Author Topic: Sarah Wood (nee Bower) - Hunslet  (Read 14211 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Wood (nee Bower) - Hunslet
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 December 09 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Funny thing or coincidence I was over your way at Idle having  my xmas din dins at my Neices house friday xmas day.

Good luck with your search! for Colleen
I'm in Wakefield archives some mondays and Halifax-Kirklees
Lancashire archires Preston & Manchester other times also   Warwick & Lichfield in Summer so just shout if you need anything

Dave
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 January 10 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Being born in Leeds I was very interested in this post. I needed to find out where my Grandparents were buried and as long as you know the cemetary they will give you a map as to where in the cemetary they are.  I also spoke to a lovely guy who organises for Leeds City Council, and he knows the dates of births as well as the deaths as I think they have all the original paperwork.
I say this as being retired now I have gone and walked around cemetaries for other people on this site but it is hard work and takes hours if you dont know where abouts in the graveyard they are.
I am going up to Leeds for a visit next week and am going to try and see the records in St Peters Church where most of my family were married.  I noticed Horitio was married there too which is not far from Hunslet. I can have a look for the childrens births.
This is if I can get in on my visit and as long as it doesnt cost.  I dont fancy wallking around Hunslet cemetary as it is quite big if my memory is right. It would be hard without a map. 
I would advise anyone who hasnt walked around these old graveyards that alot of the old stones are now either worn out so you cant see the wording, they have green moss on them or they have fallen down so you cant see the wording.
If I find anything about the children I will repost some of the info but cant promise alot.
I have alot of children in my tree in Leeds dying in those years as well so probably Cholera was the epidemic of that time, bless them.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 03 October 16 07:10 BST (UK) »
1 John Bower, Hunslet, cabinet maker
 John Bower and Company, Hunslet, vitriol and
 aqua fortis manufacturers
Calderdale GB 203 
 WYC:1089/226 
Phone WYAS CALDERDALE Held at Halifax Library >WYAS ask for Ian

Manor Ct Normanton Wakefield 1849

And John Bower Birkenshaw/Hightown  WaKefield/Bradford turn pike road 1812ish Bradford WYAS

My interest, is where the burial of George Hood of Selby died Selby 18 September 1845 took place. (Not Staff Sgt George Hood of Leeds earlier that month).

Found this on a search of "Hood" ...

The Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser of 23rd February 1839.

On Thursday week, in his 80th year, John Bower, Esq, of Hunslet, near this town, oil of vitriol manufacturer, and father of Mrs Wells Hood, of York. ... he belonged to the Methodist New Connexion, from its establishment, ...

There is a bit about Bower being a chemist, about his liberal politics and being chosen a member of the Town Council of Leeds at the first free election.

Yorkshire Gazette 10th February 1821 (see also Leeds Intelligencer, 12th Feb 1821 which also says Wells Hood, Wine Merchant of York)
On Wednesday last, at the Parish Church, Leeds, by the Rev. C. Clapham, Mr. Wells Hood, of Stamford Bridge, spirit-merchant and seedsman, to Ann, second daughter of Mr. J. Bower, oil and vitriol maker, &c. Hunslet, near Leeds.

Wells Hood likely related to Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge, who was born Leven [nr Catwick].
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752071.0

British History Online says that William Wells devised the Manor of Catwick to a Richard Hood.

ER of Yorkshire Archives (via TNA)
Will of Mr William Hood of Catwick, farmer
Date of will: 22 Jan 1851
Date of probate: 29 Mar 1852
zDDWS/2/2/1/16

Somebody (online) appears to have got back to Wells Hood, born Dunnington, (aged 56, Wine & Sprit Merchant in 1851, married to Anne Hood born Leeds, aged 50) so I hope they find the above helpful.

Regards Mark

Offline rcwheeler

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 January 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in Joshua Bower's activities as a toll contractor.  He leased tolls in a lot of places: Stamford Bridge (E of York), Grimston Smithy bar (3 miles E of York), Brough ferry and the turnpike thence to Market Weighton, Balderton bar (just S of Newark on Gt N Rd), Patrington Haven, Burslem market, Boston wharf.  There may well be others.  If one was leasing tolls one needed to appoint a collector and - very important - make sure he stayed honest.  So how did Bower do this?  Your investigations have shown he had a son-in-law at Stamford Bridge (who could probably keep an eye on Grimston Smithy as well.  So did he have family at these other places?  It certainly suggests places you might care to look.
Brough and Boston are places where the surveyor Anthony Bower worked. (He died 1823, leaving a son Samuel - an inferior surveyor and civil-engineering contractor who vanishes about 1843.)  I should be very interested if Anthony turned out to be related to Joshua.
Incidentally, there is a lot more on the Bowers' industrial activities in the 1975 thesis by J Connell, "Industrial Development in South Leeds, 1790-1914" - available on-line.  It seems to imply that Joshua's father was also called Joshua.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Thank you for your message about the Bower family having interests at other places.

Mark

Offline Elibob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 February 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I recently signed up to roots because I've seen your chats while I've been browsing on the internet and they have helped me to learn abit more of my family history, so thank you!

I know its been 10 years since the first post but If Calverley Lad (Brian) you can see this I have fairly recently come into the possession of a family tree written in 1966 where Joshua Bower of Hunslet had a unnamed daughter who married a Mr Wood, although it does not list their children. However, the child of niece of theirs is named Bower Brooks, possibly suggesting a connection as with Bower Wood.

If Colleen from Australia is on roots chat it may be intresting to swap information as my relations are the Bower family from Hunslet, which have been featured in the posts.

I understand its been along time so this may not come to anything.

Thanks all,

Ed.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 February 19 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed
Just seen your post, best of luck with your search.
 Regards Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 09:25 GMT (UK) »

I have fairly recently come into the possession of a family tree written in 1966 where Joshua Bower of Hunslet had a unnamed daughter who married a Mr Wood, although it does not list their children. However, the child of niece of theirs is named Bower Brooks, possibly suggesting a connection as with Bower Wood.

Ed.

Possibly BOWER BROOKE according to a newspaper?

Joshua Bower BROOKE, Deceased. London Gazette 1914
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28969/page/9186/data.pdf

Leeds Times, 14th October 1876
BROOKE - DOBSON.-October 11th, at St. Mary's Church, Hunslet, Joshua Bower Brooke, solicitor, Leeds, to Elizabeth, second daughter of Richard Dobson, the Grange, Middleton.

Middle surname (Bower Brooke) usually suggests a family link, if you work back through the England & Wales Census, along with the Marriages and Births etc., you will hopefully find the Bower Brooke link?

Some of the Hood Bower family were Independents (Nonconformist NC, not C of E) and after about 1838 - 1840 period some of these original NC Registers are not online and may be found in Record Offices if you know their NC religion and who has the Register now. If NC and from 1837, it can be quicker and easier to order the Civil Registrar Copy.

----------

Some of the Parish church Marriage Certificates are online from 1837 in the 19th Century.

If not online, England & Wales Copy Marriage Certificates can be obtained from either the District Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages OR from the UK General Register Office (GRO), back to 1837. GRO is a UK government (gov.uk) website. The details required for ordering are in the Index.

To find the Index and also check the Images of the Index to get the District, Year, Quarter, Vol and Page number required ...
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

----------

Interesting my HOODs (not known to be linked Wells HOOD), are linked to the DOBSON surname.

Mark

The Northern Star and Leeds General Advertiser of 23rd February 1839.

On Thursday week, in his 80th year, John Bower, Esq, of Hunslet, near this town, oil of vitriol manufacturer, and father of Mrs Wells Hood, of York. ... he belonged to the Methodist New Connexion, from its establishment, ...

There is a bit about Bower being a chemist, about his liberal politics and being chosen a member of the Town Council of Leeds at the first free election.

Yorkshire Gazette 10th February 1821 (see also Leeds Intelligencer, 12th Feb 1821 which also says Wells Hood, Wine Merchant of York)
On Wednesday last, at the Parish Church, Leeds, by the Rev. C. Clapham, Mr. Wells Hood, of Stamford Bridge, spirit-merchant and seedsman, to Ann, second daughter of Mr. J. Bower, oil and vitriol maker, &c. Hunslet, near Leeds.

Wells Hood was related to Richard Hood of Stamford Bridge, who was born Leven [nr Catwick].
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752071.0

British History Online says that William Wells devised the Manor of Catwick to a Richard Hood.

ER of Yorkshire Archives (via TNA)
Will of Mr William Hood of Catwick, farmer
Date of will: 22 Jan 1851
Date of probate: 29 Mar 1852
zDDWS/2/2/1/16

Wells Hood, born Dunnington, (aged 56, Wine & Sprit Merchant in 1851, married to Anne Hood born Leeds, aged 50)

Regards Mark

Offline Elibob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 20:41 GMT (UK) »
That's very interesting.
Thanks Mark.