Author Topic: Maria Baron  (Read 5634 times)

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maria Baron
« on: Wednesday 23 September 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Struggling with this branch of my family tree. Can anyone help me please?

Maria Baron my gg grandmother

Married 31 August 1851 at All Saints Church in the Parish of Manchester to John Hakesley. Her marriage cert does not state her age.
Father John Baron
Son Henry Hakesley B 1861 Clayton, Manchester.

I have looked at records. Did find a Maria Baron born 1827 father John on 1841 census. Thought this could possibly be her. But when I looked at DR 1841-1851 6 John Barons died in that time frame, so am not positive now.

Also found a Maria Baron working as a 'milliner' in house of 'milliner's' in 1851 with her child states she was widowed. Again, this could be her. Checked registers she had not been married so widowhood must of been a fib. Not sure either about the daughter/mother relationship. Did Madam's call their girls daughters?

This is all I have folks. Any help greatly appreciated.  A bit of a challenge!!

Regards Alison

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Baron
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
not sure if it is me getting confused, you say you have the marriage certificate of Maria 1851?
yet have found her on the 1851 census as widow?
just to clear up things before people are searching?

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Yes census done at start of year. Can't remember month off top of my head. She was married Aug 1851

Regards

Alison

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
Do you have Maria on the 1861 census?  That would give a date and place of birth to help search. 

I can't see a birth reg for Henry HAKESLEY in Manchester in 1861, although I see him on census with that birthplace in 1891/1901.  (There's a Henry HAKESLEY born in Birmingham in 1861 on Free BMD.)

According to the marriage cert, what are the occupations of John BARON and John HAKESLEY?  Are the witnesses family members?

Added:  Forget the Birmingham birth - it's on IGI with parents William and Hannah. 
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline les_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:22 BST (UK) »
yes the census was taken in June, when you say she is a widow
but you have her marrying in the August?? are you saying it was a 2nd marriage?
so have you other names, ie Baron was not her birth name? but father is John Baron

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Henry Hakesley says on 1891 & 1901 census that he is born in Clayton, Manchester (I have to say he was not supposedly a very nice man and so this could be a lie). He is not on any earlier census.

I was just going to add a new topic re Henry asking if it is likely his birth would not be recorded. I had seen the BR for Henry for Warks.

Neither Maria or John appear on the 1861 census. John dies 1867. Maria Hakesley doesn't show on any later census.

John Baron (Maria's father) was a wool comber. William Hakesley (Johns father) as a Brick Setter. I did wonder if John and William are journeymen and this is why I am having difficulty locating them.

Maria shows as a milliner in a house of milliners. I believe this could be a house of ill repute. Apparently, this was a nicer occupation to show for them than prostitute!!. Yes it says she is widowed, but there is no earlier record of a marriage, but there is a son. The marriage cert states both Maria and John as widow and widower. Again though no record of John having been previously married either. I think there may be a cover up for Maria if she was in deed a milliner.

Regards

Alison

Regards

Alison  

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:33 BST (UK) »
I've got a nice family haven't I!!!

The other branch of my family are far more respectable, but not as interesting

Ali

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
This is the best I can see for Henry HAKESLEY in 1871, but the mother's name is wrong!  (Unless Maria died, and John remarried?)

RG10/4058; Folio 102; Page 13
1 Wardle St, Newton, Manchester

Ellen EXLEY - Head - Widow - 46 - Charwoman - Manchester
Amelia EXLEY - Dau - 12 - Scholar - Clayton
Henry EXLEY - Son - 10 - Scholar - Clayton
Jenet EXLEY - Dau - 8 - Scholar - Clayton
Wallace EXLEY - Son - 6 - Sheffield

Where did you find the name of Henry's mother if you don't have a birth cert for him?
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Marias name is on her marriage cert