Author Topic: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.  (Read 103525 times)

Offline David Corri

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Micheal Collins and 'The Squad'.
« Reply #216 on: Thursday 02 July 15 21:19 BST (UK) »

Hi bry4n0

It's David Corri nephew of Captain William Corri,  and son of Haydn Corri, B Coy 3rd Batt & 3 Coy 5th Battallion (Engineers). My nephew, Eamon's son and Bill's grandnephew, is also David Corri but I did'nt realize that there was another David here.

It's interesting to think that Bill has a granddaughter in Scotland, as the first Irish Corri, also Haydn, was born in Edinburgh and was brother to Sophia Corri, the Scottish classical composer. Both were children of Domenico Corri a publisher of music in Edinburgh and London.

Hi there,

That very picture hangs in my mother's hallway in Glasgow, sunny Scotland, as Captain William Corri was her grandfather. I believe that would mean that David Corri would be a not so distant relative to myself. We keep in regular contact with family in Ireland, one being a David Corri, Grandson to Captain William Corri also.

I believe my mother has been given more information about 'the squad' through certain books that have been written recently.

Offline xkm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Sunday 21 February 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »
My great is discussed in the booklet about Irish Military History.  It is signed by Patrick Colgan, Major.  It is dated 1953.  It is reported that my great uncle Owen Slowey assumed  the identity of a Mr. Corri, who was wanted by the authorities, probably to be executed. Have you seen the book? I have a copy.  The name is spelled "Aiden" but I think it may be a typo and it should be Haydn?  I would like to connect with any person related to that Mr. Corri. Xavier K. McDonnell, San Diego, CA 

Offline xkm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Thursday 10 March 16 06:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

My great Uncle Owen Slowey from Drogheda was at Ballykinlar with Haydn Corri.   I think he is referred to as "Aiden Corri" in the military history written and signed by Patrick Colgan  in 1953 and in the book "Prisoners of War-Ballykinlar Interment Camp 1920-1921"  written by Liam O Duibhir.  According to that book and the Military History booklet I found online, after Patrick Colgan handed over Mr. Whelan and he was hung in Feb 1921, when the authorities came for your relative, Aiden Corri he was ready with an imposter who would assume Aiden's identity.  The person who agreed to assume the name Aiden Corri was my great Uncle Owen Slowey. My great uncle was sent to Mountjoy, where he was "half-hung", beaten and suffered from some form of water torture.  After that, a RIC recognized him as Owen Slowey from Drogheda, and they sent him back to Ballykinlar.  A year later, after he was released, his 22 year old sister Alice Slowey  was shot and killed in Drogheda.  The officers shot through the door of her fiancé's family wire factory as she was coming to open the door and she was killed.  Their pub was right across the street and she was waked there.   Their oldest sister was my grandmother, Rose Slowey, who married Ned McDonnell from Slane and they moved to the Bronx in 1928.  Owen Slowey from the camp came to NY in 1929 and had a hard time with the depression.  He lost contact with my grandmother, the last we heard he was working for the railroad in New Haven in 1940.  Well, we just found out he died of TB in 1952 in Rochester.  WE never knew all this until the last few months.  I saw that your relative Haydn also assumed the identity of Owen Slowey.  So interesting.  My father, Rose's son (86) in Cape Cod Mass and his brother Owen (76) in Ct, would love to learn more about Hayden Corri and communicate with you, if possible.   Would love to hear from you! Xavier McDonnell, San Diego CA   

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 11:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and thanks for putting that up (takes some people a lifetime to master posting attachments)

Just to point this out, and it is confusing, there is both a Edward J Byrne and a Edmund Leo Byrne involved with The Squad. For Edmund Leo Byrne see an earlier post here by Alan8hughes .

I say this out of no deep knowledge of the Byrnes, but because I am (still) trying to see who was where on Bloody Sunday, 21 Nov 1920. I know of course what Vinnie Byrne was doing, but can anyone fill in if the movements of Edmund and Edward are known that day, and were they both known to have been in the Squad

Thought I had come across the name recently. See this thread about the shooting of Ryan in a Dublin pub http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,487706.15.html

This link is to the details of the shooting that I have and one of the men was "Eddie Byrne", but which Eddie
did thomas and michael duffy have a brother called william

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Friday 08 December 17 21:45 GMT (UK) »
It may have been mentioned already, but I have a clear recollection of Vinny Byrne being interviewed for some R.T.E. programme about his time in the Squad and in paticular about Bloody Sunday.

You are correct. A copy of the short interview is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQHfqL5aqg
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Sunday 24 June 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi David, have you any idea when that picture of Kilmainham was taken ? My Grand father was a warden there during the Civil war he was around 23 at the time, Third in from the left standing looks like him. I am just wondering  if dates match from when the picture was taken to when my Grand Father was stationed there.I have a copy of this picture but the detail is nowhere as good as your scan.  Gary 
William Corri was Governor of Kilmainham Gaol from May 1923 to November 1923 . so the photo must be 1923
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Obituary from "An tÓGlách" Army Journal Autumn issue 1966

As  we  go  to  press  we  deeply  regret  to  announce  the
death  of  Comdt.  Bill  Corri,  who  died  27  September  1966,
while  visiting  his  daughter  in  Manchester.  Bill  was,  of
course,  a  member  of  the  Active  Service  Unit,  and  Captain
of  ‘E’  Coy.,  1st  Bait.,  Old  Dublin  Brigade.  He  was  a  Vice-
President  of the  A.O.D.B.  He  was  interred  in  Manchester.
May  he  rest  in  peace !

What does A.O.D.B. stand for?
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »

Hello chinapaddy

I know sometimes the A.O. stood for Ancient Order but the D.B. has me beat, it could be a religious order

I am sure someone on the forum will know

Good luck

CSM

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Thursday 04 July 19 16:26 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that this is an old post, but for anyone looking in who has Neligan connections, my daughter is directly related. I'm hoping to find family for her with dna proof, she has tested on Ancestry and My Heritage.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).