Author Topic: Talbot family, Garston, Liverpool  (Read 4499 times)

Offline bibadeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Talbot family, Garston, Liverpool
« on: Tuesday 22 September 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace any living relatives of Minnie Talbot ( nee Hutchinson ) and her husband Thomas. I know that they lived in  Byron Street, Garston between 1913 and  1918 and had at least four children, Thomas Herbert, born in 1913 , William born in 1915, Harry born in 1917( in Ormskirk ) and Lilian in 1918.
Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.
Minnie Florence Hutchinson was my great grandmothers sister - (Mary Ann Jessie Hutchinson married James Emmanuel Meadows) - and my grandmother Florence Gertrude Meadows lived with her between about 1914 and 1918 in Byron Street.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Talbot family, Garston, Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hiya ...I know this is an old post ...but are you still looking for Talbot / Meadows here in Garston ?

Minnie Florence Hutchinson married Thomas Talbot 12th August 1912 at St Peter church Liverpool
Minnie was born 1889 and her father was John Charles Hutchinson...

so Minnie was 33 when she married and 39 when Lilian was born

if you go to
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
1913  Thomas H Talbot    Wavertree , Liverpool  ( St Michaels church in Garston comes under this registration)
1915 William Talbot         Wavertree , Liverpool 
1918 Lilian Talbot            Wavertree , Liverpool

I know both families in Garston ..I am 61
 P****** Talbot is 63 and
 C****** Meadows is about 70 ....
Pretty certain P Talbots dad was Harry and was a policeman ...ring any bells ??

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline bibadeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello! Many thanks for your reply to my post.
I don't know anything about Minnie other than my grandmother Florence Meadows - Minnies niece - lived with Minnie after my gran's mother died in Liverpool in 1912 ( Jessie Meadows nee Hutchinson - Minnies older sister ) The HUtchinson's and Meadow's families originally from Plumstead area of London.
Jessie's widower married again, had another 6 children and his first family with Jessie all went their separate ways - two to Canada and i have made contact with relatives there.
My grandmother's young  life has been a mystery until recently when I have been able to trace some family and events.
She went from Minnie's home to Aldershot where she served in the army for the last year of the first war, was discharged in London, worked there in a restaurant, had my aunt Nina, who was illegitimate, found a place in service in Newport Pagnell in about 1926 where she met and married my grandfather and had my mother. Sorry - this is turning into War and Peace!
The purpose of my post was to try and put the missing piece of her life into place.
She never mentioned any of her family, other than to say two sisters had gone to Canada and one boy had died. I found out recently that she had three younger siblings, all of whom stayed in England. She gave a false name for her father on her marriage certificate, and said he was dead ( he died in 1933 )
As far as i know, she never had any contact again with any member of her family after leaving Liverpool in 1917 -18.
I find it so hard to understand how she could do this - she was a very caring lady and must have been close to her Aunt Minnie. I know she hated her father for the way he had treated her mother and going to stay with Minnie must have been a real haven for her.
It's such a long shot after 100 years, but it would be wonderful to know if there are any tales in the Talbot family of Minnie's poor sister Jessie and her tragic family, and it would be good to know about Minnie. I have a very soft spot for this lady who took my gran in so many years ago.
I have photo of Jessie and 7 of her children, also her husband, James Emmanuel Meadows. He worked as a labourer in the docks at Garston and they lived at Byron Street, then Woodger Street.
Jessie died in the Samaritan Hospital for women and is buried in a communal grave in Allerton cemetery.
I have only managed one trip to Liverpool so far and that was a fleeting one as we were on our way to the Isle of Man, but we drove through the Garston area. Most of where they lived seems to have been bulldozed now, but it was good to go there albeit briefly.
Incidentally, my Meadows family emigrated wholesale - just James stayed behind after an abortive attempt to go to Canada in 1910 - and another brother who stayed in London.
The Meadows's in Liverpool caused me many a false trail when i started researching. We had always thought my gran was Liverpool born, so little did she speak of her childhood and adolescence.
It appears that when she left Liverpool, she turned her back on everything and everyone and started life afresh. All she ever mentioned from her past was her days at Aldershot and some of the ladies she worked for.
thank you again for replying - and for taking the time to read all this!!!
A hundred years on, I'm probably hoping for miracles, but any snippet of information about Minnie would be wonderful.
Debby

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 12 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hiya Debby
google
Garston Woodcutters Club
have a look at the site and you will see a Genealogy link...this may sound strange to you but Garston was basically in 2 halves
Under The Bridge
Up the Village
My mum and dad were both from Under the Bridge ...but moved to Up the Village ...so I lived ( and still do ) Up the Village ..
Garston Woodcutters is Under the Bridge ...so all those people on the Woodcutters Genealogy site will have a far better chance of finding any info about Minnie,than I will ...I will ask around anyway...
realistically , my grandparents and g grandparents would have known Minnie really well...they lived in the next street...Otway Street
I am 1 mile from Allerton Cemetery ...do you know the grave plot number by any chance for Jessie ?
What religion was Minnie ?
do you know where she worked as a 14 yr old ?....
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 12 05:50 BST (UK) »
http://www.garstonhistoricalsociety.org.uk/publications.html

have a look on this site to see if anything may help...I live in the same road as the Hall in which they meet every month, so I could pop in and ask ...
good luck
allan ;)

Offline steve193

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
HI, bibadeb my great grandparents are talbots from under the bridge garston, henry talbot and lizzie talbot born approx 1895 married 1915 she was nee mellor children harry, george, stanley, rose but I understand they had 11 but some died young, rose went on to marry sammy macnamara and then authur grey woodcutters regulars henry talbot lived at 2 umbria st  and father and sons were boiler makers, hope this helps, steve,

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Steve and welcome to Rootschat - can you help with this thread ??...Sammy McNamara is mentioned
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650553.0

ADDED - Apologies Steve - I see you have already posted ...

Offline HarrisonHart

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Steve I am keen to keep in touch and see if you find out what Harrison married a McNamara and had your Grandad Samuel Reuben McNamara.  In the thread mentioned by alan above, I give details of their marriage - you could get their certificate if you have not already, from the GRO x
Angela, Perth, West Australia.

Harrison: Garston (L'pool), Dublin, Athlone, (Irl), Madras/Chennai and Burma (British India/India) and Sth Africa, and Australia.
Hart: Garston and Woolton (UK), Roscommon (Irl).
McC(h)rystal: Garston, Wigan, Desertmartin (Nrthn Irl), Canada, USA, Australia
Miller: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Jones: Garston and ?Ireland/?Wales
Boyle: (Derry, Irl)
Gill: Garston L'pool UK, and Ireland.
Cannon: Woolton and Roscommon
Callaghan: Unknown.
And more.

Offline quintasenshal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Talbot family, Garston, Liverpool
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 September 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi - if anyone is in contact with Steve193 could they tell him please that I have sent him a private message on here.  He hasn't been active on the site since 2016.  Thanks.
Bowling, Cunningham, McNamara, Neve