Author Topic: Boys home,during ww2 Bourne End  (Read 20986 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boys home,during ww2 Bourne End
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 September 09 14:03 BST (UK) »

Worth noting the home was shut down very quickly in early 1947
That was one year before that new law was passed in the UK Parliament, cannot remember what it was called but had a lot to do with child protection.
regards Don

The Children Act 1948 established a children's committee and a children's officer in each local authority. Under the 1948 Children Act, it became the duty of a local authority to 'receive the child into care' in cases of abuse or neglect.

See http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4412917.ece

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anonymouse

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 07:44 BST (UK) »
Don - my mother was born in Bourne End, and lived there till she married my father in 1951. When I asked if she could remember a boys home there, she couldn't, but assumed it to be in one of the big houses on the Abbotsbrook Estate (as it appears is the case). Evacuees were quite a common sight in Bourne End at the time, and she's quite intrigued by the official silence. She offered to talk to her brother, who is a few years older, and was probably already working when you left and might possibly have been aware of it - might possibly even have delivered bread there - he worked at the bakery.

For background, can you remember the names of any of the other boys who were there with you? And Mrs Memoriam - how sure are you of the name (sorry, it has the ring of a character from a novel by Trollope!). Also, as a matter only of curiosity, with whom were you enquiring in Reading? I ask simply because, as Barbara has implied, Bourne End is in Bucks, and Reading in Berks. I go to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies quite frequently, and so could enquire to see if they have anything at all on the place.

GRAHAM
Gough: Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire

Offline McDouall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
hi Graham.
The matrons name may have been spelt  differently?
 All I can remember is the name sounded like that.
 One [friend now] who remembers the place is Alan Ure, a few years older then I. grew up in Bourne End
 He delivered groceries to the Homestead, on a bike.
It is sometime ago since I spent a lot of time chasing information.
Reading if I remember correctly was where i was steered to, Kids like us had nothing to do with Buckingham shire, we were under the control of the London county council.
A few boys names I remember were Stanis Osterly,Derek Yorke,Bert Black,
Arthur & Eric Shaffer... note the spelling might not be correct.
Possible they are in School records.

Later when I find it I will post a photo of the place.
A few years back someone sent me pictures, His father bought the house about 1948-50 & it was demolished about 1952-56.
 The house was just over a bridge on the left, I think the brook/creek the bridge was over was man made; had a lot of trout in it ?
regards Don

Offline anonymouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.

I'll see what I can discover in Aylesbury next time I'm over there, though I won't be going again until sometime next month, I'm afraid (was there this past Saturday - sorry!). However, I'll let you know if they appear to have anything, or not. Likewise, if my family can remember anything about the place.

GRAHAM

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again Don

Do hope Graham can find something for you.

My searches of the A2A catalogue did not turn up anything unfortunately.

If there is nothing in Buckinghamshire I would suggesst you contact the London Metropolitan Archives as they should have records for places under the control of London CC.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anonymouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 20:38 BST (UK) »
Well Don: my mother's sister remembers the Homestead and the two Schafer boys.
The eldest was in her class at school. She (her name was Ruth Hodges) recalls
that they were fair, and a bit 'rough and scrappy'.

Her brother was at that time working for Spindlers the bakers, and will have been down at The Homestead sometimes in the van, delivering bread. Apparently, the place wasn't always too prompt paying ! Ruth asks if you remember the penny chocolate buns, which the kids took turns in sneaking over the road from school to buy at break time?

The Homestead was a big house directly behind what is now (and has been for many years) Bourne End Yacht Club. One way to reach it was to cross a humped-backed footbridge over a stream (I think this is what you're trying to describe - not sure if this was the Abbots Brook or not) which lead down the yacht club buildings and the river.

Haven't yet been in touch directly with my mother's brother, so I'll keep you posted.

Barbara has a good point about the London Metropolitan Archives by the way - if it was under the auspices of  LCC, then it's less likely that Bucks Archives will have anything, if the County weren't involved.

GRAHAM

Offline McDouall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 05:39 BST (UK) »
hi Graham.
that would be Arthur Schafer your sister remembers.
Eric was about 10 yrs old when i knew them, might mention here not very well.
 Such homes never bred intimate friendships.
My only friend there was Stanis Osterly, other then Derek Yorke & Bert Black who went to the Homestead from another home we were in,that was in Berkshire.
Where the House was, was just over the bridge your sister mentions.
At the rear of the house was a run down tennis court, beyond that a neglected orchard and beyond that again a boat house on the banks of a stream.
The place was very prone to flooding.
Re the buns yes i remember the shop opposite, not that I ever got a bun lol.
My main memory of that school is the Headmaster with his cane, he didn't like Homestead kids. On Friday evenings I worked in a butchers shop making sausages lol..
regards Don ps by the way I have tried posting an image but had no joy as yet... any clues how to do this? all i get is that I have already posted the picture, which I havent.

Offline anonymouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Don

I've never tried to attach anything myself, but in theory it's simple: hit 'Reply', then below the screen for your message, you click on the attachment link (a line of type in blue); that should bring up a panel enabling you to browse your computer to click onto whatever you wish to attach. But I'm sure this is what you were doing anyway! I'd suggest having another go later. Maybe the server was particulary busy? The site can be very slow at times - it's very slow right now.

GRAHAM

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 09:27 BST (UK) »

by the way I have tried posting an image but had no joy as yet... any clues how to do this? all i get is that I have already posted the picture, which I havent.

There could be a picture with the same file name, all you need to do is try  renaming  the file you are attempting to attach.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk