Author Topic: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham  (Read 47944 times)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lancashire travellers, Varey, Cunningham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 January 10 15:21 GMT (UK) »
manishen,i have vareys,but down as vasey. in the 1881 bury lancs census, staying with my gg dad at georgeana street,you can find it on famliy search site,
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 10 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob G

Sorry for not replying sooner,Havent had internet for a couple of months.

Jane Ann Wilson was my Gr.Aunt, as far as I know she married her cousin Abraham.

Jane Ann,s parents were Thomas Wilson and Margaret Jamieson

Abraham,s parents were James Wilson and Annie Lee

Margaret Jamieson died in the showground love st. Paisley,I think she must have been travelling with a fair.

Jane Ann,s brother James Wilson(my gr.granda) married a Jane Watson,she was of the travelling people too,

On my grandmothers death certificate, it says that James Wilson her father was a horse dealer.

Flora
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 10:08 GMT (UK) »
 hi ,florabrooks. have a look on family search.org. type in william mitchell in name box and  england 1881 in the census in bury lancs you can find staying with william mitchell, a joe  vasey age 22. bella age 21. and son james. the names are down as vasey.but i know it should be veray,as my g g mother told me when i was little we were related to the vareys and that they used to stay with her husband peter in bury lancs .by the way i was 12 years old when my g.g.mother died,she was 88 years old.she married the boy called peter in the household.she said the vareys were full cousin to peter.and she knew them.   by the way my ,g.uncle abraham wilson. was a car dealer in kilmarnock as was his son and grandson but he hawked also and would deal in anything.i cannot find anything on his father jim wilson married to annie lee.except that he is in carlisle cemetary but did know abraham and  his  brothers jack and jim wilson.and sons tom and jim wilson.there are others but not sure about them.but i think its got to be the same famliy,it would be interesting if you can find anything more,  i can tell you  my james wilson was wed three times i belive,once in his seventys. rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline florabrooks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi RobG

Thanks for replying,You mentioned that Abraham was a car dealer among other things,I remember my gran Mary saying her brother,I think Jimmy was his name , was also a car dealer either in Greenock or Paisley

I remember when I was a wee girl seeing him and his wife they had 2 wee yorkie dogs

My aunt say,s that one of my grans brothers married ? bunce do you know any connection to a Bunce family

I dont know if you are a member of Genes Reunited I have my family tree on there.

I am still looking for any leads to the modern Wilson families.

Flora
tinsmiths and hawkers Watson,Wilson,Swales,Hartley,Neilson,Johnstone and many more
Dumbartonshire/Doran.Lees,Brooks,Boyle,Stewart
Argyllshire,Marquis,McCoag,Johnson,McEacheren,Sinclair and Bain

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad: John Parkinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Flora,

I don't know if my Wilson is modern enough for you, but she is the latest one I have.

Sarah Wilson b: 1837 Lancashire, d: 1912 Leith, Midlothian. 
Daughter of Ambrose Wilson b: abt 1810 Yorks and Christina Miller b: abt 1814 Hexham.

Sarah married William Young b: abt 1836 Yorks, d: 1906 Leith, Midlothian.
I have 11 children for William and Sarah if you are interested.

Jane
Edinburgh: Parkinson, Young, Richardson, Melrose, Arnott
Lanarkshire: Richardson, Muir, Buchanan, McMurtrie
Dumfieshire: Richardson, Muir.
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.
Bristol: Jones, Cleak, Greening.
Exeter: Jones, Gregory, Greenslade, Pannel.

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 10:41 GMT (UK) »
hi, flora i am not a member of your site at genes, but would like to visit as a guest if possible, you can view my tree as a visitor, on   (my heritage ) site, Robert Mitchell family tree. abraham wilsons sister susie,my g. mother is on there. or you can contact me on e mail at (*) there are lots of wilson relatives that i know. but lots are dead now. abraham had other other sisters.one called katy wed a traveller called jim howard. they are olso in carlisle city grave yard.near abrahams father. james, annie lee his wife, is buried with my grand mother susie i have camped with lot of my wilson side decendents.but not the scots side.if you want any more info give me an email.rob

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline sss1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 July 10 00:31 BST (UK) »
hello there manishen. the sarah jane cunningham you ask about is my gggrandmother. i have documents her marriage certificate and also a lovely photograph of her and joseph varey 17th feb 1872, and you are correct in thinking that lizzie and andrew are her parents. you can email me at (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline manishen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 July 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello SSS1, thanks so much for posting, I have sent you a mail message.
Varey, Cunningham, Young, Swales, Forest, Morrison, Ross, Miller: travellers and earthenware dealers across lancs, Cumbria, Westmorland, Yorkshire, Durham, Northumberland

Offline belindataylor19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Taylor,Hives, Reeves
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
any of you guy's came across Taylor, Hives or Reeves when you have been searching