Author Topic: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall  (Read 28092 times)

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall
« on: Sunday 13 September 09 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is a bit of a long shot as this is in the realms of medieval genealogy but I have traced my Wenhams of Sussex back via the Visitation of Sussex (http://www.archive.org/stream/visitationscoun00owengoog#page/n105/mode/1up)
which has Richard Wenham at the start of the family tree.  He is simply stated as being of Wenham Hall.  His 2 children were Thomas Wenham of More Hall, Ninfield, described as the son and heir of Richard and the first to come into the county (Sussex).  His other child is an unnamed daughter who married a Bruse 'with whom he had Wenham Hall'.  Research has shown that the Brewse family held Wenham Hall in Suffolk so I am assuming Richard came from here.  I have tried many of the sites which refer to the Brewse family but have found no reference.

Has anyone come across the Wenham family before?

Thanks
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Wenham of Wenham Hall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph,

I will PM you the email address of the Capel St May + Little and Great Wenham Local History Recorder*, she may be able to tell you more.

Wenham Hall was anciently the seat of the Brews/Brewse family, followed by the Thurston family.  It is in Little Wenham.

In the book, 'Suffolk Houses - a study of domestic architecture' there is a section on the Hall, including an aerial view and supposition of what the hall floor plan was originally.

The book is by Eric Sandon with drawings by John Western, and I just checked a well know supplier of books on-line A***** and several are available - the book has been reprinted in recent years.  You may of course be able to obtain an inter-library copy.

Pat ...
Recorders' Secretary - Suffolk Local History Council
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
I have just read through the notes on Wenham Hall and found

..... this survey of the property was, according to P A Crisp, made by Robert Brewse, the grandson of th first Brewse who acquired the property by marriage in 1440 ............

The Crisp brothers bought the property in a very run down state in abut 1884.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 September 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. 

I have no specific dates for Richard but have his birth c 1440 which puts him alongside the earlier Brewses.  (I've had to guess at generational gaps of twenty odd years.  John Wenham was born about 1480 at More Hall/Morehayle and died 29 May 1568.  His father, Thomas, the first son and heir in Sussex I've guessed at c1460 and therefore his father Richard c1440).

I am certainly interested in contacting the Local History Recorder.

Many thanks for your help

Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline ozboi-nz

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 December 09 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph

Ive only just come across the Wenham name myself and I too it appears am a descendant of Richard Wenham.

Im trying to piece together the connection between then Wenham and the Brewse families but not having much luck at the moment. If you come across any information can you either email me, or post it here.

Cheers

Nathan.

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Steph
Many thanks for reporting the link to the Sussex Visitations. I am putting together some material to check if I get to Lewes in the next couple of months and had traced a potential line back from Elizabeth Wenham born in Hooe 1750. The dates and names SEEM to fit together but the problem with internet research is inevitably proving the links..... When I got to John Wenham and his possible wife Alice Elliott from Godalming Surrey I really began to have doubts! The Visitation sugggests that it may be accurate after all. Thanks again  :)

Offline saunders449

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 March 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Richard Wenham of Wenham Hall is my 16x grandfather.
i have know gathered 680 Wenham's on the tree. (some strange branches that I need to look into).

But I too am confused as to Richard Wenham of Wenham Hall how he should be so titled in that way because in the visitations on Sussex it states that " a daughter (Richards) married to ..... bruse with whom hee had Wenham Hall".

Looking at the history of Wenham Hall, no Wenham name comes up ???

Graham

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 March 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
I know.  This is really frustrating.  I have been trying to find out more about the Bruse/Brewse family during the mid 1400s but nothing so far. 

My alternative route when I look for family at this time is via land transactions.  I have used the National Archives Documents Online and come up with a number of Wenhams in the area.  If you do a search you will find references to Sir John De Wenham (amongst others) mid 13thc. as witness to land transactions relating to Dodnash Priory, Bradedfield (Bradfield), Bentley, Capel St. Mary - all in the Wenham Hall locality.
There are also refs to William De Wenham, Sir Ermethard De Wenham (plus Deonisia his daughter).  From the regular occurence of Wenhams as witnesses to various land transactions at this period it shows that the Wenham family did exist in the area of Wenham Hall and were definitely of some standing but trying to get that final link has been tantalisingly elusive.  I am wondering whether there is some link between the names Wenham and Wyndham as there are also Wyndhams in the area.

One big puzzle.

Steph
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 March 10 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Further to my earlier reply, you may be able to make something of the following:

A digitised version of The Manors of Suffolk http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924092579592#page/n119/mode/2up

Suffolk Feet of Fines
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924029784992#page/n0/mode/2up

Hope the links work.

It may even be that the name Wenham was adopted or used as an alternative to one of the other 'names' in the area, eg the Holebrok, Villibus etc

Steph
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks