Author Topic: Cant find family in 1911 Ireland Census  (Read 6993 times)

raher

Cant find family in 1911 Ireland Census
« on: Sunday 20 September 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
I cant find my great grand parents in 1911 Census and i have looked for hours even in counties outside Wateford using wildcard name search and everything.

Would i be best to assume they were abroad or is there a chance some of the census is missing?

Raher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cant find family in 1911 Ireland Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 09 15:00 BST (UK) »
Have you searched with just first names/ages, etc. yet? If you post the details (names agaes, children, etc) that you do know we can try to help you.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

raher

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
Here is what i have Michael Dunphy married Mary Whelan in 1897.  In process of obtaining the marriage cert from GRO.

They had a daughter Johanna Dunphy in 1905. (Have birth cert)

They were in Newtown Townland, Newtown DED, Kilmacthomas for all this and i know that they were in Newtown afterwards.

But for some reason they are not in 1911 Census.

There is a couple in Slieveroe, Pembrokestown. But they seem too young to be getting married in 1897 and also Johanna in that is a few years too young. Plus according to that census that couple were married in 1906. And i have found a marriage for a Michael Dunphy in 1906 that would match that in Census. Plus this Michael Dunphy is Farm Labourer and my one was always usually listed as Farmer.

So i am stuck and would appreciate any help.

Unfortunately i don't have any more information about siblings of Johanna at the moment.

Raher

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 September 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
there's a Johanna Dunphy age 7 mistranscribed as Durphy - she's listed as a Visitor in the household without her parents but with some possible siblings..

The location is Annestown - about 18km from Kilmacthomas

see : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Annestown/Ballynageeragh/665062/

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

raher

« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane yes i was looking at her but still no sign of her parents to fit the criteria.

Thanks
Raher

raher

« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hmmm i have found the death of a Michael Dunphy Jan-Mar 1911 aged 43 in Kilmacthomas Registration District i wonder if this could be the father of the family. I cant find Mary Dunphy widow in 1911 either so maybe she was also dead by 1911.

Perhaps the children are without their parents in Annestown.

Raher

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
should be possible to confirm if they are your Johanna's siblings.. there's only one Nano Dunphy listed on the Civil Index -

Record type: Birth
 Name: Nano Dunphy
 Registration district: Kilmacthomas
 quarter and year: Oct - Dec 1900
 volume: 4 / page: 491

if her parents are the same.. you've found them. Maybe Mary Kelly is a relation and they were sent to live with her for a while after their father died ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

raher

« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
In a few weeks i should have the marriage cert of Michael Dunphy & Mary Whelan which will tell alot.

I was told before that the Dunphy's of Lissahane Newtown were close connected.

Now there is a Mary Dunphy widow living their in 1911. She is too old to be his wife but she could be Michael Dunphy mother. I have noticed there is two grandchildren in the house with no parents. They are the right ages to be born after the marriage of Michael Dunphy & Mary Whelan in 1897.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Waterford/Newtown/Lissahane/666187/

Raher

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:51 BST (UK) »
found this info
Mary Dunphy b. 1877 d. Apr-Jun 1905 Waterford Registration District
Maybe she was also deceased in 1911 and the children were split up and living with different friends and relatives.
Two sites to look at:
www.familysearch.org
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/
good luck