Author Topic: Frederick John Beer CORP 2ND BATT,NTH LANC REGT  (Read 1692 times)

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick John Beer CORP 2ND BATT,NTH LANC REGT
« on: Friday 18 September 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, I wonder could anybody give  me any information about this Corporal please, or where to find some information? He was in 2ND BATT,NTH LANC REGT. He married my great grandfather's sister in 1891 in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh N.Ireland. He was 22 at that time . She was Annie Elizabeth Quinn and was also 22 in 1891. She was in the 1911 census living with her father Patrick Quinn at Lisbellaw. I think this post is in the wrong place as he was serving before the 1st world war but I wasn't sure where to put it. Sorry.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick John Beer CORP 2ND BATT,NTH LANC REGT
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 09 17:14 BST (UK) »
Was Elizabeth down as married or as a widow in 1911? If she was down as married then Frederick should be around somewhere. He might still have been in the army - he would have been 42 in 1911, so not impossible.

If he had left the army by then, then his discharge papers should be at the National Archives at Kew, I don't think that those for ordinary soldiers are online, so it means a visit or getting someone to look on your behalf.

Good luck

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
Maybe worth checking the "pension" records on Ancestry ..there are a number of Fred Beers( i can only get the index) he may have still had military links with Great War even if he didnt go overseas be it recruiting or training back home men were known to have served well into their 50s especially with prior service.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
There is no Medal Card for a Frederick Beer, North Lancs on the NA website search engine. Might be under one of his other names - I didn't check those.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 09 19:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, if he didnt go overseas but just had "home" service ie training recruiting etc he wont have a Medal Index Card.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline coolafinney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 September 09 06:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much jds1949 and mmm45 for your suggestions. I did check if Eliza was married or widowed and it said she was married and had 7 children. I have only got the index for Ancestry also so may not get far with that at this point in time. Thanks for checking the Medal cards for him too jds1949. Tom Quinn, Eliza's brother was also in the army, in the RA and he never served in the Great War although his sons James and William Quinn did. They went to the Somme and survived. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I am doing my cousin's family tree for her and Frederick John Beer was her great grandfather. He did marry an Annie Elizabeth Quinn 1891 Enniskillen Ireland however, I have Frederick John Beer on 1911 at his fathers property in Derby. I have also had contact from someone who is doing a tree on behalf of their son in law who is a decendent of James Henry Beer one of Fredericks sons.  I would be very interested in any of the irish information you have regarding Annie Elizabeth.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
His service record is in the National Archives WO 97 series (also on FindMyPast for a sub),  marriage to Annie Quinn cross checks.  Served 1888 to 1908, overseas tours in Ceylon and South Africa.  Record also shows 3* baptisms, Frederick, James (or John) and Edith, finished service as a Sergeant.

I have sent you a PM

maxD

*Edit  - and another 4 Percival, Cicely, John and Laurence
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline captainjackdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for that - to be honest it was his wife Annie Elizabeth Quinn I needed details on. Already got Frederick's details. Think I need to contact user Coolafinney by pm,  as he had the details I am interested in.

thanks again