Author Topic: Descendants - GREAVES/HOOD  (Read 4388 times)

Offline Milavia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants - GREAVES/HOOD
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 13:56 BST (UK) »
Seeking to make contact with family descendants of Frank Harold Greaves (born Dover 1878) who married Ellen Martha late Wigg formerly Hood (born Corton 1878). Children: -

Frank Harold William Greaves born Lowestoft 1906 (KIA with US Coast Guard in N. Atlantic 1942 unmarried)
Leonard Greaves born 1908 Lowestoft
Ellen Greaves born 1911 Lowestoft
Ada Jane Ethel Greaves born 1912 Lowestoft (my mother)
also, children of James John Wigg and Ellen Martha Hood who married in Mutford 1897. Russel Wigg (b1898); Allan Wigg (b1899) Dorothy Wigg (b1901) and Vera Wigg (b1903)

Would descendants of the Greaves/Wigg families with any information please contact me by personal message.

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants - GREAVES/HOOD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
I think why people are reluctant to answer this posting is that we are not allowed to name descendants on Roots Chat who might still be living .
If you are lucky someone may send you a Personal Email.

Regards    Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Milavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest and reply in my very recent posting.
I am sorry I did not know the rules so will take steps to remove posting.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Milavia,

You could address our query to the East Anglian Daily Times who would be happy to help www.eadt.co.uk
They also have free weekly local newspapers for most of the larger towns throughout Suffolk.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline DelphineDevon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this Forum, so can't send a PM. However, I can tell you that Ellen Martha nee Hood married again (eventually) and I have info on her descendants through that line, also some on the Wigg connection. If you are still interested, I will post further info on the deceased ones. Do you happen to know what happened to Frank Harold Greaves?

Offline Milavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 May 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi - Thank you for your message.  What I have is: -  Ellen Martha married James Wigg Aug 1897 had 4 children: Married Harold Greaves March 1906 had 4 more children. Married Ernest Lancaster Mar 1953 had 2 more children. Harold Greaves (Graves) Died 28 St Margaret Road Lowestoft Jan 1956. I have names of all the children etc. I am not sure however who might be still living. Interested to know where you fit in to the tree. Best wishes Milavia

Offline DelphineDevon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
Delayed response owing to finding 'new' info while double-checking what I had. Probably nothing new to you, but here is my Greave timeline. I will do another post shortly about the Wiggs:

1891 census – Oulton Workhouse – Frank Greave 13, Florence 10, born Dover 'legitimate children of Herbert'
1901 census – Fourth Hand on the fishing boat 'Our Boys' out of Lowestoft, nr Newark Lightship

1903 – 29 July, burial of James John Wigg, smack man, at Lowestoft.
1906 – marriage of John Wigg's widow, Ellen Martha nee Hood to Frank Harold Grieves (sic).
    Address of both 52 Queens Rd Lowestoft, where Ellen had lived with John Wigg

1911 census – Third hand on the Lowestoft fishing vessel 'Boys Friend' in Padstow, Cornwall
      - Ellen at home with children at 52 Queens Rd
1911, 7 Sept   burial of Ellen Martha May Greaves aged 15 months

1915 - 5th August – enrols in RNVR and is immediately called up to serve on 'Halcyon II', for the whole of the war, as ? Trimmer, then stoker. Address on record 32 Queens Rd (possible mistranscript on card for 52). Halcyon II appears to have been a trawler or motor boat seconded to the Admiralty

1918, October – birth at 52 Queens Rd of Ernest Edward Wigg ('Ted') Lancaster, son of E(a)rnest Lancaster, toolmaker at Lowestoft Motor Works, a widower since April 1915, with one daughter, Grace aged 2.

1919, Dec – Harold Frank Greave demobilised from HMS Ganges. Home address on card has been crossed out and replaced by 'c/o F Newson, 25 Mariners St, Lowestoft'

1920, Jun qtr – birth of Molly E Lancaster, sister of Ted.

Ernest invented and patented the Lancaster Bi-Metallic Piston, which was made and sold through Hobbys of Dereham. Later, he and Ellen moved to London (possibly via Brighton) and a company was formed to exploit his invention further. He did not make his fortune.

12th Feb 1953 – Ernest and Ellen married very quietly at their parish church, Our Most Holy Redeemer, Clerkenwell. I deduce quietly, because it was Thursday, by licence, and the witnesses were two ladies resident at the House of Retreat of the (Anglican) Sisters of Bethany (I found them on the electoral register) It looks like no family were present, even though Ted and his family lived close by. Ellen died in 1957, and Ernest in 1979, outliving Ted by about 18 months.

Until you sent a death date for Frank of 1956, I had assumed that they married once they knew they were free to do so, and there is a death for a Harold F Graves aged 73, March qtr 1950, Lothingland, Suffolk which would fit. I don't have a certificate for that. The Lancasters remained in touch with the Wigg children in Lowestoft – Ted and his family took holidays there in the 1950s and early 60s, sometimes staying with one of the Wigg's at 52 Queens Rd. There are other explanations for the timing: pressure from e.g. the formidable Vera, Ellen knowing she was fatally ill etc.

It would be interesting to know at what point your ancestors went to Barnardo's, and on whose initiative. (I have read about the Isthmian Lines). Vera's son Derek (see upcoming post) had seen two young men in seaman's rig visiting his grandmother and was unaware that they were relatives.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline DelphineDevon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Promised second post re WIGG and others. Perhaps I am overwhelming with info? I have a tendency to do that, for which I apologise. According to Forum rules, once I have posted 3 times I can PM ...
Children of Ellen Martha Hood:

A. Children of the marriage to James John Wigg:
1. Russell James Wigg, born 19 Nov 1897: Married Daisy F I Jackson Mar qtr 1929; Pamela Wigg born Sep qtr 1930. Russell kept a fried fish shop in Lowestoft (see directories/phone books for the address) and died in Lowestoft on 11 Jan1982; Daisy died aged 81 in 1991, also in Lowestoft.

2. Allan Christopher Wigg born 14 March 1899. Always called 'Joe'. Kept a wet fish shop, selling fish bought on the harbourside each morning (Fish would be sent to London as soon as landed). Married Violet Lilian Mary Jackson Jun qtr 1942, Lothingland, believed to be Daisy's sister (not proven). No children. Died 13 Nov 1988, Lowestoft, probate 1992. Violet died 30 Nov 2008, as reported in the 'Lowestoft Journal' (on line)

3. Dorothy Eliza E Wigg born Dec qtr 1900; baptised st Margaret's Lowestoft 28 Sept 1900. No marriage found. ? Death Dorothy E E Wigg aged 43 Mar qtr 1945 Islington.

4. Vera Wigg, born 15 July 1902. Married Ernest Edmunds, a fisherman, in Lowestoft, Sep qtr 1925. Son Derrick Ernest born 7 Sept 1926, Lowestoft. Ernest followed the fish to Fleetwood, Lancashire where they lived thereafter. Ernest fished for cod in Icelandic waters. Vera died in the last qtr of 1985. Ernie died in Sep qtr 1998, aged 97. Derrick (sometimes Derek) served as a merchant seaman in WWII (was awarded medals). After the war, he was a manager for a manufacturer in Blackburn. He married twice: there were two children of his first marriage, he was then widowed and re-married. Derrick died in November 2006, aged 80, reg. Blackburn, Lancs, where he lived. His daughter died quite recently.

B Children of Marriage to Frank Harold Greaves
5. Harold William F Greaves Sep qtr 1906
6. Leonard Henry P. Greaves Jun qtr 1908 (not traced further – have you?)
7. Ellen Martha M Greaves, Jun qtr 1910, died Sep qtr 1911, buried 7th Sept aged 15 months.
8. Ada J E Greaves Jun qtr 1912.

C Children with Earnest Lancaster.
9. Ernest Edward Wigg Lancaster Born October 1918, 52 Queens Rd, Lowestoft. Called 'Ted'. Married Hetty Berna Ruth Potter 1941, Islington London. Two children: daughter Ruth died in Cornwall quite recently. Ernest was a toolmaker/engineer like his father (who came from a line of blacksmiths in Suffolk). Ted died Mar qtr 1976, Haringey, London. Hetty died 1996.

10. Molly E Lancaster 13 March 1920, Lowestoft. Married Claude Brunton, Sep qtr 1940, Finsbury. Clade originated from East Dereham. They had two children. Claude died in October 1992 and is buried in East Dereham. Molly died in Norfolk in March 2001.

After Ellen died, Ernest Lancaster remarried, in 1959, Jean Tosi, who herself died in 1974. Ernest died 29 Nov 1979, still living in Tysoe St.

I have not traced Ellen Martha Hood's ancestors back further than two generations at the moment

Offline Milavia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Delphine thank you for your comprehensive reply will revert again shortly.

Are you able to send personal messages now? This would be more effective. I could send you my e-mail address this way.

Are we related if so how?

My late Mother remembered her father Harold but she said they were not happy days. I have to presume that she and her brothers were sent to Barnodo's when Ellen could not cope anymore. I believe her father attended her wedding in 1937.

Best wishes
Milavia