Author Topic: Day trip on the Hay-Brecon railway  (Read 14971 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Day trip on the Hay-Brecon railway
« on: Friday 18 September 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been told that the first picture is of a day trip from Blaina S Wales, probably on the Midland Railway(?) and that the train in the back of the picture was a Robinson C14 Great Central Railway 9L Atlantic tank engine.  The picture was probably taken before the group left the charabanc for the train.  I am also told that the trip was probably on the Hay-Brecon railway line.  With these clues could anyone hazard a guess at what station it was?  Could it have been Blaina's station in the 1920-30's.  The baby in the picture was probably my aunt or at least my mother which would have put the picture at sometime between 1929-30.  Can anyone help any further. The second picture is from a cutting someone did for me, to show that there was a train in the background. regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Day trip on the Hay-Brecon railway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
It could possibly be Brecon.  The line was raised as in the photo, and houses of a similar style to those shown still exist today. Unfortunately I live about 10 miles from Brecon, so I can't just pop out to check. ;D  However, if no-one else posts a positive identification, I'll try walking in that direction next week and see if I can spot the houses.  There is no longer a railway in Brecon, and the area where it used to run consists of council offices, car parks, a fire station and a children's playground.

Lovely photo, anyway, wherever it was taken!

Regards,
Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Brecon Station is shown here- http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/brecon/stations.shtml

It is certainly not the building seen in the background of the photo.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
I didn't say it was the station in the background; what I said - or meant to say -  was that the houses in the background look similar to those which still stand alongside what used to be the railway line in Brecon.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 09 01:56 BST (UK) »
If the photo in the web link was taken in the time around 1860 /80 and the 1920/30 photo taken from the side of the station looking across the railway line and these houses built later opposite the station maybe. Though I think your photo was a little earlier more 1910-1920 but only a guess! by the cloths and bus.
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
Ah, I think I've cracked it at last!  Having spent the other day wandering up and down Camden Road (where the Brecon Station used to be) I returned empty-handed.  However, this lunchtime, as I popped into town to the supermarket, I suddenly looked up and - lo and behold - there were the two houses shown in the photo to the left of the train!  Well, I'm pretty certain it is them, but sadly I had no camera with me.  Must go back tomorrow if possible and take photo, so I can post and you can all have a look and express opinions.

I think the houses are in Alexandra Road, Brecon, and the chara was parked roughly at GR SO 04712286 (304711E 228637N).  The station itself was a little way to the east of this, although the line itself continued westwards through Brecon and on to Sennybridge, Defynnog and south to the Valleys.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 September 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
We are getting there I think.

Some info here about how the midland took over the railway at Brecon, read section 10 competition for coal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midland_Railway

After contacting a railway forum it is thought the locomotive is a Johnson MR 1P 0-4-4T tank engine. Usually used on passenger trains. There is a picture of one here;

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrb10.htm

I also looked up Brecon railway station and came across this information. It is an interesting site for anyone interested in the area;

http://history.powys.org.uk/school1/brecon/stations.shtml   (oops same link as Geoff's, didn't read that before posting)

Note in the photo of the station the island platform with track to the left. I believe the train in the charabanc image is stood on the left side of the island platform facing away from the photographer and in the direction of Neath / Swansea.

Looking forward to hearing more from greensleeves.

A great colour railway map here as at 1887 showing the Midland owning the Hereford - Neath and Swansea lines;

http://mappery.com/fullsize-name/1887-Prinicipal-Railways-in-England-and-Wales

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 September 09 16:57 BST (UK) »
I have also come across this colour picture taken in 1962 of a GWR 0-6-0 tank and a Midland 2-6-0 loco at Brecon station. The track was still in place in the bay to the left!

http://www.gwrarchive.org/images/pr0132.jpg

The caption on the website reads thus;

" Ex GWR 5700 class 0-6-0PT number 9796 stands in Brecon station after arrival on a train from Neath with LMSR designed class 2 2-6-0 number 46511 standing in the other platform on a Mid-Wales line train - 6/10/1962 "

So even late in the history of the line, GWR and Midland (LMS) loco's were working the line, hopefully proving that the loco in the original picture is quite likely a Midland engine.

Philip

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 September 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
In the other thread, I opined that it could be a MR 0-4-4T but had reservations-
"I had thought all along that it could have been an 0-4-4T - but I could never quite convince myself that I was seeing a splasher rather than the top of someone's hat!  Nor can I find anything to suggest that MR 0-4-4Ts ever ventured into Wales - Great Malvern was possibly the limit.  Because of the gradients in South Wales, six-coupled loco's seem more likely."

However, now I've seen the picture that Hhodgetts linked to, the possibility of such a loco has increased-

But his picture troubles me - the loco has British Railways livery so it is 1948 or later.  The station nameboard appears to have a green backgound to the white letters, suggesting Southern region.  The white discs on the loco also suggest a Southern region train ... but the coaches are red.  I'm puzzled ???

Checking one of my books ... no ex-MR 0-4-4T was allocated  to any place west of Gloucester in BR days.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.