Author Topic: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall  (Read 28091 times)

Offline wenhamt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 November 14 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Recently started researching our US family tree. Started by coming across a picture of Wenham Hall.
Most of the more recent Wenham's in Cleveland, Ohio are named Frederick. This traced back to a Arthur Jonathan Wenham Born in Sussex, England on  September 8, 1884. This is where I have hit a roadblock. Even with the birthdate I haven't been able to trace Arthur's parents in Sussex. I have posted a Wenham tree on ancestry.com for our part of the family. I suspect we are related to many of the discussions here.

Offline mumsabout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 November 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
hi I have no Arthur jonathan wenham in my tree born on this date.are you sure you have right name or right date as I have often gone wrong and had to retrace my steps.I only have George Ernest Wenham Born April 1884 in Etchingham Sussex. Also my ancestor was born in Wenham hall  so If you could tell me the name you are under in ancestry i will look at yours.Or better still send me a message on there
regards shirley

Offline wenhamt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 November 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Here is the information from a census that I used and elsewhere on Ancestry I got the actual birthdate:Name:    A. J. Wenham
Birth Year:    abt 1825
Birthplace:    England
Home in 1880:    Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Race:    White
Relation to Head of House:    Self (Head)
Marital Status:    Married
Spouse's Name:    Melvina Wenham
Father's Birthplace:    England
Mother's Birthplace:    England
Neighbors:    View others on page
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and Dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane:

Household Members:    
Name    Age
A. J. Wenham    55
Melvina Wenham    41
George Wenham    17
Grace Wenham    8
John Wenham    4
Emma Wenham    38
Here are some other ancestry records:
Name:    Arthur Wenham
Birth:    abt 1825 - England
Residence:    1870 - Cleveland Ward 10, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Residence:    Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio

U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current Birth, Marriage & Death    
Name:    A J Wenham
Death:    28 Sep 1885

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 Birth, Marriage & Death    
Name:    Arthur Jonathan Wenham
Baptism:    8 Aug 1824 - Broadwater, Sussex, England

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906 Birth, Marriage & Death    
Name:    Arthur Jonathan Wenham
Father:    James Wenham
Baptism:    8 Aug 1824 - Broadwater by Worthing, Sussex, England
Other:    1824
Not knowing England very well The problem probably lies with me.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 November 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome wenhamt, the census details and information that you have is from the county of Sussex which is on the south coast of England, Little and Great Wenham are in the county of Suffolk which is in East Anglia an area of southish-east England.

You may find more help with your quest on the Sussex pages of this website.

By the way, for our counties think your states, then our counties are divided by parishes. ;)

However, knowing Rootschatters you may well have some help here too.

SM
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline wenhamt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 November 14 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. That does help me understand the two locations better. I knew they were separate but suspect the Wenhams from both areas are related.
Thanks, again. Tim

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 15:37 GMT (UK) »
it's 5 years since I first looked at this and I am not sure of anyone is still interested but what if......
The 1612 Visitation of Suffolk records that ‘Sir Thomas Brewse m Elizabeth da... of Debnam’. I was originally irritated at the omission of her father's name but googling 'Debnam' produced an interesting possibility/explanation. There were something like 5 Gilbert Debenhams who owned Wenham Hall before the arrival of the Brewse family. Elizabeth's father & brother were both MPs but were also known for their lawless behaviour (Have a look at www.historyof parliementonline for their biographies). Her brother Gilbert was eventually convicted of treason after the uprising associated with Perkin Warbeck 1491-1495. I've seen a suggestion that she eventually paid to reclaim some of the family land....  So.... Was the Thomas who first came into Sussex in fact a DEBENHAM, but quite happy to be known as Thomas from Wenham until that name eventually was accepted as his family name? I've always been surprised that his female descendants married into families with parliamentary & even Court connections, but the men were less prominent. Were they keeping a low profile?
I'd love to know what others think!

Offline Ditchling23

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 March 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
According to Ancestry, Richard Wenham was my 16th great-grandfather, so I'm following all this with much interest. However, my first attempt at building the Ancestry tree resulted in William the Conqueror as my 45th ggf, which seems highly unlikely. I've also ended up related to  Aethelwulf, King Alfred and assorted other persons of note, all highly dubious. I'm awaiting my DNA results but, bearing in mind some of the comments I've seen on this site, am now expecting something along the lines of those allergy tests that tell you little of worth. Hoping this isn't the case.

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 March 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Ditchling23 - I know what you mean! That is one reason that I have tried very hard to identify documents to support any potential links. Doing the research in the archives is difficult enough. Trying to do it online is even worse - one reason I put my speculation online, in the hope that somebody might have stumbled across some hard facts......!

Offline Worldwidesearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 May 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
To: Spain

That's an interesting concept and quite possible all things considered.   I have been researching the Wenhams for some time now and have never been able to throw any light on which Wenham allegedly married a Brewse and lived in Wenham Hall.     Back to the drawing board!   If I find anything that might support your suggestion, I'll get back to you.