Author Topic: German Pork Butchers in Britain  (Read 224262 times)

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: German Pork Butchers in Britain
« Reply #180 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
Dear SwissGill,

Thank you for your information, which anyway is quite helpful.
I am just about to unbundle the close knit web of various butcher families in and around the Pfisterer - Brück connections.
I think with the help of Künzelsau's archivist we'll manage to get a starting point to find the villages of origin of those different families and then have a possibility to link your English data to those of their forefathers in the Hohenlohe area.
It will become an exciting but time-consuming endeavour.

I have now incorporated all the information you sent me into my "Kocherstetten List" of pork butchers in Britain and I am still waiting for some more information from the archivist to include. As soon as I have everything put together, I will send you the list.

Have a nice weekend
Histres

German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline tsidey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I am new to this site but would like to throw another name into the German pork butchers soup.  I am researching Robert Volland's family from Wurttemburg.  He came to England in the 1880's and had a shop at 369 High Street in Stratford until his death in 1911.  He married Eva Marie Gansler or Gausler and they had 8 children.  Many of the boys left the U.K. (probably because of anti-German sentiment) but 2 stayed.  I am interested in trying to find exactly where the Vollands came from and trying to contact living members.  Any nudges in the right direction would be really helpful.
Thanks
Bermuda Girl

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Saturday 04 September 10 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Hires,

more Künzelsau pork butchers:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,968.msg2317564.html#msg2317564

I think this is the same family mentioned here:
Topic: Germany: KNELLER
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,357124.30.html

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Histres

Saying "Thank you" alone doesn't seem to express what I am feeling. I am so very grateful for all the work you have done and are intending to do.

Margarethe Brück had a brother Johann, born Kocherstetten 1850 who came to England  before 1871 (census) with his wife Rosine born 1842 Morsbach (maiden name unknown). She was on the 1881 Census as "sister" but Margarethe had already re-married and borne 4 more children to an English man, Robert Wallis. Residence was Mexborough. I assume she was Margarethe's sister-in-law.

Johann or, as he called himself, John Briggs, left with his wife in 1883 for America.

Maybe my newly found cousin has some information on the Heinzmanns. Will ask.

I wish you a very nice weekend, too.

Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Saturday 04 September 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi BerlinBob,

Thank you for your hints and links. Yes, the Kneller family that is mentioned in both the links you posted is one and the same family. We have already been in contact on the Kneller familyfrom Künzelsau. You'll find our conversation in the second link. So far I have found 28 Künzelsau pork butchers having emigrated to Britain and I'm sure there must have been even more originating alone from this small town.
However, the Knockaloe discussion in your first link broadens my knowledge about the camp. Thanks again.

Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline kneller1980

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • My gt grandfather and Gt Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Monday 06 September 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, my family are the Kneller family posted in Bobs links...would anyone recommend the Sue Gibbons book? I've took a break from the family tree for a while and now i'm getting ready to start all over again :) excited about it :)
Tomlin: Shropshire
Tomline:shropshire
Swift: Shropshire,Staffordshire
Kneller: Wolverhampton,Swindon, Manchester,Germany.
Howes: West Bromwich
Stanton: West Bromwich
Kimberley: Wombourne
Price: Birmingham
Palmer: Birmingham
Mann:Staffordshire.

And whatever else all my digging turns up :)

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, my family are the Kneller family posted in Bobs links...would anyone recommend the Sue Gibbons book? I've took a break from the family tree for a while and now i'm getting ready to start all over again :) excited about it :)

Sue Gibbons book is a good source of history and attached is another source from our friend on rootschat. Good Luck
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline jane weston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Monday 04 October 10 04:36 BST (UK) »
for Patricia

please contact me about Hamsteads

Jane

Offline rothermeldan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello rothermelbird.
         I am the grandson of your fathers half brother. He is 90 and still alive and married. My grandparents have just reached their 65th wedding anniversary. I have tried contacting someone from your website through Linkedin over the past year with no luck.I too have visited Horlebach ( three times since 2000) and the last visit was August this year with my parents as they were interested in seeing the village.I am afraid I know nothing of any deeds for the property mentioned.
Hope to hear from you.