Author Topic: DEERNESS,KATHERINE S. c1864 Birdsay Orkney  (Read 3477 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DEERNESS,KATHERINE S. c1864 Birdsay Orkney
« on: Sunday 13 September 09 05:08 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the family of ..Katherine S. Deerness ..who was born c 1864 in Birdsay,Orkney,and in and about c 1900 ,give or take a few years on either side,she was working down in Berwickshire,Scotland.
Drop a line if you are.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: DEERNESS,KATHERINE S. c1864 Birdsay Orkney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 07:01 BST (UK) »
1871 census for birsay: at Buan are Margaret daughter 37 born birsay ag lab, alexander grandson 12 scholar born birsay, margaret grdaughter 9 b birsay and catherine grdaughter 7 b birsay
on 1881 census: margaret 48 widow ag lab and thomas grson 24 gen labourer

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 07:14 BST (UK) »
also on 1871 at buan are: robert harvey 68, margaret harvey 78, catherine harvey 43 and margret harvey 57
in 1881 catherine was a servant working at folster, birsay aged 17 which appears to owned/ lived in by more harveys, looks like she was living with relatives!
in 1891 she is a gen dom servant working in govan at 28 belmont st
looks like her grandparents on her mothers side were harveys
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
On scotlands people: died 14 may 1898 margaret deerness nee harvey 67 breck, birsay widow of thomas deerness father robert harvey mother margaret hunter both deceased thomas deerness so present.

akc

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 09 15:07 BST (UK) »
Great research AKC...
I am wondering if she is in your research or you were kind enough just to do the lookups?
I am hoping to find a relative as I have a picture of her,with my grandmother and another gal when they were domestic helpers in Berwick Scotland...was wanting to share this wonderful picture.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 09 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, sorry she is not one of my relatives, I am a member of orkney family history society and there is a lot of info on their site and on Ancestry.com. I was in Birsay a couple of weeks ago at the St Magnus church next to the palace and had walk around the cemetery and took a photo of the church window, needless to say there are loads of Harveys, I dont think the Birsay cemetery has been transcribed yet, could be a tricky one, there are a lot of headstones. Orkney Family History Sociey may be able to help you find a relative