Author Topic: Cheshire Cookes and geography  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheshire Cookes and geography
« on: Thursday 10 September 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
I am getting in such a muddle with the parishes of Cheshire! and some of the Cooke family!

George Cooke born 1859/1861

1891 RG12  2850  59  13
Born Odd Rode Cheshire (with Wife Mary) age 32

1881 RG11  3542  133  40
Born Hall Green Cheshire (Lodger) Age 22

1871 RG10  3708  106  43
Born Coppenhall Cheshire (parents John and Jane) Age 10

1861 RG09  2615  71  16
Born Church Coppenhall Cheshire (parents John and Ann)  Age 0

There are several deaths for an Ann Cooke the most likely is Dec 1861 as there is a birth for a George Cooke Mar 1861.  And a marriage for George Cooke to Ann Jane Shaw Jun 1864.  

For the 1871 census maybe she used Jane as her Christian name because of the previous wife?  But then I notice that Jane has a 2 year old son.

Have I followed the right one?  Can anyone help me with this family and Cheshire geography, please?  
Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Cookes and geography
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
Have just checked Ancestry against FindMyPast and they have the child as John Shamoon aged 9.  The age would make better sense (on Anc.) but the name Thompkinson,(on FindMyPast) seems better.
Abiam

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
I don't think you can be sure that the George COOKE with his parents in 1861/71 is the same person as George R COOKE, husband of Mary E.  There are at least 2 births for a George COOKE born c1860 in Nantwich registration district (which covers Coppenhall), and none in Congleton (which covers Odd Rode).  A George COOKE b. Coppenhall also shows up on the later censuses, as well as one living in Coppenhall who gives his birthplace as Crewe.  

Just to help matters, there is no birth for a George R COOKE anywhere in Cheshire at the correct time!

There are extracted christening records on IGI for George and Mary's children, which confirm their full names as George Richard and Mary Eliza, so I presume this is their marriage:

Marriages Sep 1880
COOKE  George Richard   
HODGKINSON   Mary Eliza        
Wolstanton 6b 132

The marriage cert would give you George's father's name (unless he was illegitimate), and help trace him back with more certainty.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:06 BST (UK) »
Marriages Mar 1870
COOKE   John
TOMKINSON   Jane        
Nantwich 8a 370

Marriage at Coppenhall (Crewe), St Michael according to Cheshire BMD.

John TOMKINSON is listed as stepson, aged 12 on the 1881 census.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rambler,

I have the marriage to Mary Eliza Hodgkinson and as you say I cannot be sure which is the correct George.  On the 1891 his birth place is Odd Rode so I think this is the one to follow with a marriage cert.  At least I now know the difference between Congleton and Nantwich!

But where is 10 year old George in 1871 with Parents John and Ann?
Your help is much appreciated,
Abiam

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 September 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
I presume John's first wife Ann died, and he then married Jane TOMKINSON, as the other details match - as you say, there is a possible death for an Ann COOKE in 1861, and then a gap in the children's ages until the remarriage and birth of daughter Elizabeth.

The oldest son Thomas from 1861 is a servant in 1871, while William and George are with their father and stepmother.

This might turn out to be the correct family - you never know! - but the marriage cert is the best way to confirm it.

Rambler

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 September 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rambler!

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 08:35 GMT (UK) »
I now have the marriage cert for George Richard Cooke and Mary Eliza Hodgkinson. George has the middle name Richard, is 21 and employed as a pointsman and Mary Eliza is 20.  They married in 1880 in the parish of Kidsgrove, Staffordshire and George's father is another George and is deceased.  the witnesses are Thomas Hodgkinson and Hannah Cotton.

And there the trail seems to end.  But now I wonder if George junior may have been born at Odd Rode, Cheshire but registered in Wolstanton, Staffordshire as according to google they are only 2 and a 1/2 miles apart.  And there is a George Cooke reg. Dec 1/4 1859 in Wolstanton Staffs.

Now going to hunt him in the '61 and '71 census in Kidsgrove, Wolstanton!
Any thoughts appreciated,
Abiam