Author Topic: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham  (Read 47897 times)

Offline gentlejimmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 29 July 15 08:11 BST (UK) »
I have a JIMIMIA Varey in my family tree she was married to JOHN GENTLE  does anyone have photos  of her also there are plenty of varey graves in Astley Bridge cemetry bolton regards kathbn

Jimimia  varey and John gentle are my grandparents 

Offline violet varey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am the granddaughter of Jane varey born around 1910. She had a sister margaret. They were born in brooklyn and new jersey.
Their mother was violet varey and their father i understand was violets cousin Downs varey.
Downs died in america and violet returned to england.
I understand Downs was a horse trader. I recall being told relatives were travellers working as hawkers / pedlers of oil skin. I would be scolded if I said Gypsy as we are travellers she would say to me.
I beleive that Frank varey was Janes cousin. She was also called Jenny, and Jean.
I know she was raised in a bow top wagon with several half brothers / sisters in Mansfield.
I would love to know more about my family history if anyone can help.

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Violet
My Great Granddad was John Ireland,i believe his Ireland family married into this Varey family. His wife was Elizabeth Proctor . Do you know Downs mother and father?

Offline magpie28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Violet, there is a marriage for Violet Varey to Downes Varey in Rochdale 1910 regards Margaret
Paton,Clark, Campbell,Mitchell,Anderson. Ayrshire.
Clark,McGowan,Ruddoch[Riddock]Ayrshire,Ireland
Croan Edinburgh
Swales,Robertson,Cunningham,Varey,Forrest,Knowles,Young,Gordon.
Travelers England and Scotland

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi. And welcome violet. I have lots of vary/varey. In my family tree. Seems they were relatives of ours. In traveller Romany. Circles in Lancashire. and Bolton. Areas. Most peddler hawkers. I have them staying Overnight  in. 1881 census.  Look for peter Mitchell. B. 1831. Bolton. And his wife. Mary Mitchell.  Abode. Georgian street.bury.Lancashire. There's traveller folk. Camping and living all about the area.in all censuses of  bury.And on my g.g.father's wedding cert. Clithero. 1898. A Jacob varey. Was his witness. A cousin I believe. Try Lancashire online parish clerk. Site.  By oilskin.I think its oilcloth a floor covering. As that's what we hawked. I did myself. 35 years back.anyway I think there's a link. In there. Pm. Me if you want. or look at my posts. Regards Rob.
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline niller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 05 October 16 01:21 BST (UK) »
i am a varey and live in wigan. im told that my ancestors owned a lot of blackpool namely shops. the donkeys on the beach. and the landau coaches that used to take passengers along the prom

Offline charlie.green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 27 October 16 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hello I have the Vareys from my Wilson side x
Green,Matthews,Drakeley,Lord,Measures,Taylor,Wilson,Else,Elverson,Bucknall,Swift,Patrick,Bruce,Bates,Beeby,Brown,Reed,