Author Topic: Moore of Drumachose  (Read 33408 times)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moore of Drumachose to Hopkins
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 24 January 15 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hopkins segwey -

Hi Cyclamen thanks for that snippet,
Do you have any expansion on your Abraham Hopkins?

Do you have any of these Hopkins in your genealogy?
Marcus"Mark" Hopkins b.1794.d.1882 Limavady.m.1824 Elizabeth Ann Shannon

Ruth [thought to be Hopkins].bc.1786.d.1862 Derrybeg Buried Old Drumachose, married Samuel Shannon

Marcus Andrew Hopkins.b.1871 Newtown.d.1971.m. Elvina Jane Moody

Elizabeth Hopkins.b.1826.d.1938 Belfast.m.1849 Abraham James Hopkins Moody

Thomas James Hopkins.bbc.1859.d.?.m.Annie Ruth McCloy.

Cheers
Jack Gee

CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Moore of Drumachose
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 05 February 15 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Some clarifications and minor corrections in respect to the following items. Apologise for not posting them earlier.

Susannah is possible the Sister in law of John Moody of Gortmore Hall/House Londonderry.

Susannah and Mary (wife of John MOODY) are sisters.  This is reported in South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail of Saturday 13 June 1874 on pages 9 & 10 (please refer http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article93303905)  Susannah died in March 1874 as the result of falling down a well at the farm at Truro.  Her husband was tried for her murder but was acquitted.  Mary gave evidence at the trial and did identify herself as Susannah's sister.

Married 30 March 1859 at the residence of John Moody at Truro.  Married by Rev A Phillips.  William Moore a farmer.  Information from Trove.
Glenys

The surname of the presiding minister is wrong.  It is Philps.  Rev. Philps' son, Richard, married Mary MOODY, the eldest dau of John MOODY and Mary CAMPBELL.  I personally know some of their descendants.
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,
ANT, IRL - WILSON, MONTGOMERY, MILLER, LIVINGSTONE

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 05 February 15 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I have read the article but am a little puzzled. One of the witnesses at the trial was a "Mary Moody, wife of Charles Moody, Truro and sister of the deceased". Is the newspaper report incorrect? Should this read "wife of John Moody"?

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 05 February 15 12:26 GMT (UK) »
As it relates more to Moodys of Magilligan I have posted some information re Mary Campbell on

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=386556.0
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline Kin-Sleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 06 February 15 06:32 GMT (UK) »
I have read the article but am a little puzzled. One of the witnesses at the trial was a "Mary Moody, wife of Charles Moody, Truro and sister of the deceased". Is the newspaper report incorrect? Should this read "wife of John Moody"?

Hi Cyclamen, the newspaper report is incorrect.  Please refer the marriage notice in The South Australian Advertiser, Friday 1 April 1859, page 2 where John MOODY is mentioned as providing the venue for the marriage (please refer http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article791056)
LDY, IRL -MOODY, DICK, HOPKINS, PAT(T)ON, MEHARG, SMITH, WILSON, COCHRAN(E), CUST, REYNOLDS,
ANT, IRL - WILSON, MONTGOMERY, MILLER, LIVINGSTONE

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 08 February 15 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Going back to the Moore family, I stumbled across the following while searching for something else. http://applications.proni.gov.uk/LL_DCAL_PRONI_ECATNI/ResultDetails.aspx

Regards

Edit- Link has "timed out". If you go to the PRONI e catalogue and enter D1550 the Moore reference is at the bottom.
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Puddleduck03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 28 August 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hello
Just googled the name Solomon Moore, who was witness at a marriage in my family tree (Doherty/Miller).  Was wondering if there would be any link to this conversation.  The only info I have regarding the Moore name is that John Miller (died 1847) married Ann(e) Moore and they had Mary Miller in 1840, Carroclare, Myroe, Limavady.  Mary Miller was my Grt Grt Grandmother.  (She married William Doherty in 1866.  Any info would be fantastic!

Puddleduck

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 28 August 15 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I don't know if there is a connection but the Londonderry Sentinel published a death notice if a Solomon Moore on 20 May 1853. " On the 13 inst. at Newtownlimavady, Solomon, last survivor of the family of Thomas Moore, woolendraper of Newtownlimavady, aged 77 years".

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline JamesHains

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 18 April 16 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great grandmother, Sarah Moore (then Watkin) also lived at Granville Essendon so it is likely that we are related.  I believe Frances is her first cousin. I have a series of photos etc of the Moores, including Frances, and can share these if you would like.

Regards

James