Author Topic: Pettigrews around Hawick  (Read 7589 times)

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Pettigrews around Hawick
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
I’ve had a few emails recently from descendants of Archibald Pettigrew and Isabella Miller.

Archibald was born ca 1821 in Ireland and Isabella (Archibald’s third wife!) born Teindside Bridge, some7 miles south of Hawick.

They had – to my knowledge – 7 children:

Jessie, born ca 1846
Archibald born ca 1848
Jane born ca 1848
Gideon Millar born ca 1855
Helen born 11 August 1856
John Millar born 26 May 1859
Daniel born 29 May 1863

I’m descended from his son John Millar Pettigrew, who was my great grandfather.

My own grandfather (who died some 50 years ago) used to say that the Pettigrews in Kelso and Dunbar with shops were related, but this may just have been a story to keep a young boy quiet!

Out the blue at the weekend, I had contact from a descendant of Isabella Miller’s brother Gideon Miller, in response to a posting elsewhere in Feb 2000!

Obviously from the "Huggan" postings there are other Pettigrew descendants.

In the 1851 there were 12 Pettigrews living in Wilton.

Are you related?

WalterC
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Pettigrews around Hawick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Walter

There are 3 tree owners showing on Ancestry with the family line. If you haven't already, might be worth making contact with them to compare notes  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chipstart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 09 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I too am a descendent of Archibald Pettigrew and Isabella Miller. Their daughter Helen was my great great grandmother. She married George Huggan and I descend through their son (also called John Miller HUGGAN).
Nicola R

Offline moschops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 10 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this info - as it happens I just started researching my tree a couple of days ago and thanks to various sites and a lot of census and BMD searching had reached the Pettigrews whom I found in the 1881 Scottish census records.  According to those Archibald Pettigrew was born in Ireland so it seems like this England boy (now living in California) has Scottish and Irish blood in him.

Chipstart you and I share a Huggan relative - my mother was a Huggan before marriage (she's still alive and living in Hampshire) and her father George Huggan (died in 1977) was the youngest brother to the John Millar Huggan who is your great-great-grandfather. 

Helen Pettigrew Huggan and George Millar Huggan were my great-grandparents so I think that makes us 3rd cousins once removed!  My mother had one brother but he never had any children.  I have some cousins who are descended from my grandfathers family but I don't know any other Huggans.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 January 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello moschops. I'm always delighted to find another Pettigrew relative. I started researching the family way back in the early 1980s, and I published my research in an article which appeared in 1988 in the Ulster genealogy journal FAMILIA. But I've made a few more discoveries since then.

My great-great-grandmother Agnes Pettigrew was the youngest sister of your Archibald Pettigrew in Hawick. Other siblings were Daniel, who settled in Beith, Ayrshire; William and John, who emigrated to the States, possibly to California; Sarah, who married James Richardson and moved to Glasgow, and Jane, married a Blackie or Blaikie and also moved to Glasgow.

Their parents were Archibald Pettigrew, joiner, and Jane Murray, who lived in Belfast. The surname was originally Petticrew with a -c-. After Archibald's death Jane brought the children over to Scotland, and in 1838 she married a Walter Leggat in Dumfries. They then moved to Hawick. By 1861 Jane and Walter were paupers living in the poorhouse in Hawick, where Walter died the following year of typhus. Jane went to live with her daughter Agnes and husband James Stewart - my 2 x great-grandparents - but in 1863 she was admitted to the poorhouse in Jedburgh where she died a few years later. Her death-certificate gives her parents as William Murray, stonemason, and Nancy Howat. For various reasons, I believe they lived in the Ballymacarrett area of Belfast.

Given the fact that Wm. Murray was a stonemason and his son-in-law Archibald Pettigrew was a joiner, I like to think the two men may have played their part in helping to build the Belfast of the early 1800s, its boom period.

I know a bit more about the Pettigrews, thanks to a huge extended family-tree in the Linen Hall Library in Belfast which was compiled in the 1830s by local man Gawin Orr. He traced not only his own direct Orr line but all the other families into which they had married, including our Pettigrews. In the 1960s an American researcher called Ray A. Jones stumbled across this handwritten MS while researching in the Linen Hall Library. The political situation in Northern Ireland was fraught, the "Troubles" were in the offing, and, mindful of the destruction of so many genealogical records in Dublin in the civil war of the 1920s, Jones decided to have the Orr MSS copied and published in book form in case the Linen Hall Library went up in flames. I have a copy of his book.

Briefly, our Archibald Pettigrew who married Jane Murray was the son of Daniel Pettigrew and Sarah Gray of Tullygirvan or -garvan, parish of Comber, Co. Down.

Daniel Pettigrew was the son of Archibald Pettigrew and Isabella Orr of Ballyknockan, parish of Saintfield (neighbouring parish to Comber). These parishes and townlands are just a few miles south of Belfast.

I've made contact over the years with various distant relatives, and am currently in regular touch with a lady in the Co. Down whose husband is a Presbyterian minister, and believe it or not, their manse is only a few hundred yards from the graveyard where some of our mutual Orr ancestors (yours too!) are buried. She once sent me photos of one of their headstones, from the 1600s.

I think that's enough for now!

Harry

Offline moschops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 10 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Pettigrew was the son of Archibald Pettigrew and Isabella Orr of Ballyknockan, parish of Saintfield (neighbouring parish to Comber). These parishes and townlands are just a few miles south of Belfast.

Hello Harry - thanks for the info, sounds like you collected a lot of in depth information there, makes for fascinating reading.

I think we may be talking about different Archibald's - the parents of Daniel in my tree were Archibald (b. 1863) and Isabella Miller (birth place listed as Ireland but nothing specific)- not Isabella Orr - and the Miller name explains where there are so many Pettigrews with Millar as a middle name. 

But there are a lot of Daniels and Archibald's floating around so who knows.

Offline walterc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Moschops

I let Harry know about your post, and now that I've see your reply to it, I have to admit to being confused.

I've sent a personal message with a list of Pettigrews, but none seem to tie in with yours.

I've an Archibald marrying an Isabella Miller but the info I have about them is that Archibald was born in Ireland, and Isabella in Roxburghshire; confusingly, they have a son, Daniel, born 1863!  I can't find an Archibald born 1863.

The Archibald above died in 1887, so possibly he would be the one in the census you noted.

WalterC
Hounam ~ Dumfriesshire; Pettigrew, Scott ~ Hawick; Tweedie ~ Hawick and Moffat;

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 10 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there are so many Archibalds and Daniels in the family that you need to keep a clear head to sort them all out.

The Archibald Pettigrew in Hawick who married Isabella Miller was married three times in all. Archibald was born in Ireland, almost certainly in Belfast, but Isabella was born in Roxburghshire, the daughter of a Gideon Miller, which is why we eventually get a Gideon Pettigrew in the family.

Archibald Pettigrew and Isabella Miller had a son called Archibald in about 1848, and a Daniel in 1863.

Incidentally, the name Daniel goes right back to a Daniel Orr in the 1600s who married Elizabeth Chalmers. Their daughter Isabella Orr married an Archibald Petticrew or -grew of Ballyknockan, and they had a son called Daniel Pettigrew who married Sarah Gray. All in Co. Down. Then the names Daniel and Archibald are carried on in future generations.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 January 10 15:40 GMT (UK) »
This is the kind of interesting coincidence that only fellow genealogists would understand.

George HUGGAN and Helen PETTIGREW (1st cousin of my great-grandmother Martha STEWART) were married in Wilton on the same day - 31st December 1874 - as a couple called Thomas CLAYTON and Jemima IRVING. The two entries appear on the same page of the Wilton marriages register, one above the other.

Thomas and Jemima had a son called Richard CLAYTON who in 1911 married Janet WELSH, a 2nd cousin of my great-granny Martha STEWART.

My Hawick ancestors are a mixture of WELSH, PETTIGREW and STEWART.

Harry