Author Topic: REES, Census Look-up Please.  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: REES, Census Look-up Please.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for finding that Burial Sandra.

Bang goes my theory(!)

I still think that one of Sarah Ann Phillip's sons or Grandchildren must have lived in California... and I can now rule out two of her four sons.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 20:13 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome. Please we found him. Who were the other two sons, with dates ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 20:56 GMT (UK) »

Sarah's other sons were David and John Phillips:

First Name:   John
Last Name:   Phillips
Ethnicity:   British, Welsh
Last Place of Residence:   Morriston, Wales
Date of Arrival:   Oct 17, 1910
Age at Arrival:  15y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S 
Ship of Travel:   Arabic
Port of Departure:   Liverpool
Manifest Line Number:   0026

I'm just looking to see if I can find David Phillips arrival... He travelled with his Mother Sarah Ann Phillips and brother William George Phillips in 1907. John and Evan Rees Phillips followed together in 1910.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, John Phillips appears on a WW1 draft - born 25 December 1894 (very brave woman - that would mean she had 2 children in 1894)  What a Christmas pressie  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Nationalization for John Phillips - 25 December 1894 - 409 Walker Street Milwaukee - Soldier - dated 19 June 1918.

Sandra

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, John Phillips appears on a WW1 draft - born 25 December 1894 (very brave woman - that would mean she had 2 children in 1894)  What a Christmas pressie  ;)
Sandra

Gosh, - that does sound epic!

If I remember correctly, David Phillips was Born in Morriston, Wales in 1890.

Sarah Ann Phillips' husband, James Phillips Died in 1906 aged 42yrs. I think it was very brave of Sarah Ann to make a new start in the USA in 1907, although she did take two of her sons with her, and the other two followed three years later. (I expect it took three years to save up for their fares).

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 19 February 16 10:53 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned San Francisco.  I lived in San Francisco for a number of years.  I'm not sure if you are referencing photos from San Francisco, photos of Rees individuals, or just the fact that someone named Margaret Rees signed a book from San Francisco?   :-\

If you can give more details (without mentioning private information) about the book(s), I would be happy to try to help, if I can?  Do you have a date range for the books?  1920s?  1910s?

Lisa, - I have put photos of one of the books on this Thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740967.0

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 December 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Romilly,

Remind me which of your ancestors you were looking for who was a decorator and there had been a fire?? I came across a report in the newspaper in the library today which reminded me - might be nothing of interest but it caught my eye.

B.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 December 16 16:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi Bev,

It was my elusive Grandfather William James Wilson (1860 - 1937) who ran a Painting and Decorating Company called 'Wilson and Co' in Swansea from 1895 - 1930/'31. The Company apparently went bust after a fire that they weren't insured for.

I've never been able to find anything about it.

Romilly.

Researching: