Author Topic: William (McQuire) Martin  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William (McQuire) Martin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 September 09 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again Bob

I'll take a look and see if I can locate a funeral notice for Leonard James (d. 1980)  ... (or for his wife who died quite a bit later).   Maybe a link to MARTIN descendants can be found that way ?

Lu

Offline trevk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 October 09 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
I'm new to all of this and have just recently started tracing my family tree and have just come across your posts.
My Grandfather on my mothers side was John Leslie MARTIN b.1910 in St Kilda, Dunedin, NZ his father was John MARTIN b.1891 in Auckland, NZ. John Martin married Mary Jane Evans. John's father was William Martin McQUARRIE b. 1857 in Cumberland, England and his mother was Annie Fleet b. 1865. William's Father was George McQUARRIE and his mother was Martha MARTIN. I have a Birth Cert for John MARTIN and his father is William MARTIN (no McQUARRIE)mother Annie MARTIN nee FLEET. I also have a Marriage cert for William and Annie, William's name on it is William Martin McQUARRIE (it is hard to read but definitely is McQUARRIE and NZBDM have it listed as McQUARRIE also). This all sounds like the same family you are tracing even though you are saying McQUIRE, I would be interested to know where you got this from and I am keen to go back further in this family and you said in one of your post that you have info back to c1757 I would love to get a copy of it.

Thanks
Trev
Keating Martin Taylor Sutherland Aston Lee Fleet McKenzie Edge

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 October 09 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Trev,
Thats good news as it really seems to be the same family despite the  name difference of McQuire/ McQuarrie.  This fellow William McQuire who changed his name to Martin was the Son of Joseph McQuire was born on 26th July 1857 at Ennerdale  in Cumberland. He was one of 13. Hi mum Martha Martin was baptised 6 Jan 1828 at St Bees her parents were William & Mary Martin nee Choice.

Joseph & Martha were married 6 June 1852 at St Bees. William (McQuire) Martin's sister married Mark Taylor who was the great Granddad of my wife. I have a copy of a copy photo showing William Martin, his mum & dad his sister and a couple of others which I will dig out.
Please remind me and jog me if it doesn't come through soon. All of the info is on ancestry.co.uk
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 October 09 08:19 BST (UK) »
further to my last, William Martin had a sister Sara Ann who also went to NZ about 1881/82. she married a john Thompson (1855 - 1927) on arrival at dunedin and settledon the west coast. children of sara ann (annie?) were martha,robert, joseph elizabeth & william
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline trevk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 October 09 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
Thank you very much for all the info, it fills in a lot and gives me heaps more to do some more research on.
The only the only thing is that on William and Annie's marriage certificate(which I have a copy of) it says his father is George McQuarrie not Joseph and his mother is Martha Martin, where did you get the name Joseph from ?
I would definitely love a copy of the photo you mentioned, putting faces to names makes everything seem more real.

Thanks again
Trev

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 October 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see with the details that I have, the only george born was to William (McQuire) Martin and his wife. There is no substance to this that I can remember but I seem to recollect someone telling me that william changed his name because of some dodgy relationship. This whole tree is of my wife's family. There is no blood line between us so I have done it mainly out of interest and because I got hold of a load of indentures and other documents whn an old maiden aunt died from another line. The whole family of Taylors, Kennedys, Snooks and McQuires have lived in the same area for multi generations and are therefore relatively easy to research plus they all had large families. A quick look through records here do not show a George McQuarrie in the right palce at that right time

Offline trevk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 October 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, it looks like I'll have to do a bit more research to try and confirm a few things. Nothing seems to be straight forward about tracing families, but that's what makes it fun!!
Trev

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 October 09 08:11 BST (UK) »
Quite agree there.  One thing is for sure - ancestors don't go anywhere - they just wait to be found! I am a bit busy with other things at the mo but keep hammering at me as I plan to commit all that I have to the PC then it will relatively easy to transmit it to you.  I'll make a special effort with the photo as it shows 3 generations dating from 1822 and was taken about 1890 so really it links almost to the present day
bob

Offline trevk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 October 09 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
No rush on anything as you say ancestors don't go anywhere. I have found lots of information recently and need to take a bit of a break from research (very hard to do) and get it all organized. I started out well but seem to have bit of paper everywhere at the moment.
Look forward to hearing from you and thanks again for all the info.
Trev