Author Topic: DURSTON circa 1573-1707. Re: The battle of Sedgemoor  (Read 10437 times)

Offline DSR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DURSTON circa 1573-1707. Re: The battle of Sedgemoor
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:31 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose I qualify only being a descendant of Christopher's sister Sarah 
Syljun

You would need the blood link to Sophia Rouse ( Christophers wife ).

But I think there is an hidden gem if  this Durston link can be made ;)

Offline pentangle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 May 10 20:04 BST (UK) »
Christopher Rouse Durston was the son of Christopher Durston and Sophia Rouse so tantalisingly close, but no cigar unfortunately!

Offline llysycoed

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 21:20 BST (UK) »
John Durston of Langport (Will) 1572 married Marie?  They had 6 daughters and eight sons.

Son John Durston ( I shall name as John Durston 11 married Katherin Moore about 1573.  They had two sons of which I am aware.

Thomas Durston 1 Gentleman married Joan Roe , he was buried at Moorlinch Church 25 Jun 1665( Will)  He had a brother Robert.

Thomas Durston 11 Gentleman married Katherine Tuxwell 19 Nov 1621.  Thomas was buried at Moorlinch 8 Dec 1630 (Will).

Thomas 111 Gentleman/Captain married Edith, he was buried at Moorlinch 22 Jun 1688 (Will).  His Charity Number is 226224.

The three Thomas' were buried in one large grave at St. Mary the Virgin, Moorlinch.  By the laws of primogeniture the family inheritance transferred to Thomas's cousin Charles (the elder) who married Grace as instructed by Thomas Durston 1 because Thomas D 111 had no sons.  This is where it is difficult to establish an ongoing line and records are missing.

Thomas Durston (111) took part in the battle of Sedgemoor.  His pistol is held at the Taunton Museum, Somerset, England.

It is very difficult to find all the necessary references to prove what is necessary.  I have done so much by obtaining the relevant Wills from the National Archives at Kew.

I would appreciate you advising how you found out what Thomas ate before the battle, etc.  Any extra titbits would be great to add.

Llysycoed

Offline DSR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 September 15 09:24 BST (UK) »

I would appreciate you advising how you found out what Thomas ate before the battle, etc.  Any extra titbits would be great to add.

Llysycoed

This is a blast from the past. Its now six years on and I'm afraid the link between John Durston b1707 and Thomas Durston is still illusive. The primary issue is a damaged BMD microfilm that appears to have John Durston b1707; however, much of it is unreadable.

The historic accounts of Thomas [and his eating habits] should be held at SRO, and are often cited in many books detailing events at Sedgemoor. Its been many years since I carried out the research and I no longer have the information to hand. I'll see what I can find when I next dive into the basement of my computer.

Offline shoopshoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 May 16 09:51 BST (UK) »
Just a thought. My link to the Battle of Sedgemoor was Thomas Place who was a Quaker (for a while) and some of his vital records (kids bapts) are in their records. He was from Edington.

Offline Bluett56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm late to the Battle I know, but I have been researching Durston family of Catcott, Somerset, for about 2 or 3 years off and on.
1. John Durston 13 SEP 1707 St Peters church, Catcott, is the son of John Snr (1685-1741)marr. Joanne Capper or Cupper (1685-1753). Bapt. record image on Ancestry.com.
The month in the image is indescipherable so I have averaged it to September.
 I am a direct descendant of Christopher and 2nd wife Sophia Rouse (daughter of the Rev. Ezekial Athanasius Rouse, rector of Othery) through there son William John Upjohn Durston and Sarah Annie Wall, both who migrated under the bounty system to Tasmania, as Agricultural servants.
2.Bear in mind that these parishes (Moorlinch, Bridgewater, Ashcot etc) are all in close proximity and it is quite conceivable that siblings and cousins ended up in surrounding towns, due either to employment or even marriage.
3. Looking for background on Catcott, I came across the reference to Capt Thomas Durston gave poor relief (in his will 1686) to the poor descendants of his Grandfather Thomas Durston. The recipients in 1825 included John Durston, the parish clerk of Catcott. This reference leads me to the conclusion that there is a positive family connection to the family at Catcott and Captain Thomas. I have only discovered this hint tonight and did no know of the existence of the Captain. I guess I shall have to brush up on my battles! More and more records are being released each year so possibly they were not available when you originally searched.
4. I have found Free Reg a useful tool for finding family in Catcott, Somerset. There are a lot of incorrect trees for this family on the net! It is frustrating when with a little bit of sleuthing I have been able to dispel myths. So "Prove all things" as Wordsworth said. I would love to hear from you on your discoveries or if you require help. I have been researching since about 1985, It the constantly changing software which challenges me! Oh and don't forget to look at records on Family Search Family Tree. email colblue@live.com.au
Regards, Colin Bluett. Western Australia

Offline rocke87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 December 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cousins,
I am too a direct descendant of Christopher and Sophia living in Melbourne Australia.

I and many others have had trees on the Durston's for years and yes many errors in lots of trees.

So I would assume that many of you have confirmed by now by way of DNA tests to confirm the connection with each other.

I would love to be able to confirm with all of you a connection by way of Gedmatch so I will leave my number here and hopefully you will all do the same.
My number is (A492768).

With the few Durston 1st cousin Marriages and similar naming practices there will always be errors and those errors will be copied into other tress unless we all help each other correct those errors instead of sitting back complaining.

I will be the first to say there are errors in my tree and for those who have the access to records within easy reach or the funds to spend endless dollars on getting those records maybe help out those that are not so fortunate just a little to correct those errors.

Of course you all know this puzzle will never end there is always more to know and future generations will want to know this (please pass your trees on) ;)

Craig Plunkett
cplunket@bigpond.net.au