Author Topic: James Kerwick Thurles  (Read 11315 times)

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Kerwick Thurles
« on: Saturday 26 September 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi I am seeking information on the following ancestors. James Kerwick age 24 of Thurles County Tipperary, and wife Celia (Cecelia) Moran age 28 of Tyrell's Pass King's County arrived in Sydney Australia 6th January 1852. James parents Patrick and Margaret, mother living in Omum. Celia's parents William and Ann Moran living at Tyrell's Pass. All there children were born in Australia. I would appreciate if anyone can assist with marriage certificates details etc. or parents death details.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerwick Thurles
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 September 09 11:22 BST (UK) »
Full civil registration started here in Ireland in 1864, non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 - so if James and Celia were Church of Ireland for example, their marriage could be listed on the Civil index. You can search the index on this familysearch website : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1408347;p=2;t=searchable

you can order certs using the index details form the GRO (www.groireland.ie)

To search for earlier parish records (if they still exist) you would need to know religion and a precise location - e.g. parish, town or townland.

Some Co. Tipperary parish transcripts are available on the pay website of the Irish Family History Foundation - www.irish-roots.ie

I only know of one town named Tyrrellspass, and it's in County Westmeath (King's County is an old name for Co. Offaly)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 September 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. Sorry, I didn't mention that both James and Celia were Roman Catholic. Also can anyone tell me where Omum is?
Wendy

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
Wendy

I could not find any townland/district in Tipperary to match Omum but this may be a possibility. In Griffiths Valuation (land tax records) for Tipperary there is a Patrick Kerwick in the townland of Roan Killenaule parish. These records are from about 1850-1853 Could Roan have been misheard (given an Irish accent) as Orum? While it may sound far-fetched I think it may be a possibility.
See sitehttp://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&familyname=Kerwick&firstname=Patrick&baronyname=&countyname=TIPPERARY%2C+SOUTH+RIDING&unionname=&parishname=&Submit.x=14&Submit.y=13
Killenaule is to the southeast of Thurles town see map http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&source=hp&q=Killenaule+tipperary&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Killenaule,+Co.+Tipperary&gl=ie&ei=rkS-SpyLDtCZjAfs641P&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1
As was pointed out the main records for Catholics before 1864 are parish/church records. If it is the right parish Killenaule parish records start quite early Baptisms from 1742-1802 a gap and then 1827 to 1880. They are not available online as Killenaule is in the diocese of Cashel and Emly and the records are only available on a commission basis from the Tipperary town heritage centre http://www.tfhr.org/ or by personal research in the National Library Dublin where they are on microfilm.

Hope this is of help

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry everyone. Went back over original shipping record with a fine tooth comb. As I am unfamiliar with towns, may have misread town. Still unsure of exact spelling but it appears the O should be a D. Maybe Drum. Is that a place?
Wendy

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 September 09 22:23 BST (UK) »
Wendy
It probably is Drom which is quite near the town of Thurles - the sources for the parish records are the same as for Killenaule. The baptismal and marriage records start in 1827 -1880.
annclare

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 September 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Will chase up the parish record for Drom.
Another quick question - If Kerwick is not a common name then what about Kirby/Kerby? James and Cecila arrived in Australia as Kerwick, had first two children Margaret & Patrick as Kerwick, then next five were registered as follows: Anne Kirby, John Kerwick & Kirby, James Kirby, Mary Kerwick & Kirby and William Kerby. Don't understand change of name but James & Cecila deaths registed as Kirby. Parents for James, Patrick, Wheelwright and Margaret Kirk. Parents for Cecilia, William Moran, Farmer mother unknown.
I apologise for not including all this information beforehand. As I'm new at this I am slowly learning what to do.
Thanks again

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 September 09 19:35 BST (UK) »
RE Kirby and Kerwick
Have a look at this site which indicates that Kirby and Kerwick are variants of the same surname - this rather surprised me- but it is a reputable site. It also shows the distribution of the surname

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=Go.&UserID=

There is no Kerwick or Kirby showing in Drum parish in Griffiths Valuation (land tax records) Wonder if you should continue looking for Kerwick.
annclare

Offline cassofromdyers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 September 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks wondered why the two names. That site explained it. Back to the drawing board I think.
Wendy