Author Topic: William Dent Esq  (Read 33629 times)

Offline Jandrea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Dent Esq
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 August 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just stumbled on this posting. I am the 4 times great granddaughter of William Dent of Brickendonbury and his wife Louisa Blunt. William was originally descended from the Crosby Ravensworth family of Dents, although his line moved to Yorkshire. There were many children but only the first born daughter, Sophia Louisa, had issue. She married her father's first cousin Rev. William Dent of Crosby Cote near Northallerton. By 1942, after many family deaths without issue, the only descendants of the Brickendonbury family, as far as I know, were my grandmother and her 3 sons. From their 7 children the descendants are now spreading out once more.

Judith

Offline historyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Teaching the Past to the Present
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 05:02 BST (UK) »
Judith,

Thanks SO much for your response!  Would you be willing to share some basic information with me about your ancestors? I'm particularly interested to know what Wm Dent (b 1761) had as an occupation (if other than gentleman), and anything about the occupations of your 18th century family members. I'd also be interested in any family traditions regarding why so many of the women remained unmarried.

So you know, I'm not related to the Dents or their kin, but the family figures into the research I'm doing for my PhD, a project that looks at kinship and economic networks of families associated with a catholic school in York.  Please feel free to contact me directly since much of this probably doesn't relate to most topics.

Regards,
Kathy
Searching a WIDE assortment of names of families whose female relatives attended the Bar Convent school in York during the 18th-19th centuries. Please contact me if you have catholic relatives who might have attended.

Offline bgor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 July 11 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,
I have been going over my notes again and wondered if you could tell me what happened to William Dent, b. 24 Jan 1798, son of William Dent and Jane Wilkinson. Some family trees have his death in 1877, but there is no other information. Would you have any other information on him?
Many thanks
Bronwyn
Dent  Pomeroy  Toll 
Buck  Grant  Clarke
Burgar
Sims
Mitchell

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 January 12 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but hope that I am on the right track.

Can anyone help me, please?

I have John Dent born c.1803 at Soulby and living in 1881 when the census lists him as a "Landowner". He married Mary Slee on 25th August 1835 and they had a son also called John who was living at Grassgill Cottage with his parents in 1881.

Do the above fit in with this family and if so, how?

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline Twiglets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 January 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if a connection from the Dent line could be linked to me through my Hedley and or Kerr lineage, because in some note's i was given mention's that i am a Descendant to a William Dent Esquire.
White - Wiltshire
Heller - Germany
Murphy - Manchester
Martin - Westminister
Saunders - Surrey

Lee      - Northumberland
Hedley   - Northumberland
Campbell - Scotland
Young    - Scotland

Biggs    - Somerset
Crocker - Devon
Pannell - Sussex
Eustace- Cornwall
Freethy - Cornwall

Garlick        - Cheshire
Broadbent  - Cheshire   
Pemberton - Liverpool
Martindale - Liverpool/Lancs/
Airey          - Westmorland/Cumbria
Usher        - Cumberland

Offline Alain, Earl of Ess

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 May 12 07:16 BST (UK) »
Have now become aware that this may be part of my F/T.  My Robert DENT (my 9th G GF) m ??? in ??? & had a d Elizabeth who died ~ 1673 after m Wm Garnett in 1739.
I did notice in another forum there was a Dent family living in Essendon, Vic, Australia which is where I live.
Welcome any help to 1 in the colonies!!
 ;)

Offline JudieRawlin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 February 13 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I would very much like to get in touch with the person 'Nick (Dent)' who posted the message quoted below.

I am trying to figure out the inter-marriages of the DENT-Wilkinson families. Specifically, if there is a blood relationship between Mary DENT (1726-1812) and William DENT (1762-1801) who marries Jane WILKINSON (1765-1820)  daughter of the aforementioned Mary DENT(1726-1812).

I am also descended from Mary Wilkinson nee Dent (1726-1812).

Thank-you for any suggestions!

Judie Rawlin

Dear Bgor, I can help and am very curious to know your connections with the family (my family).  William Dent of Battersea Rise (also described as Bolingbroke Grove, Wandsworth Common, an East India Merchant) London (1740-1823) was the younger son of John Dent of Flass, Maulds Meaburn in the parish of Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland.  He paid for a large chunk of teh early 19th Century restoration of Crosby Ravensworth church.  So far as I know, William Dent of Wandsworth never married so I don't think the Lancaster marriage is connected, though I could be wrong.  He had an "adopted" (aka illegitimate I think) daughter Mary, who inherited the house in Wandsworth and lived to the age of 97 (died 1867).  [Wandsworth is now part of London south of the Thames, but was at the time technically in Surrey.  WD worked in London, so may be referred to as of London or of Surrey.]

WD of BR's brother Robert Dent (1731-1805, his neighbour on Wandsworth Common [Dents Road in Wandsworth is built over part of their grounds], senior partner in Child's & Co bank of Temple Bar, No. 1 Fleet Street, London) was the father of John Dent MP (1761-1826), also a partner in Child's & Co bank of Temple Bar [MP for Lancaster, where he bought an estate, and later for Poole].

William Dent of Brickendonbury, Hertfordshire (1761-1833, previously of Tumlak, Bengal and later of Grange Court, Chigwell, Essex) was a cousin of theirs, a son of Rev John Dent of Ainderby Steeple, Yorkshire, son of Rev Robert Dent of North Otterington, Yorkshire (the brother of John Dent of Flass).

I am descended from the elder brother of John Dent of Flass (William Dent of Trainlands, Maulds Meaburn 1684-1766) [as well in fact as from JD of F's daughter Mary Wilkinson nee Dent (1726-1812) - there were several intermarriages].  My parents still have a house in Maulds Meaburn and we are up there regularly [I am repeating the family tradition by living in London!].

I am very curious to know what your link or interest with the Dents is?
Kind regards
Nick (Dent)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 February 13 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judie and welcome
Nick Dent has not been on rootschat for a couple of years.  If he has not changed email address he should get a notification of your reply.   If you post a couple more times you can use our personal message system to contact him by clicking on the "letter" icon under his user name - but again that depends on his email being the same.   Let us hope it is.

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 09 February 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I have attached a pdf of the Dent family that I have researched. Because it is shrink-to-fit onto one A4 page, it may be easiest viewed electronically onscreen and magnified, rather than printed out.

This is my brother-in-law's family.

I share this in the hope that it may be of help to fellow researchers, but also in the hope that anyone can supplement what is shown here and even expand it.

Here's hoping!
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent