Author Topic: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham  (Read 47946 times)

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:27 GMT (UK) »
hi

margaret monk was my great g fathers older sister they lived in  close proximity in bolton 

both families became carpet hawkers

one of david and margaret vareys children is buried in preston

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
im looking for photographs of anymore vareys or david varey and his wife margaret monks. also ther is a alice and joseph varey.can anyone help please

i have a photo of margaret monks brother john mank

Offline harrietyarker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
hello . i believe the monk family are married to my Ireland family? My great Grandad was John ireland married Elizabeth proctor. regards Selina
yes we are selina

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 27 April 13 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello.  I'm in Toowoomba, Australia and have been looking for years now for my VAREY ancestors with partial success. 

ROBERT VAREY [RV] is my gggrandfather.  He married twice:  1st to JANE HOOL [JH] in St Mary's Lancaster in 1840; then to ELIZABETH L HOBSON in 1853 in Geelong, Victoria, Australia.

RV emigrated with JH in late 1841, with their baby dtr, Margaret, to Geelong, a port town and entry to the goldfields which followed in the 1850's.

The marriage record for RV and JH gives JOHN VAREY as RV's father; he is a "Labourer".  Could this fit with the TRAVELLERS/ROMANY people?

At present i hold that Robert's parents were John and Elizabeth Earl.  Both came from Kendal area i think. 

In an amateur bio following Robert's death in 1855, in Geelong, it mentions in a rather ambiguous way that either he or/and his father came from Kendal, Westmorland.  Yet other pieces written in local histories say Robert was from Monmouth, Wales.  I cannot reconcile this.

In the 1841 Lancaster census, Robert, Jane and baby Margaret are given along with Robert's colleague, a fellow Mason, Samuel Gilbertson.  They were all living together on Friar Street.  Someone told me that Friar Street is near Monmouth St in Lancaster, so i've wondered if somehow the two Monmouths got confused!

Anyway i'd love to hear from anybody re the linking in of my Robert and James Varey.

Kind regards
Julie

BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline hathaway1961

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 June 13 14:46 BST (UK) »
i am shane varey rom blackpool son of james varey grandson of jake varey

Offline ukaylady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 10 February 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have been researching this travelling family for my good friend whose grandmother was Frances Margaret Varey, (daughter of joseph Varey and sarah Cunningham).
 I have so-far traced quite a bit of information regarding the whereabouts and occupations of the Varey family and got quite far back, I will put details of my findings in my next post, in the hope that it is of use to someone!!
 I have no old pictures of the family. I would love to obtain some photographs of the families once i am past newbie stage on this site !
shelly

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 June 14 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for the investments.
Hope one day to locate my John Varey his wife Elizabeth Earl and their progeny!
Regards,
Julie
Australia
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 17 May 15 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi... I recently found out my VAREY and HOWARD were Romany Gypsy! I think it's pretty cool!

I was hoping, like many folks do, to find some royalty... but I find this more interesting!

My great great grandfather was James Varey, born about 1844... maybe Jan 1844, not proven. He married Dinah Howard. I do NOT know James father, but do know he had a brother, but don't know his name... as his nephew was living with him.

Dinah's parents were John Howard and Margaret Lowther.

John Howard's parents were Richard Howard Sr and Margaret "Unknown"

Margaret Lowther's parents were George Lowther and Dinah "Unknown"

Now James and Dinah Varey had 15 children as per census records, but only 6 were living. The 6 living were: Margaret, Downes, Mary Ann, Grace, Sarah and Dina. For the other 9 children, I found two more, through Baptism records, James (born 1874, but had to have died prior to 1881, as he is not on the census) and Charlotte (born 1877, she was not on the 1881 census either). I am still searching for the other 7 children.

Grace Varey, daughter of James Varey and Dinah Howard is my great grandmother and she moved to NYork in 1894. She had married a Peter Manning. I was told he died in England, but a few days ago, I found a baptism record for a Bridget Manning in Pittsburgh, PA and the parents listed were Peter Manning and Grace nee Varey... I know they had a Peter and Dinah. Was told Dinah died on the ship coming over. Only Grace, Peter and Dinah are listed on the ships records. But before Bridget was born, a census record for the US of 1900 lists a daughter Margaret born in Pennsylvania. Now I believe she may have been born in Pittsburgh, but have not located any records (i.e., baptism). Did Peter come to the US ahead of Grace? Why did she arrive to the New York port instead of Philadelphia? Still so many unanswered questions. I'm doing some research of Pittsburgh to see if I can come up with answers before I make a visit there.

Now, back to James Varey and Dinah Howard. James is listed from 1871 to 1891 as either a Hawker, Hawker of Earthenware, Horse Dealer and Potter (also listed on the baptism records of some of his children.)

Oh, Grace, on the ship's manifest is listed as a Hawker.

Dinah's father, John Howard... on the baptism records of his children, he is listed also as a Hawker of Earthenware and Pottery.

Even John Howard's father, Richard is listed as Hawker, Earthenware.

The places of baptism for the children were: St Mary the Virgin, St Peter and Pudsey Parish Church. Not familiar with England, I tried to research on google map to locate them, but not sure if they are the same churches.

Dates go from 1819 to 1891 from the research I have done. I made contact with a young lady in England who is my 4th cousin once removed through the Howard lineage. She is connected through Howard/Stewart... I'm Howard/Varey.

Researched on Romany Gypsies and found lots of websites that gave me more insight on my ancestors and their way of life. Maybe this is why I enjoy camping so much?

Does anyone have any connections to the names I mentioned? I hope so... I am running into dead ends now :(

Oh, Peter Manning that married Grace Varey is not my great grandfather. Grace is found living in New York on the 1900 census with her children, Peter and Margaret and married to her second husband, who is my great grandfather. So, now I want to find out what happened to Peter Manning. I have a pic of his son, Peter as a grown man and a couple of pics of my grandmother with her siblings and half siblings as well as my great grandmother, Grace.

Thank you for any insight!
Annmarie
William gordon born 1831 died 8th January 1872 old bridge, Stirling,  Scotland married Sarah lowther. Sarah died 17 august 1880, Sarah was born 1828, Leeds, Yorkshire,  daughter of George Lowther

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 18 June 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Flora,

I don't know if my Wilson is modern enough for you, but she is the latest one I have.

Sarah Wilson b: 1837 Lancashire, d: 1912 Leith, Midlothian. 
Daughter of Ambrose Wilson b: abt 1810 Yorks and Christina Miller b: abt 1814 Hexham.

Sarah married William Young b: abt 1836 Yorks, d: 1906 Leith, Midlothian.
I have 11 children for William and Sarah if you are interested.

Jane
Sarah Wilson had a sister Jane (1830-1851)who married Richard Ireland who was the son of Richard Ireland and Jane Ireland nee Varey. Jane had a son by Richard ,Ambrose Ireland. Richard Ireland later married Margaret Varey.