Author Topic: Moore of Drumachose  (Read 33444 times)

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moore of Drumachose
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 05 February 17 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know anything about this family of Thomas Moore?

I don't know if there is a connection but the Londonderry Sentinel published a death notice if a Solomon Moore on 20 May 1853. " On the 13 inst. at Newtownlimavady, Solomon, last survivor of the family of Thomas Moore, woolendraper of Newtownlimavady, aged 77 years".

Solomon would have been born about 1776. Was Thomas his father? Does anyone know of siblings of Solomon?

Regards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 05 February 17 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I would read it that Solomon Moore was the last surviving child of Thomas Moore.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 06 February 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
MarilynL I have Thomas Moore born circa 1755 but thats just a guess. He could have a brother with unknown name who had children:

1. Solomon Moore born about 1782 died 1869 at Carrowclare
2. John Moore possibly married Agnes Lockhart
3. William Moore died 16th Jan 1883
4. Tristram Moore
5. Samuel Moore b. ca 1798 married 5 Jun 1819 in Limavady to Jane Black

I think Solomon Moore born about 1782 is a cousin of Solomon Moore born 1776 - 1853. There is no further info on his father Thomas Moore.

There was a John Moore died 1790 at Carrowclare but weather hes a brother of Thomas is only a guess and weather John is the father of the above 5 is also a guess. Samuel Moore and Jane Black being my ancestors.

1766 Religious Census
Thomas Moore
Drumachose Newtonlimavady

Thomas Moore at Drumachose
Town Roe Mill

Both above men could be or may not be the same man or different Thomas's

Ezekiel Moore Pre 1858 will (does not exist) Farmer at Carrowreagh Died c1857

Ezekiel Moore alive 1766 died 1774 m Elizabeth (widow in 1774)
Alive 1766 at Drumachose

sons
Ezekiel Moore 1775 - 1853-57
Nehemieh Moore 1779 - 1867

The above info is a bit of a mess due to lack of records, there are other names to, hope that helps

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 13 February 17 04:02 GMT (UK) »
dunvr, thankyou for this. My response is delayed as I went through all the trail again as I have been working on this family for over a year. From information from the various posts on the topic and 4 Wills I have I did a rough tree. As my interest is in the Tristram Moore who was transported to Australia in 1802 as a rebel convict and was tried at Newtown Limavady I am particularly interested in the occurrence of the name Tristram so the following is a guess - no hard evidence:

A Tristram Moore had a son Thomas who was a woollen draper and another son John of the Will of 1790. Plus possibly other children.

Thomas had sons Solomon 1776-1853 the last survivor of Thomas, and Tristram c. 1765 - died Australia 1839 (my 5 x gt gfather). Plus probably other children.

John had sons Solomon 1782-1869  and Samuel 1798-1860 plus other children including a Tristram.

Then I read your response #56 and you have surmised the same except for the Tristrams.

Could Samuel the brother of Solomon have been born 1789 rather than 1798 as a bit of a gap then between the siblings? Is he definitely born 1798?

I am going to try and attach an excel tree as pdf which I have done trying to work out the family of Solomon 1782-1869 from Wills brought to my attention by Cheryl in Canada in 2015. Also trying to match information in this thread. (I can only attach max 500kb and each as pdf is more so attached as excel and word. Still didn't work as can only be pdf).

I have copies of 4 Wills for - James Moore died 11 Feb 1861, William Moore Will of 12 Jan 1874, Solomon Moore died 7 Aug 1869, and Letters of Admin for Samuel Moore died 20 Feb 1860.

They all mention various family members and seem to be connected but unfortunately the information is not sufficiently clear to be 100% certain as same names went through the generations.

I have some more I will put in a second reply.

Regards, Marilyn 

Offline MarilynL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 13 February 17 04:19 GMT (UK) »
REPLY #2 - further information which may be of use.

*The 1800s Moores in the tree (which I can't attach) were largely in Carrowreagh and Carrowclare close to Myroe, Crindle and Broighter. These are in the parish of Tamlaght Finlagan and about 10 mins drive NW of Limavady which I believe is in the adjoining parish of Drumachose. Bovevagh is south of Limavady towards Dungiven.

* On the webstie www.failteromhat.com is Pigot & Co's Provincial Directory of Ireland - Ulster 1824. In Limavady under Merchants and Tradesmen are some MOOREs - Apothecaries: Wm (and surgeon) Main St. Surveyors: Thos, Main St. Taverns and Public Houses: John, Market House St. Shopkeepers, Tradesmen etc: Nehemiah, grocer, Main St. (Interestingly the Tristram Moore transported to Australia worked as an apothecary at Sydney Hospital till about 1810 and was later referred to as doctor).

* Names of Householders listed in the 1831 Census Returns for the Co of Londonderry (PRONI: MIC/5A/5-9B) - also on Bill McAfee's excellent web site.
Tamlaght Finlagan Moores:
Carrowclare included John, Robt, Solomon, 2 Wms, and others.
Carryreagh incl - Andy, Mary, Robt, Saml x 2, Thos, Wm, Wm Sen, and others.

* Find My Past - W P W Philimores and Gertrude Thrift Indexes to Irish Wills 1536-1858 incl some Moores:
 - John, Carrowclare, p. TF 1816
- Mark, Carryreagh, p. TF 1829
- Thomas, Drumraghlin, p. TF 1797
- William, Kerrereagh, p. TF 1762.

Regards, Marilyn

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MarilynL I just sent you a PM with my email address as I think we share common ancestry so should discuss through email. Please send me the family tree you have and any documents I would particularily be interested to see Letters of Admin for Samuel Moore died 20 Feb 1860 as he is mine. Somewhere I had a dna match with someone who had the brothers I mentioned

1. Solomon Moore born about 1782 died 1869 at Carrowclare
2. John Moore possibly married Agnes Lockhart
3. William Moore died 16th Jan 1883
4. Tristram Moore

To be clear Samuel's birthdate is circa so could easily be earlier than 1798. There could also be a string of other children we don't know about. Sadly I never was able to identify the father of the brothers but lets share what we have on email and see if any more info comes to light.
Regards
:)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 16 February 17 03:42 GMT (UK) »

To be clear Samuel's birthdate is circa so could easily be earlier than 1798. There could also be a string of other children we don't know about. Sadly I never was able to identify the father of the brothers but lets share what we have on email and see if any more info comes to light.
Regards
:)

I have a connection with a Jean Black who married an ancestor Joseph Ramage in St Columbs L'derry back in 1726. Joseph Ramage farmed in Shanreagh T/L Tamlaght Finlagan as did his descendants until moving to NZ in 1884/86. 

Not sure if you have followed the Blacks back. I have not. If you have  followed them would this Jean Black be related to your Jane Black? 

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 16 February 17 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi shanreagh all I know about Jane Black was she was daugther of Robert Black of Ballyness. I would be interested to know more about him and his siblings and if his line could go further back, but have not followed that line. So any info on Robert Black of Ballyness his family and ancestors would be welcomed. I don't think your Jean Black is related to my Jane Black because she is married in 1819 and yours is much earlier from 1726.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 16 February 17 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Just thought you might have gone back a little as we have not come forward very much from Joseph.  It was just that they were from the Tamlaght Finlagan area with your folk more than anything.  Joseph is either my gt gt grandfather's gt gt grandfather or the same number of gts uncle & Jean the same.   

PS see now that Ballyness is near Bushmills.