Author Topic: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall  (Read 28093 times)

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard WENHAM of Wenham Hall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 March 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This may not be any help to anyone tracing the Wneham's but there was a Sir William Brewse of Stinton Hall Norfolk and Wenhall Suffolk who was born about 1450.  I believe he was a descendant of the de Braose family.

Jill

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 March 10 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I am having a brain gone on it's hols day.  That should have been Wenham, Suffolk.

Jill

Offline anna-suzie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hii!
I have just found out that I too am a descendant of one Richard Wenham of Little Wenham Hall, 1448.
I am not sure if there is any connection but his son is Thomas Wenham born 1465 and grandson, John Wenham, c1514 (though this would mean Thomas was 49 when he had him so it unlikely this is John's exact DOB.
I have not come across a unknown daughter yet, but anything that relates to the Brewse family would be useful since whenever I type Wenham into google it comes up with Brewse.

Any more information would be highly useful,

Cheers  ;D ;D

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 October 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna-Suzie

The de Brewse were originally the de Broase family from Briouze, Normandy.  It looks like the main line died out in the 1300's with a daughter who married John Mowbray.  A member of a cadet branch of the family was Sir William de Brewse of Stinton Norfolk and Wenham Parva, Suffolk whose daughter Amy married Sir Roger Townshend of Raynham, Norfolk, she died in 1551.  There are numerous spellings of the de Brewse name.

The most famous or infamous of this family were William de Braose who was responsible for the Abergavenny massacre in 1175, one called Black William who was hanged by Prince Llewellyn in 1230 and another William and his mother who were imprisoned and starved to death by King John.

Offline printyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 January 12 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steph
Can you please contact me about Wenham family and I believe you are also researching Dancer
Regards
Debbie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Spain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 January 12 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Like everybody else I am stuck with Richard Wenham. There are some later Wenhams regularly recorded as 'poor' in my husband's family tree and I originally traced the connection in a book at East Sussex archives but have had no opportunity for further more localised research....
A printed version of the Visitations of Sussex is available online. One version lists the Wenham family beginning with Richard Wenham of Wenham Hall who appears to have had 2 children;
1) "Thomas Wenham sonn & heire was the first yt came into Sussex". He appears to have married "...d. of French of Strene", and to be the father of 'John Wenham of Morehayle in com. Sussex', and
2) "A daughter marid to.....Bruse wth whom hee had Wenham Hall".
Has anybody been able to see the original document and perhaps attempt to fill in the gaps? It may be a bit of family hyperbole but it does seem that the Wenhams believed that there was a connection with the Bruse family. The clue seems to be the the daughter but who was she? I have had a quick look at the Manors of Suffolk (thanks Steph!) but there do not seem to be any obvious candidates. Could it be that the Richard who came to Sussex was originally known as Richard OF Wenham.... If that was the case his family name could have been anything......! Oh! dear........

Offline Suffolkfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:38 BST (UK) »
Anyone who has attempted to follow the trail of the Wenhams as shown in the Visitations of Sussex, may be interested in the following.

John Wenham (c.1694-1768) later known as Sir John Wenham of Beckenham, Kent commissioned maps of land he owned including Hamsey in Sussex.   The Wenham coat of arms, as described in the Visitations, is depicted. Source: National Archives HAMSEY SHR/2849 1752.  His father was Sir Thomas Wenham; baptized in Hailsham in 1663 and died in New York in 1709.

The John Wenham said to be 6 years old in 1634 at the time of the Visitations was the Rev. John Wenham of Hailsham who married Elizabeth Wynyard.   (A brother Richard Wenham is shown in both the Visitations of Sussex and London where he was said to be living in Farringdon Within and in the latter case his coat of arms has a star incorporated into the design to distinquish him from his brother, John, the male heir.)

The marriage settlement dd 1655 of John Wenham and Elizabeth Wynyard refers to John Wynyard of Westminster as being her brother.  John Wynyard the grandfather, groom to the wardrobe of Elizabeth 1st and James 1st, married Susannah Stonehouse whose 2nd husband was Sir John Stafford.  His parents, William Stafford and Dorothy Stafford, were distant cousins.   William Stafford's 1st wife was Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry V111.   (Kind of makes up for the lack of info regarding the Richard Wenham allegedly of Wenham Hall Little Wenham!) 

Elizabeth Wynyard's grandson, Lt. Gen. John Wynyard made a will in 1752.  In the event of his children's death, his estate was to go to his "kinsman, John Wenham".   I believe this to be the Sir John Wenham of Beckenham mentioned above.   

John Wenham and Elizabeth Wynyard had 3 known sons; John (c. 1657-1676), Rev. George Wenham of Rotherfield (c.1660-1736) and Sir Thomas Wenham (1663-1709).   George Wenham's 1st wife was Mary Willett with whom he had a daughter, Hannah.  She married the Rev. George Lewis of Rotherfield.  I believe she may be the Hannah Lewis that is referred to in documentation with regard to the Wynyard family.

If anyone has details of any documentation to which the Wenham Coat of Arms was applied I would be grateful to have details.

Offline Suffolkfolk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Anyone who has attempted to follow the trail of the Wenhams as shown in the Visitations of Sussex, may be interested in the following.

John Wenham (c.1694-1768) later known as Sir John Wenham of Beckenham, Kent commissioned maps of land he owned including Hamsey in Sussex.   The Wenham coat of arms, as described in the Visitations, is depicted. Source: National Archives HAMSEY SHR/2849 1752.  His father was Sir Thomas Wenham; baptized in Hailsham in 1663 and died in New York in 1709.

The John Wenham said to be 6 years old in 1634 at the time of the Visitations was the Rev. John Wenham of Hailsham who married Elizabeth Wynyard.   (A brother Richard Wenham is shown in both the Visitations of Sussex and London where he was said to be living in Farringdon Within and in the latter case his coat of arms has a star incorporated into the design to distinquish him from his brother, John, the male heir.)

The marriage settlement dd 1655 of John Wenham and Elizabeth Wynyard refers to John Wynyard of Westminster as being her brother.  John Wynyard the grandfather, groom to the wardrobe of Elizabeth 1st and James 1st, married Susannah Stonehouse whose 2nd husband was Sir John Stafford.  His parents, William Stafford and Dorothy Stafford, were distant cousins.   William Stafford's 1st wife was Mary Boleyn, sister of Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry V111.   (Kind of makes up for the lack of info regarding the Richard Wenham allegedly of Wenham Hall Little Wenham!) 

Elizabeth Wynyard's grandson, Lt. Gen. John Wynyard made a will in 1752.  In the event of his children's death, his estate was to go to his "kinsman, John Wenham".   I believe this to be the Sir John Wenham of Beckenham mentioned above.   

John Wenham and Elizabeth Wynyard had 3 known sons; John (c. 1657-1676), Rev. George Wenham of Rotherfield (c.1660-1736) and Sir Thomas Wenham (1663-1709).   George Wenham's 1st wife was Mary Willett with whom he had a daughter, Hannah.  She married the Rev. George Lewis of Rotherfield.  I believe she may be the Hannah Lewis that is referred to in documentation with regard to the Wynyard family.

If anyone has details of any documentation to which the Wenham Coat of Arms was applied I would be grateful to have details.

Offline mumsabout

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 April 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
hi I am on another site and looking up wenham and for some unknown reason i got myself on this site and i found you and a few others asking about Wenham of Wenham hall little Wenham.i must admit I am no clearer as to if this is an ancestor or not.My Grandmother was Edith Wenham 1883 married to john Edward Harding,my mother was Winifred Duffin (nee Harding ) I am more intrested in portraits of wenhams.
Regards Shirley