Author Topic: Grandmother Whannel  (Read 4452 times)

Offline dotty779

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandmother Whannel
« on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find out about my Grahdmother who died in the mid 70s when I was young her name is Alice Wallace Clucky Whannel, I dont know her maiden name or even where she is buried as I stay elsewhere. She lived in Stranraer ond also Cairnryan. Any information would be appreciated. thank you

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother Whannel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 14:32 BST (UK) »
hi dotty  :)

i have found on scotlandspeople website -
alice wallace(forenames) whannel(surname) died 1983 stranraer wigtown
born c1916 - maiden name cluckie ?
you won't be able to view this certificate as there is a 50 year cut-off  :(

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dotty

You can use the free search options on Scotland's People to find out more without spending any money.
Doing this I found that she married James Whannel in 1934, Leswalt Parish Wigtownshire.

So you just have to be patient a few more months and the images for 1934 marriages will be available online. From that certificate you should get parents names for both bride and groom, including mother's maiden name. This should let you get started properly with tracing more of your family.

If you don't want to wait you could always post a lookup, maybe some kind soul would copy down the names for you if they are at the records office.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
 ???

aah , i see scotlandspeople have now indexed marriages 1934 to 2006  :)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline gem9

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dotty,
My surname is Whannel and most of my immediate family live in the wigtownshire area.  My dad's middle name is James as he was named after his grandfather. I can't remember anyone mentioning your grandmother's name but maybe there is a connection as whannel is a very unusual name!
Let me know if you get any further.

Offline dotty779

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 09 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, gem9 sorry for the delay. You are right ours is indeed an unusual name and if your immediate family is from the Wigtown area there must be a chance that we may be related. I am having trouble finding out much about my family tree as due to painfull childhood memories I don't talk to my parents. You say your Fathers middle name is James, well my Fathers Christian name is James and his middle names are Joseph clucky. ::) And I think he bought himself a title (esquire)  ;D If you have any additional info on my or indeed your family, I would be keen to hear from you.

Offline whannel78

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 August 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there, my surname is Whannel as is my fathers, and his brothers, sister and father.  Our family are from Stranraer with some family still living there.