Author Topic: REES, Census Look-up Please.  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
REES, Census Look-up Please.
« on: Thursday 10 September 09 19:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder if some kind soul would do a Census Look-up for me please?

I am looking for my Great Aunt, Elizabeth Rees, born Morriston, Glamorganshire, Wales in 1872.

In 1907 her sister Sarah Ann Phillips, with sons David (born 1890) and William George Phillips, (born 1892) gave Elizabeth's (Lizzie) address when she entered New York on the 5th May 1907. At that time, Elizabeth Rees was living at 66 South Fullerton Ave, New Jersey.

Sarah Ann Phillips and her sons apparantly moved on to Wisconsin, but can anyone see Elizabeth Rees on the 1910 & later American Censuses? (I think that she might have married in New York, but I don't have any definate names, apart from anecdotal evidence that it was a 'Dutch sounding name') :)

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ann A.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: REES, Census Look-up Please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
Go onto the www.ancestry.com website, and you will see that she is on a family tree that someone has built - along with a picture.

She married William Griffith Jones - also born in Wales 1865.  They had William born 1889, Jeanette born 1892, Ann born 1892, George born 1894 and Elils born 1907.  They lived in Lucerne PA.  She died in 1936 and her husband in 1942.

Offline merjones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
I really don't think the Ancestry record is the correct Elizabeth Rees....different birth location and year of birth.  Also, that E Rees had her first child in 1889 in Pennsylvania which would not coincide with 1907 living in New Jersy.

Davey ... Fowler ... Jones ... Morrow ...

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 22:14 BST (UK) »

Hi Ann A & merjones,

And Many Thanks for looking for my Great Aunt for me.

merjones, I think you are right...I have found a possible entry to New York for Elizabeth (Lizzie) Rees on the Ellis Island Site; which shows her entering New York on the 14th June 1903. She would have been 21yrs then, & presumably wouldn't have needed the permission of her parents, Evan & Margaret Rees.

I can't read the original entry on the ship's manifest relating to profession, but I would imagine that she entered as a domestic servant initially.

I would love to find a Marriage for her, or some later Census entries. Does anyone know of a site which would cover New Jersey Marriage Entries?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 02:25 BST (UK) »
There's nothing comprehensive online for New Jersey marriages for that time frame.  If it might have been New York City, you could check www.italiangen.org.

Judging from what I could tell from Google, there is a South Fullerton Ave. in the town of Montclair, New Jersey.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 10:49 BST (UK) »

Thanks for looking shellyesq,

I've tried the New York City site...but drawn a blank:-(

I don't know if theres anything on Ancestry, - I've only got access to the UK Collection.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
I think you can view what databases are available on Ancestry.com without having a subscription.  Just go to the Search page and click on whatever state you're looking in.  I don't see anything from Essex County, NJ there.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »

I'm just re-visiting this research because I have been sent some photos of a book, (found in a secondhand store in the San Francisco Bay area) which seems to have belonged to my Grandmother Margaret, (Maggie) Rees.

This leads me to think that her sister, Elizabeth, (Lizzie) Rees, Born Morriston, Swansea, Wales in 1872, must have moved to the San Francisco area from New Jersey at some stage.

She seems to have entered the USA in 1903, and gone to New Jersey. I was unable to find a Marriage for her in New York, but I'm wondering now if she Married in San Francisco?

I think that she must have died prior to 1927, because her Father's Will specifies that he leaves everything: 'To my Daughter Elizabeth, but in the event of her predeceasing me, to my daughter Selina.' Selina inherited. Unfortunately, Evan Rees's Will doesn't give any useful details... like Married names, or Adresses:-(

I don't have access to the USA Censuses, but am wondering if anyone on here can see any trace of her in California/San Francisco.

Many Thanks,
Romilly.
Researching:

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 February 16 18:23 GMT (UK) »
You must have found Elizabeth/Lizzie on a passenger list - was she going to anyone in particular in New Jersey  ???  Father was Evan Rees, who was the mother  ??? Quite a number of census and other records are available for free on  https://familysearch.org/ and it seems that Ancestry is "free" today -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=741646.0;topicseen

Haven't found anything yet.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada