Author Topic: Downing  (Read 4845 times)

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Downing
« on: Saturday 12 September 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
According to an obituary in Australia, Stafford DOWNING was b. abt. 1840 Londonderry.

I'm trying to confirm his dob and parents names - supposedly Alexander DOWNING and Mary FARMER.

Also, did he have any siblings?

When did he come to Australia?
I know he was associated with mining around the Woods Point, Victoria area during the gold boom days.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Jackie
QLD, Australia
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
FRIEZER / FRIESER in England, Indonesia and Netherlands
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset
JAMIESON / RENNIE or RANIE / EDMONDSON / CAMERON in Scotland
DOWNING / McKEOWN / MILLS / HANES and WYLIE in Ireland
McKEOWN in NY and Boston / RAPSEY in New Zealand
and many many more.  These are just the main ones

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Downing
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

I see your post is old but I may have something for you.
I ran across a Catholic priest by the name of Stafford Poole, who is descended from Stafford Downing of County Londonderry, Ireland.  His branch still has living members in the townland of Dreenan, near Maghera, and he told me several from that line emigrated to Australia and New Zealand.

He sent me a short and rather "primitive" story of his Downing ancestry, which has a few flaws, but it might be of some help for you.
Just reply if you have any interest.

Thank you,
Rick T

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rick,

That sounds fantastic.  Would love to hear what you have.

Jackie
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 July 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie, If your Downing played in the Goldfields of Woods Point a good reference of the life and times of Gold in Upper Goulburn read one of Brian Lloyds books. He wrote several and I am sure that they would in libraries. I have several and he may still be alive and living in Brighton, Melbourne. eg - "Gold in the Ranges - Jamieson to Woods Point". His father and Uncle had a big involvement in the area at the time.
Enjoy your genie journey - its great fun.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 July 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
Jack,

That's my lot in Wood's Point.
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 July 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
There were 12 Downing & Dawning households in Dreenan in 1901. Half were RC and half Church of Ireland (Episcopalian).

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Dreenan/

Birth registration only started in Ireland in 1864. Prior to that you need to rely on church baptism records. The RC baptisms for Maghera parish only start in 1841 so that might be too late if Stafford was that denomination. They are on-line free on the National Library site:

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes

The Church of Ireland baptism records for Maghera parish start in 1785. I don’t know if they are on-line. You could try some of the pay to view sites like rootsireland. However there is a copy of them on microfilm in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast where they are free to view.

My guess is that Stafford was Church of Ireland. Here’s an adult Stafford Downing in the townland in 1831 who was Church of Ireland. (That family had 2 males, 2 females & 1 female servant. I’d say that’s likely a relation of the Stafford born in 1840ish).

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1831/Londonderry/Loughinsholin/Maghera/Dreenan/13/

Probate abstract:

The Will of Stafford Downing late of Dreenan County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 19 February 1878 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of James Downing of Dreenan Farmer one of the Executors. (By Decree of County Court Judge.)

He was aged 83. The will itself is on-line on the PRONI wills site. It mentions 3 daughters (Mary Anne Downing, Sarah Jane Downing & Betty Kane) plus a son George. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/proni

There was also an Alexander Downing in Dreenan in 1831, again Church of Ireland:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1831/Londonderry/Loughinsholin/Maghera/Dreenan/114/
Elwyn

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 July 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Oz newspapers
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/search?adv=y

Searched for "stafford downing". Spotted a Stafford Downing buying 500 shares in the You Know Quartz Gold Mining company as early as Aug 1868 (Alexandra Times 21 Aug)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
The Mid-UlsterMail, 10 Feb 1894 carries the report of a court case where documents produced included
"...viz; original indentures of conveyance, dated 30th day March 1734, made between William Connolly and others and Stafford Downing, map of part of Dreenan ..."

Offline dukewm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,

First, it's nice to "meet" you and I'm glad you saw my reply.

We have much to discuss and it would be much easier to do so by alternate method, preferably email, to enable sharing of files, rather than transferring them to RootsChat, which has a character restriction.
That being said, let me give you an excerpt from Stafford Poole's narrative . . .
"Descendants of Stafford Downing migrated not just to the United States but also to Australia and New Zealand.  A Stafford Downing, the son of Alexander and Mary Downing, was born in Co. Derry about 1835/40.  In 1859 he migrated to Melbourne, Australia, and became a gold miner in Victoria.  In 1868 he married Sarah Jane McKeown in Victoria and died in 1893."
His source was one of Stafford Downings' descendants, Jodi Fuller, who (at the time) was living in Bendigo, Australia
Stafford Poole sent me his narrative in March 2012, and he was (I believe) 90 years old then.  I tried to get back in touch with him a few months ago, and received no reply, so I have to worry about his mortality.

Unfortunately, his narrative only includes what he believed to be his direct ancestry, and,
as you may have gathered, there were several 'Stafford' Downings. 
The first known 'Stafford', was apparently the same 'Stafford' mentioned in the reply by Hanes Teulu in Reply # 7 above, who acquired a lease from William Conolly, dated 30 Mar 1734, which was located in the Townland of Dreenan.  He was likely a young man at the time, and listed as "life dead" on 6 Oct 1782.
Poole further asserts that he had a son named 'Stafford', who renewed the lease originally signed by his father in 1789 and sold some land to a 'John Downing', dated 27 Apr 1821.  Stafford Downing (Jr.) married Rose Mulholland and had by her, four daughters; Mary, b. May 1785, Esther, b. 4 Apr 1789, Elizabeth, and Elinor.  Elizabeth was Stafford Poole's great great grandmother.
Interestingly, Stafford Downing's daughters were baptized at Old St. Lurach's Church of Ireland by Alexander Clotworthy Downing, who was Rector there until 1793.  Alexander Clotworthy Downing was the eldest son of John Downing and grandson of Col. Adam Downing, the Downing branch I, and several other Downing descendants, have been trying to "prove" for 20 years.
Adam Downing, in his Will dated 4 Jan 1716, stated he was "of Rocktown", County Derry and his uncle, Nicholas Downinge, by his Will dated 18 Feb 1698, was "of Drummard".  Those two adjacent Townlands are located on the south side of the present day A42 highway, near Gulladuff.  Dreenan Road is just north of Gulladuff.  So, you can see that two distinct branches of Downings were living in close proximity in the early 18th century.  I tried to find a common ancestor but early Irish records are difficult to research, although I'm sure they are connected.

Anyway, I hope you found something of interest here, and I'm certain we are "barking up the same tree".
I don't know whether you use Facebook or not, but if you do, I'd like you to visit ;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/449344511902647/
It's a "closed group" so I'm not sure you can view it without an invitation, which I can provide if you are interested.  It was started by Tim Mansfield of Australia, a Downing descendant.
It's basically a forum among members and we could hash things out right there.

Just let me know how you wish to proceed.
Cheers,
Rick T