Author Topic: Moore of Drumachose  (Read 33309 times)

Offline tholderness

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moore of Drumachose
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 August 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to resolve the ancestry of my grandmother, Frances St Barbe Moore.  She was known as Peggy. I believe she may fall under your family tree.

I have very little knowledge about her.

She was born in Ireland (not very helpful: I don't even know whether North or South!), and must have emigrated with her parents to Australia.  All I have established is that, during the first world war, she became a nurse and in August 1917, she embarked on a warship with other nurses, and presumably went to Egypt where my grandfather met her in December.

According to the embarkation records, her mother was Mrs F Moore, "Granville", McArron Parade, Essendon, Victoria.  As no mention is made of a father, I presume he was already dead, which seems to rule out Robert, also from Essendon.  But could she be the daughter of  Samuel?  Darraweit Guim appears to be less than 40 miles from Essendon.

Another possible clue is that Robert's wife was Margaret and my grandmother's nickname was Peggy, which I believe is an abbreviation of Margaret.

Offline jillwelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 August 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there - my great grandfather William Henry Moore is buried in Christchurch Drumachose Limavaday - bizarrely enough was my brick wall until I googled his name one day and came across this site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/yourplaceandmine/londonderry/A834257.shtml

Photos of his grave stone on the final page of the article.
My grandmother was his daughter Annie Moore.

Jill

Offline Jevelyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hullo,

I wonder if this enquiry will throw up any lucky information regarding Samuel Moore and his wife Jane (ne้ Black) of Limavardy. Sumuel was born in 1789 and died 1858. He apparently had 10 sons and at least one daughter, some of whom emigrated to Australia. One of the sons was my great grandfather, William Glendye Moore. The attached memorial card is of David Moore (or Davit, as he seems to have been called), William Glendye's younger brother. (William died in 1882, leaving his wife, Charlotte - my great grandmother - with 5 children.) SORRY - THE IMAGE COULDN'T BE ATTACHED.

I've been searching for information about the Moore family for a while now and would love to know if there are any descendants still living in Limavady or round-about.

When Samuel Moore died in 1858, he left some land. There is is record - 'Griffith Land Valuation Limavady relating to Irish Green, Newtown, Limavady, Drumachose, Derry.

This is just a stab in the dark - but perhaps the recipient of this message might know something and be kind enough to let me know.

Offline Jevelyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 18:56 BST (UK) »
See the message I sent earlier. I am William Glendye Moore's great-grand-daughter. William went to Australia in the 1860s - as did several of his brothers (and, I believe, a sister, Anne). I've just started doing some research about the Moores and it's exciting to see that others are also doing so. I've only just discovered this website. It hope we'll be able to exchange information and build up a pictures of the family. I am part of the Australian connection, though I'm now living in London. Do get in touch! Best wishes.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have a record of the marriage of Samuel Moore to Jane Black on 5 Jun 1819 in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church, District of Limavady. The church is about 6 miles south of the town of Limavady on the road, known as Ballyquin Road, to the town of Dungiven.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Jevelyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that.

I wonder if anybody knows anything about Jane Black's family?

I'd like to get hold of a copy the marriage certificate you refer to. Perhaps you could give me details as to where I should apply.

Best, Jan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
The details on the marriage is from the church record- civil registration didn't start until 1845.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 April 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Jan,
     Looking at some of the other postings there is mention of Irishgreen Street in Limavady(as it is now called) and also mention of Ardinarive. Ardinarive is a townland (a small administrative area) inthe parish of Bovevagh. The Griffiths Valuation of 1858 (part of an assessment of all property in Ireland) shows a Samuel Moore and a Rebecca Black as tenants in this townland.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 April 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi from Canberra.

I have just read your post. 

If you are interested in Frances Moore who is the daughter of Mrs. F. Moore who is mentioned in an earlier post then there is a lot about her in the Australian National Archives.

You should be able to do a search as a guest but if you can't access it as a guest let me know and I will see what I can do.

Good luck.

Glenys
Princess 41.