Author Topic: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall  (Read 28090 times)

Offline Suffolkfolk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 08:49 BST (UK) »
I have seen 2 versions of the Visitations of Sussex.  Until recently  I had referred to the one that indicated that  John Wenham of Ninfield married Ann Needham who was the daughter of  Sir Francis Needham of Sussex.  I am now aware of the version that refers to Sir Francis Needham from Derby and this has led me to some interesting information.   Sir Francis was known to be both of Melbourne House in Derby , Derbyshire and of Barking  Hall “Barnham” and Darmsden in Suffolk as well as other districts.   Melbourne House has been the home of two prime ministers and is open to the public;  Barking Hall and Darmsden are situated  only 12/17 miles from Little Wenham in Suffolk.

Sir Francis Needham died in 1638.  There is a record  dated 1639 held in the Ipswich, Suffolk, archives  (ref: HA1/B/A/3/11) relating to a John Wenham of More Hall, Sussex, who sought to execute a judgement against Sir Francis Needham with regard to Barking and Darmsden.  As to why  I am not yet certain but possibly due to  the terms of some bequeath to his wife, nee Ann Needham, not being honoured on a timely basis.

Sir Francis Needham also had another daughter (Christian name?) who was married to Phillip Tilney of Barking Hall in Suffolk.  He was the son of Phillip Tilney of Shelley House, Shelley, Suffolk and his first wife Margaret Brewse who, in turn, was the daughter of Thomas Brewse (d. 1482) and Elizabeth Debenham of Wenham Hall, Little Wenham.  This Elizabeth Debenham was the daughter of Gilbert Debenham  and sister and heir to her brother Gilbert Debenham of Little Wenham.  Wenham Hall was sacked in 1470 and lost to the Debenhams in 1487 but  returned to their possession in I think 1502 to the then nearest relative Robert Brewse and remained in the Brewse family for the next 200 years.

The Tilneys can I believe be traced back to Little Wenham.  Charles Tilney (1561-1586) of Barking Hall Suffolk  was the son I believe of Phillip Tilney and his wife who was the daughter of Sir Francis Needham as mentioned above.  Charles Tilney was executed for plotting against Queen Elizabeth 1.

The above does not of course explain the recording back in 1530 of the reference to a daughter of Richard Wenham marrying a Brewse with whom she shared Wenham Hall  in approx. 1470.  There are many speculative theories not least the one mentioned in a previous blog in which it was stated that perhaps we who think we descended from Wenhams may in fact have descended from Debenhams.  Who knows?

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 January 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Spain & apologies for not responding more quickly to your interesting information...
Morehayle was the home of the Wenhams in Sussex from the earliest reference in the Visitations & your  information about the litigation with the Needhams provides a one possible positive link between Sussex Wenhams & the owners of Wenham Hall - links which might well have been magnified/exaggerated if the Sussex family had a sense of grievance.....
I wish that I could visit the local Suffolk archives  but it all makes the potential family history very interesting. I got into this when I visited East Sussex archives to look for a Wenham pauper. I didn't know where the poor law records were kept & was initially somewhat surprised when an archivist smiled & suggested looking at the Visitations.... So far I have not only identified a possible link with someone attainted for treason, but there is also the Wenham hung at Execution Dock Wapping for piracy....... Modern relatives are far more ordinary!
Thank you again

Offline miminusbaum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 September 20 23:18 BST (UK) »
Just saying Hi and to ensure this appears in my 'post' list so I can find it later
I have Joan Wenham married to John Hepden, Joan dying in 1591, has will, just looking to find her parents.  It's late so will return to this tomorrow
Dee
Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline mumsabout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:56 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was Edith Wenham  from her I have got to Richard Wenham c1410  Richard was married to Joan Calthorpe, with whom he had children, then it seems she married  William de browse/ Broase, and had a child, Wenham hall I believe belonged to the Wenham's at this time , but then William de Brewse married the widow Joan then Wenham hall became he's, as that is what happened in those days ,all properties of the woman went to her husband .I cant go back any further for the Wenham's, so like someone else on here i wonder if there was a name change, a Gilbert Debenham, was born and  lived Wenham hall, he was a terrible  villian and put in prison , it was he's sister Elizabeth that paid to get a release. Richard Wenham and Joan Calthorpe had a daughter Elizabeth who could have taken the Brewse name I am only guessing of course