Author Topic: Link Historical Document  (Read 4228 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Link Historical Document
« on: Saturday 05 March 05 08:45 GMT (UK) »
http://www.scan.org.uk/researchrtools/shetland_ms.htm

This notebook, 12 cm x 18 cm, with 68 pages completed, entitled 'Notes of conversations about the Old Rock'. ('The Old Rock' is a local phrase often used to describe Shetland.)

The author of the notes was Thomas Mathewson, a native of the island of Yell in Shetland who later became an episcopal church minister, first in Yell and later in Aberdeenshire. He seems to have prepared the notes around 1889-90.

The notes are about local antiquarian matters. They comprise anecdotes about local people and families, and archaeological matters, mainly about Yell, sometimes with a genealogical tinge.

Offline olinda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Link Historical Document
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 05 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Mathewson's notes include a detailed reference and family tree for my ancestors in Shetland. The tree starts with the Urquhart brothers (Thomas and John) who were born before 1745 and 1754 respectively. They came from the Orkneys and settled and married in Yell and Fetlar. John was my gggggfather.
Are you aware of any records for the Orkneys where I might start to look for them before they relocated to the  Shetlands?.
Urquhart (Orkney, Shetland, Liverpool, Cardiff)
Nippers (Wlltshire,Bristol,Glamorgan)
Catford (Bristol, Cardiff)
Sims (Worcester, Glamorgan)
Rose (Devon Cardiff)
Westlake (Devon, Cardiff)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 05 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Try this site — best I know of for Orcadian and Shetland records; my ancestors are also from Orkney, Shetland and Fair Isle.

http://www.cursiter.com/

Good luck, Rian.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline olinda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rian. I'll let you know if I make any progress.
Urquhart (Orkney, Shetland, Liverpool, Cardiff)
Nippers (Wlltshire,Bristol,Glamorgan)
Catford (Bristol, Cardiff)
Sims (Worcester, Glamorgan)
Rose (Devon Cardiff)
Westlake (Devon, Cardiff)