Author Topic: GAMMONS  (Read 21717 times)

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAMMONS
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 January 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyne
I found a likely marriage on Family Search. 15 Oct 1806 in Whiston, Northamptonshire between Thomas Gammons and Hester Campion. Whiston is just over 10 miles away from Stagsden, and as they named their first child Campion....
Helen

Offline Helen Bedford

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAMMONS
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 07 May 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Further on the subject of marriages, this time for Thomas Gammons born 1818:
his marriage in Oct 1845 to Jane Nouch wasn't his first!
I had a Thomas Gammons born 1840 (son of Jesse) that I had married off to Alice Scales (nee Godfrey) without checking on them in the census - when I did on revisiting the family recently, I realised my mistake - the Thomas in the census was 20 years older than mine!
It turns out that my Thomas(1840) went up to Liverpool and married a Annie Williams there and I found him in West Derby with her and a daughter, Ada, in 1881 (he was a Police Constable).

But in trying to sort out the two Thomases I found another marriage for Thomas Gammons of Moggerhanger - to Mary Ann Bartrum in Cople 29 July 1839 on Steve Gibbs excellent site (would recommend it to anybody with relatives in Bedford registration district).
According to the Family Search website they had two daughters, Emma (baptised 21 May 1841) and Sarah (baptised 14 May 1843), so that would match up with the Sarah found by John in 1851.
Not sure what happened to the first Emma but Mary was buried 23 Mar 1845 in Blunham, according to FindMyPast, and she was born in 1817 - which ties in perfectly with Mary Ann Bartrum, who was baptised 26 Jan 1817, daughter of James and Ann.

It's a funny old world - the man I thought wasn't related to me turned out to be related to me after all, but to a different part of my tree as Bartrum is also part of my tree - through the Goodship family to Houghton and Franklin families and back to Jesse Gammons family again!
Mind you it just shows how interrelated families were in the countryside before the age of mass transit!
Helen
ps just found a burial in Blunham for Emma (as Gammon) 21 July 1841 on FindMyPast plus a birth for her in Dec 1839 in Biggleswade district and the family under the surname G?? with a Thomas, a Mary and an Emma of the right ages (20, 20 and 1 with the ages rounded for the adults) in 1841 Blunham!