Author Topic: The Origins of the Tuff's in Kent  (Read 3796 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
The Origins of the Tuff's in Kent
« on: Sunday 13 September 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm having a problem with tracing my Tuff ancestors in Kent. I have gone back as far as Henry Tuff who married Ann Rayner at Challock in 1694. From what I've looked at, it seems that the majority of Tuff's in Kent, especially those in East Kent, trace back to Henry, but I cannot trace his past.

I have had a good look for a baptism record for Henry, including all the variants of his surname (i.e Tuft, Tough etc ...), but have found nothing. Even after looking in the IGI, my Henry is the eldest recorded in the British Isles. His marriage entry at Challock also reveals nothing about his past

I understand that the surname Tuff is Scottish in origin, but I not convinced that Henry would have come straight from Scotland, considering that there were other Tuff family's living in Leicestershire, London and Sussex between the 1400-1600's

Where do I go from here?

Regards

Lee

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Origins of the Tuff's in Kent
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Looking at the IGI there are no entries earlier than your Henry's marriage.  :-\

I can't see any earlier entries for the name TUFF(E) in the archives of The Centre for Kentish Studies.

Nothing among East Kent Wills 1660 - 1858

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/ekp_p2/ekp_p2n_tu.htm

nor East Kent Wills 1396 - 1695

http://www.kentarchaeology.ac/ekwills_a/series/ekp_p1/ekp_p1n_too.html

Nor can I find any in the D'Elboux Manuscripts

http://web.archive.org/web/20070629182134/barry-white.members.beeb.net/kent/pk_delbo3.pdf

Perhaps he wasn't from Kent.  ???

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

That is what I'm thinking. The problem is, were can I go from here? If Henry Tuff was not native to Kent, then would there not be some kind of record(s) showing where he came from? I know I'm grasping at straws here!

Lee

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

That is what I'm thinking. The problem is, were can I go from here? If Henry Tuff was not native to Kent, then would there not be some kind of record(s) showing where he came from? I know I'm grasping at straws here!

Lee

Have you had any luck tracing Henry Tuff's origins?

Matt

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

No, I'm still stuck on tracing Henry's past, although I haven't been actively looking for him in the last couple of months :(

Lee

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

No, I'm still stuck on tracing Henry's past, although I haven't been actively looking for him in the last couple of months :(

Lee

Have you had any luck tracing Henry's ancestry over the past few years? If you haven't, do you have any suggestions for places I can check?

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 December 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

Just a quick message to see if you have had any luck with the Tuff family since my last post back in 2011.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline indoz

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 February 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee
Reference to Tuff family in Kent. I have some postcards dated 1904 to 1908 which are addressed to a Miss P Tuff of Court Lodge Farm Bossingham Kent