Author Topic: Thomas Bell of county Kildare  (Read 7240 times)

Offline wincklers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Bell of county Kildare
« on: Sunday 20 September 09 16:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Thomas Bell. Two of his daughters married (1) John Montgomery of Naas and (2) Thomas Park. The son of John - also John Montgomery - married Mary Park, daughter of Thomas Park.

According to the "Reminiscences of John Montgomery" (my greatx4 grandfather) Thomas Bell was 'judge of the County of Kildare'.

John Montgomery, son of John M and Mary Park, was born on 12 August 1803 in Dublin, Ireland. John immigrated to South Africa as one of the 1820 Settlers. He married Susanna van Zyl and they had 14 children.

John's father died in 1815. In +/- 1837 he brought his mother, Mary Park, to South Africa. She remained in South Africa until her death in 1852. John also located his sister Maria and her husband, George Henry Coleman, in India where he was bandmaster for one of the regiments. He brought them to SA as well.

After that he searched for his elder brother, Henry, whom he also located in India. Henry and his family also moved to South Africa.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reynolds, Montgomery, Winckler, Vermaak, Kruger, Pieters, De Wet, Viljoen, Engels

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Bell of county Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I have lots of information on the origins of John Montgomery the 1820 settler who wrote his memoirs.
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline wincklers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 August 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Would you be willing to share with me?
Reynolds, Montgomery, Winckler, Vermaak, Kruger, Pieters, De Wet, Viljoen, Engels

Offline Monty128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 20 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am also a descendant of John Montgomery the Settler and am really struggling with who John Montgomery of Naas Parents, grandparents and great grandparents were can any body help

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Monty128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 March 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I have read the existing threads but it is clear as mud.

John Montgomery of Naas married Anne Faulkner in 1770 at the age of 23 which means that he was born in 1747.
There seems to be no record of a marraige to a Bell girl
The John Montgomery son of Hercules and Jane born 1693 would have been 44 at the time John of Naas was born
There are other conflicting statements

My grandfather came over from Scotland in company with two of his brothers, who settled in the north of Ireland where they carried on large manufactories.
My grandfather settled in the county of Meath, where he built the mills of Naas.
He had three daughters, who at his death opened a boarding school in St. Steven's Green.
Among the Faulkner family papers at Castledown, Co Carlow, is a certificate of marriage between Anne Nancy Faulkner and John Montgomery of Crumlin, Co Antrim, a gentleman aged 23.
They were married on the 23 November 1770.
John had a flour mill at Oldtown Naas, Co Kildare.

Also The only John Montgomery born to John of Naas died at a young age

Is there a record of the linnage traced by William Bethan from Hugh Montgomery and Livinia Jane Hunckle

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 March 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I have read the existing threads but it is clear as mud.

John Montgomery of Naas married Anne Faulkner in 1770 at the age of 23 which means that he was born in 1747.
There seems to be no record of a marraige to a Bell girl
The John Montgomery son of Hercules and Jane born 1693 would have been 44 at the time John of Naas was born
There are other conflicting statements

My grandfather came over from Scotland in company with two of his brothers, who settled in the north of Ireland where they carried on large manufactories.
My grandfather settled in the county of Meath, where he built the mills of Naas.
He had three daughters, who at his death opened a boarding school in St. Steven's Green.
Among the Faulkner family papers at Castledown, Co Carlow, is a certificate of marriage between Anne Nancy Faulkner and John Montgomery of Crumlin, Co Antrim, a gentleman aged 23.
They were married on the 23 November 1770.
John had a flour mill at Oldtown Naas, Co Kildare.

Is there a record of the linnage traced by William Bethan from Hugh Montgomery and Livinia Jane Hunckle

There is!

That was his first Marriage. Her father was Hercules, Governer of Derry

Their son Hercules Montgomery married Jane McNeil, dau of Archibald, Chancellor of Down Cathedral. Their son John b.1693 seems to have been ostracized from family.

John b.1693 had son Wm b.1717 who married Sarah Hardy, and their son John, b.1744 married Anne Faulkner, he died 1803, 10 children,  Andrew* (married Rebecca Aiken) , John (1) , Colville, John (2), Samuel, Wm (d.1796) , Hugh (d.1804), Robert (d.1803) Ann, and Catherine.

Andrew* who married Rebecca Aiken had John, Samuel, Wm, Robert and Cath

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 March 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »

Incorrect!

The first John died young....they had a second one.

Offline Monty128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 March 20 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Now it it is starting to make sense, many thanks