 1819 Bovevagh Presbterian Church
Sameul Moore, Altahullion to Jane dau of Robert Black, Ballyness.

Baptism   1822 - James son of Sam'l & Jane Moor, Carryclare, T. Finlagan 29th Oct 1822
Baptism   1824 - Thos son of Sam'l & Jane Moore, Carryreagh, T. Finlagan 11 Nov 1824

Baptism   1824 - Wm son of Jno & Mary Moore, Ballymore[?], T. Finlagan 20th April 1824

The Jno (John Moore) above likely related to Samuel.

One Margaret Moore died in 1872 with the address of Altahullion Drum, her testament says she has a sister named Elizabeth Moore and her mother is Elizabeth Moore assumably both still alive in 1872. Not sure how they connect to Samuel but assuming Altahullion is a small farmland then likely they are somehow related. Some death certificates maybe found for them but I have not had the time to look. There were several Moore's farming in 1858 including a Samuel & Thomas Moore both at Drumachose, don't know if they relate but again death certificates might be available. If anyone can look these Moore's up for further info that would be great.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 January 15 06:13 GMT (UK) »
MOORE    SAMUEL    1858    Land & estates    Bovevagh, Londonderry (Derry), Ireland

Not sure if he is the one that married in 1819 or a son. If it is the one that married Jane Black then I wonder if he died once Irish death certificates started.

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 17 January 15 06:31 GMT (UK) »
The Samuel Moore living at Bovevagh in 1858 rented a house & garden, as mentioned earlier in this post he lived two doors down from a Rebecca Black. Was she related to Jane Black? I can't seem to find any death records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 17 January 15 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I haven't read back through all the posts on this thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of Samuel Moore late of Carryclare in the County of Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 20 February 1860 at same place were granted at Londonderry to Thomas Moore of Carryclare aforesaid Farmer the Son one of the next of kin and a Devisee. Will mentions wife Jane, daughter Sarah, 3 sons Thomas William and Daniel, 1 shilling each to eldest son John Moore son Samuel Moore and son Robert Moore, 1 shilling to married daughter Ann Jane Moore. Will not dated so perhaps the reason estate (£33.10.0) was administered rather than probated.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 January 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I think that Carryclare should read Carrowclare which is about 3 miles to the NW of Limavady and close to the railway line between Londonderry and Coleraine.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 17 January 15 11:14 GMT (UK) »
If the Samuel Moore in 1858 had a place at Bovevagh is he likely to be the same man dying in 1860 at Carrowclare three miles away? One things for sure is that our Samuel did have a son named Thomas and the one dying in 1860 has a son named Thomas. Same Samuel? Also if the reference is letters of administration I assume there are more pages somewhere? Where would we get the letters from? Proni? Whats the likelyhood of a surviving grave for Samuel Moore?